PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Hokydad
05-03-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm sticking with my original prediction... It's not Corkum. Too much wasted time and $$ to go thru all this and still have it be him.
I don't know who it will be, but I don't see Bob winning out over everyone else.

$$?? What $$ 5+ Guys doing meetings and conference calls? They do the committee on a volunteer basis. Doesnt cost the school a dime.

Corkum will be the new head coach and Maine will be back in the Garden next year, following year at the latest.

Priceless
05-03-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm with you on Corkum. I'm pretty convinced that a lot of people would be unhappy regardless of who was picked. Look at the facts with Corkum; went to Maine, played a lot of games in the NHL, hard worker, and seems to be a man of high integrity. I honestly think him sticking with the team for so long shows loyalty and commitment more than anything else. It couldn't have been a lot of fun and it shows how much he cares about the program. Despite all this the grass will always be greener for a lot of folks.
Corkum is a fine choice. I've said all along the process is completely unfair to him. He is being set up to fail. He will forever be compared to Jimmy at Denver (and maybe Gwoz at UConn). If the school had just come out and said he was the guy that would have been more acceptable to me than this 2-3 month farce of an "evaluation" and "search" for a new coach. My problem is more with the athletic department than with Corkum, although Bob did do a pretty good job of throwing his old boss under the bus. When he becomes the head coach it will feel more like a coup d'etat than a coronation.

Maineiak
05-03-2013, 10:21 AM
"Athletic Director Steve Abbott has indicated that the Athletics Department is committed to reimbursing the presidentís investment through anticipated revenues generated by renewing fan interest and increased ticket sales"

http://bangordailynews.com/slideshow/umaine-fires-mens-hockey-coach-tim-whitehead-2/

around the 3 minute mark
http://www.fandomsportsme.com/college-sports/college-sports/maine-ad-steve-abbott-on-the-firing-of-tim-whitehead

Nice little fantasy. Donor funds were used to payoff the final year. The information I have is that one donor put up the funds for the buyout.

I am in the minority apparently, I think Corkum would be a great hire and his enthusiasm and passion for Maine Hockey will bring the program back. The recruiting issue is a tough one, not one of us is really privy to anything that happens in regards to recruiting.

I agree this is a fantasy. Playing devils advocate, what if the new coach fizzles and the renewed interest and increased ticket sales don't materialize? Are they going to take the reimbursement out of the AD's budget? I highly doubt it. Donated funds to a President's discretionary fund were used to buy-out the contract. Period. The rest is fluff.

Priceless
05-03-2013, 10:33 AM
I agree this is a fantasy. Playing devils advocate, what if the new coach fizzles and the renewed interest and increased ticket sales don't materialize? Are they going to take the reimbursement out of the AD's budget? I highly doubt it. Donated funds to a President's discretionary fund were used to buy-out the contract. Period. The rest is fluff.

The PLAN is to use this new revenue that flows into the program to reimburse the president's fund. Whether you want to believe that's fluff, a fantasy or whatever, that's the stated plan. Of course, this is the same athletic department that conducted a 15-day "evaluation" and a 2 month coaching "search" so who knows what the truth is.

gscott13
05-03-2013, 10:51 AM
so the UAA search has turned into a complete cluster****... apparently, after announcing that they had their four finalists, they are putting the search on hold, restructuring the committee and opening it up to more candidates... their selection committee was the bball coach, the running coach, the vball coach and a faculty member... good lord

http://www.adn.com/2013/05/02/2888552/uaa-puts-search-for-hockey-coach.html#storylink=cpy

all bear
05-03-2013, 11:37 AM
so the UAA search has turned into a complete cluster****... apparently, after announcing that they had their four finalists, they are putting the search on hold, restructuring the committee and opening it up to more candidates... their selection committee was the bball coach, the running coach, the vball coach and a faculty member... good lord

http://www.adn.com/2013/05/02/2888552/uaa-puts-search-for-hockey-coach.html#storylink=cpy

Cant understand why the badminton coach wasnt on the search committee. Inexcusable.

BassAle
05-03-2013, 12:19 PM
You are not in the minority at all. 3 or 4 people telling us 75 times a day how it is a mistake is not the majority, it is the vocal minority. The silent majority will be happy with the pick

Everyone I've talked with is skeptical. Corkum has to take some of the blame for the poor performance of the team during his tenure. If the team had been doing well and Timmay was retiring or moving on by his own choice then Corkum would be near the top of the list. When you clean house you need to really clean house.

Most people I've talked with seem to think either the search is a farce and Abbott was planning on handing the job to Corkum all along, or 2) the University is really mismanaging this to the point that they will lose out on all of the top candidates. No one has been excited over the prospect of Corkum.

amherstblackbear
05-03-2013, 12:33 PM

If we're just going to promote Corkum from within, maybe UAA should just promote Campbell Blair. He's a defense and goaltending guy, right? Let him focus on making it a PITA to play UAA. They should be able to get back to winning some games, esp at home . . . right?

