PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

amherstblackbear
04-30-2013, 09:44 PM
Corkum being named HC of Ivan Hinkla is a very nice honor, those are the kids Maine needs

Coachin in AHL is very tough with some orgs. Some teams, like Hershey try to make money and win. Others all about farm team and development, tough to win

AHL coaches also get told, "play him every situation, no matter what"

Pellerin is a winner. Corkum still gets the job

True. That's what's tough about the minors. I don't follow that club, so I'm not up to speed on roster moves, but I have to think that organization is happy just to have the Icelanders back in the SC playoffs.

hope they don't blink. :P

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
05-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Leaman applied/had conversations...to leverage an extension at PC...so that's one. It's also possible D3 head coaches applied.

Fishman'81
05-01-2013, 01:45 AM
I wonder if Gwoz is actually in the mix, or has decided to sit and wait. (I'm betting that a lot of D-1 jobs will be open next year, maybe even Minnesota's.)

Ma#1ne Hky
05-01-2013, 03:32 AM
I wonder if Gwoz is actually in the mix, or has decided to sit and wait. (I'm betting that a lot of D-1 jobs will be open next year, maybe even Minnesota's.)Could be more like Michigan State/they are fit to be tied with the Coach they have and there's word they may buy-out his deal after next season if no improvement.

all bear
05-01-2013, 06:44 AM
Yeah, chit I'll buy everyone a pizza if Gwoz ends up at Maine. Cannot possibly see that happening. MSU would be a plum job and he'd be all over that I would suspect. And I cant quite see Pellerin behind the bench...too many unknowns. This is looking more and more to me like Corkums job to lose. Only way I can see him missing out is if he says something like "I think Timmay was God" :D

sandiegoblkbr
05-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Is Nero done fiddling yet?.............:rolleyes:

Hockeyman99
05-01-2013, 10:54 AM
We really can't blame or give credit to Bob for the recruiting over the last 5 years. The head coach had final authority over the selection of recruits, the offer, and the sales pitch. In short Tim had control over the entire process including the management of the roster. My sense is that we lost numerous recruits through paralysis by analysis, and several where a more dynamic, enthusiastic sales presentation might have convinced the recruit to come to Maine. I recall Tim saying that it was hard to recruit at Maine. I know from personal experience that it is real difficult to sell something that you don't believe in!

Runsub5
05-01-2013, 11:44 AM
We really can't blame or give credit to Bob for the recruiting over the last 5 years. The head coach had final authority over the selection of recruits, the offer, and the sales pitch. In short Tim had control over the entire process including the management of the roster. My sense is that we lost numerous recruits through paralysis by analysis, and several where a more dynamic, enthusiastic sales presentation might have convinced the recruit to come to Maine. I recall Tim saying that it was hard to recruit at Maine. I know from personal experience that it is real difficult to sell something that you don't believe in!

Tim worked tirelessly for Maine and was responsible for raising money (part of his job), for the Shawn Walsh Center and Alfond Arena renovation. Tim could only approve or disapprove the players that he was presented with by his recruiters. I don't think it is legitimate to blame Tim solely. He loved Maine hockey and left with dignity.

amherstblackbear
05-01-2013, 12:11 PM
There's something to be said for both sides.

Recruiting falls more on assistants than on the head coach. The head coach is responsible, broadly, for the state of the program, so clearly the HC influences recruiting because he's responsible for what the recruiters are selling.

So the only answer to the question of whether Whitehead or Corkum bears responsibility is "yes." Maine hasn't had the talent they've needed lately to compete at the level we want. That reflects on both. Which is one reason why I was (and am) in favor of a clean break.

Drew S.
05-01-2013, 12:27 PM
There's something to be said for both sides.

Recruiting falls more on assistants than on the head coach. The head coach is responsible, broadly, for the state of the program, so clearly the HC influences recruiting because he's responsible for what the recruiters are selling.

So the only answer to the question of whether Whitehead or Corkum bears responsibility is "yes." Maine hasn't had the talent they've needed lately to compete at the level we want. That reflects on both. Which is one reason why I was (and am) in favor of a clean break.

If Timmy didn't like the recruits Bob and Danny were bringing in why didn't he fire them and hire other assistants? The person who is in charge has all the responsibility as far as I'm concerned. I still think maintain that the recruiting has been pretty good the last four or five years. The bad classes that graduated a few years ago were recruited long before Bob or Danny were on the scene.

amherstblackbear
05-01-2013, 12:42 PM
The superclass of Flynn, Abbott, Diamond, and Nyquist was recruited before Corkum started at Maine.

This year is the first class the he can take credit for.

If you ask me, that's a huge drop-off. Beyond huge. So is next year's class. Probably his 3rd class, too. This year's freshman class is the fourth on Corkum's watch. I'll grant you that the trajectory looks good. This year's class is closer to what Maine needs every year. But I just don't see how there's any question that Corkum's first three were lacking.

As for the other point, it just doesn't matter. Really, what difference does it make? If the assistants aren't doing a good job, and it's the HC's responsibility to replace them and he doesn't . . . that's not exactly an argument in *favor* of the assistants. Your point is just that assistants' failures are also the HC's failure. I can concede that point, and it changes nothing about why I think a clean break would be best.