On a side note, that has to be some of the all-time greatest spin I've ever seen. "We had a good process in place, but there was so much community interest that . . . we decided to make it even better."

That's almost worth digging up an ASCII 'ROFLCOPTER' :D

True Blue Fan
05-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Everyone I've talked with is skeptical. Corkum has to take some of the blame for the poor performance of the team during his tenure. If the team had been doing well and Timmay was retiring or moving on by his own choice then Corkum would be near the top of the list. When you clean house you need to really clean house.

Most people I've talked with seem to think either the search is a farce and Abbott was planning on handing the job to Corkum all along, or 2) the University is really mismanaging this to the point that they will lose out on all of the top candidates. No one has been excited over the prospect of Corkum.

I am not so sure Corkum has to take much blame. No one really knows how the recruiting his handled and why the players do or do not come here in most cases. An assistant coach is to assist the head coach, nothing more, nothing less. The head coach bears the ultimate responsibility for the program from top to bottom. I do know that Corkum tried to work in some of his ideas and thoughts but was pretty much ignored by Tim. What can Corkum do at that point?

I don't have much to say on the search, except I don't believe Peter Metcalf would be involved if it were a straight dog and pony show. I know he loves Maine Hockey and will bleed blue forever.

Priceless
05-03-2013, 12:50 PM

Bear in mind that this is the only forum Hokydad has access to, and quite frankly, it isn't representative of the Maine fan base. It's representative of a portion of the fan base certainly, but there are a great many prominent members who do not post here. Are any members here FOMH? How many regular posters are donors to the program? How many alumni from the hockey team post here? He is right that it's a vocal part of the fan base, but he really shouldn't base much off what he sees here. There are very few opinions I value above my own when it comes to Maine Hockey and most of them have not said who they think will be the next coach and certainly have not said whether they think Corkum will be a good coach. We are the ones speculating.

walrus
05-03-2013, 04:13 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BLV8GEn7ITM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gustav with the winner last night, couple nice assists before he roofs it

rufus
05-03-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm with priceless(did I really say that?) in that it's the process that has sucked, the whole way. If they wanted to see what Corkum could do, the time to find outwould have been last December. As ABB has said repeatedly, TIMMAY did nothing over the last three months of the season that would have justified firing him that hadn't been there the first three months. In fact, he probably did enough to improve his chances to come back.

All I know is that if the choice is Corkum, Kerluke has to go. You can't name one assistant as the next head coach, and keep the other also, and say you're changing the team. It's just too much of the TIMMAY regime still in place, and in the fan's heads.

Ma#1ne Hky
05-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Does anyone out there think that BC's Cavanaugh could be a sleeper pick if he does not get the UConn job..? Could be the Clean House Plan..? No/Yes..?

joecct
05-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Re salary. The Boston Herald database of Msssachusetts salaries shows Norm Bazin made ~$220K last year. That looks to be the HEA norm with you have to figure Jerry and Jack to be outliers on the high end.

If the Rangers go out early, why not Torts?

carltonbarrett
05-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Hoky, am curious as to why you are so convinced that Maine is soon going to be a top-tier hockey east team. Am sure Corkum is a good coach but I just don't see what Separates Maine from other up and coming HE schools like PC, UML and even MC not to mention perennial powers like BC, BU, UNH and now ND. Maine will never compete with those top schools for recruits, so you obviously must think Corkum is pretty darn good....

amherstblackbear
05-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Re salary. The Boston Herald database of Msssachusetts salaries shows Norm Bazin made ~$220K last year. That looks to be the HEA norm with you have to figure Jerry and Jack to be outliers on the high end.

If the Rangers go out early, why not Torts?

Capuano's out there, too. But his job is probably safe even if the Pens destroy the Isles.

Wait, did I just write "if?" Make that "when" the Pens finish destroying the Isles... :P

dwollstadt
05-03-2013, 07:15 PM
All I know is that if the choice is Corkum, Kerluke has to go. You can't name one assistant as the next head coach, and keep the other also, and say you're changing the team. It's just too much of the TIMMAY regime still in place, and in the fan's heads.If I were Corkum (or anyone else who might be selected as Maine's new coach), I'd want to select my own assistants--no ifs, ands, or buts. If Corkum is selected and thinks that Kerluke will help the team be successful, that's his call to make.

sandiegoblkbr
05-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Has the committee met yet?:rolleyes:

ck1969
05-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Capuano's out there, too. But his job is probably safe even if the Pens destroy the Isles.

Wait, did I just write "if?" Make that "when" the Pens finish destroying the Isles... :P

Hmmmmmm. NYI 4 Pens 3. Lol. ;)

DoubleA
05-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Hmmmmmm. NYI 4 Pens 3. Lol. ;)
Does anyone out here in USCHO forum land know any candidates definitely on the list other than Cork? Not speculation, hard info. Curious to know if anyone has it.