Of course, this is all hypothetical. I'm going to give Corkum a fair chance, mainly because I have no say in the matter. :)

EDIT:

On second thought, this might actually be a really good argument for promoting Corkum and bringing in a new guy to take lead responsibility for recruiting :D

Drew S.
05-01-2013, 01:49 PM
The superclass of Flynn, Abbott, Diamond, and Nyquist was recruited before Corkum started at Maine.

This year is the first class the he can take credit for.

If you ask me, that's a huge drop-off. Beyond huge. So is next year's class. Probably his 3rd class, too. This year's freshman class is the fourth on Corkum's watch. I'll grant you that the trajectory looks good. This year's class is closer to what Maine needs every year. But I just don't see how there's any question that Corkum's first three were lacking.

As for the other point, it just doesn't matter. Really, what difference does it make? If the assistants aren't doing a good job, and it's the HC's responsibility to replace them and he doesn't . . . that's not exactly an argument in *favor* of the assistants. Your point is just that assistants' failures are also the HC's failure. I can concede that point, and it changes nothing about why I think a clean break would be best.

Of course, this is all hypothetical. I'm going to give Corkum a fair chance, mainly because I have no say in the matter. :)

EDIT:

On second thought, this might actually be a really good argument for promoting Corkum and bringing in a new guy to take lead responsibility for recruiting :D

Diamond was a year behind the other guys. I'm not sure comparing classes is a very useful exercise. There surely is different money/spots available from class to class. On top of that the talent available isn't the same every year. Where some of the guys commit three or four years before they show up it can get confusing which coach recruited which player. I feel like in general though the quality of the commits Maine has received the last few years, irrespective of class, has been pretty good.

For better or worse, it looks like Bob is the best available option by quite a distance.

BearBrews
05-01-2013, 02:00 PM
AmherstBlackBear, you're 1,000,000% right.

First of all, Brian Flynn wasn't a major get as a recruit. He was a nobody who caught the eye of assistants at Maine and got a shot to come up. He is a hell of a player, and I am glad he came. But he wasn't some "WOAH!" major get out of high school. He literally only got an offer at Maine.

Anyone who says Corkum is/was anything other than miserable at recruiting doesn't know their *** from their elbow. When Corkum sat in the driver's seat to sell this program, he had:

1. A decently positioned program with recent frozen four appearances and a good class coming in
2. A program not far removed from dynasty status
3. An arena that kids DIE to play in, resources and training rooms that are as good or better than anything else in college, a place where kids can come in and be IT right away. Players love Alfond. People want to play there.

I had friends that were top flight recruits, second round picks. One in particular had two calls with Grant Standbrook, was interested in the program wanted to come up, but in transition NEVER got roped in by the rest of the staff. He ended up playing at another Hockey East Program. He would have been tremendously helpful on a line at Maine. What happened Bob?

Gut the fish that is Maine Hockey. Start this thing over.

irishfan85
05-01-2013, 02:26 PM
First of all, Brian Flynn wasn't a major get as a recruit. He was a nobody who caught the eye of assistants at Maine and got a shot to come up. He is a hell of a player, and I am glad he came. But he wasn't some "WOAH!" major get out of high school. He literally only got an offer at Maine.

Flynn had no D1 offers right out of prep then got a few ECAC offers and Merrimack and Providence after Monarchs. He chose Maine at last minute, but didn't get money right away so it was luck that the staff got him.

Priceless and others think it's Corkum's. I'm beginning to think it will go to someone else...

irishfan85
05-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Yeah, chit I'll buy everyone a pizza if Gwoz ends up at Maine. Cannot possibly see that happening. MSU would be a plum job and he'd be all over that I would suspect.

Only thing working in Maine's favor is his age, not knowing how fast MSU, Wisconsin jobs open up.

Drew S.
05-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Only thing working in Maine's favor is his age, not knowing how fast MSU, Wisconsin jobs open up.

Has he been on campus? I suppose a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I would rather see someone with Maine ties, but he certainly has a stron track record.

walrus
05-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Priceless and others think it's Corkum's. I'm beginning to think it will go to someone else...
Me too, the longer it takes the more I think someone else has the job. Why take this long to name Corkum?

Priceless
05-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Me too, the longer it takes the more I think someone else has the job. Why take this long to name Corkum?

Why take 15 days to decide to fire Whitehead?

daaabears
05-01-2013, 03:15 PM
I had friends that were top flight recruits, second round picks. One in particular had two calls with Grant Standbrook, was interested in the program wanted to come up, but in transition NEVER got roped in by the rest of the staff. He ended up playing at another Hockey East Program. He would have been tremendously helpful on a line at Maine. What happened Bob?

Standbrook and Bob never coached Maine at the same time . So it was not Bob's responsibility

walrus
05-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Why take 15 days to decide to fire Whitehead?
Money? Although my source say 1 donor took care of that. I dunno, I assume Abbott and company were in town and could have done it anytime. Actually why did they wait until after the season if they just wanted to appoint Corkum as coach?