This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

I thought it seemed unlikely that Gwoz would sit out a year, essentially waiting for the Michigan State job, since MSU's coach will still have 3 years on contract after next season.

But maybe that isn't so crazy. Gwozdecky's getting paid this season. I figured at his age he wouldn't want to wait forever, but maybe there's a job coming down the pike that he really wants?

To rewrite the old adage: A Michigan State in the bush is worth more than a Maine or Connecticut in the hand?
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
      I thought it seemed unlikely that Gwoz would sit out a year, essentially waiting for the Michigan State job, since MSU's coach will still have 3 years on contract after next season.

But maybe that isn't so crazy. Gwozdecky's getting paid this season. I figured at his age he wouldn't want to wait forever, but maybe there's a job coming down the pike that he really wants?

To rewrite the old adage: A Michigan State in the bush is worth more than a Maine or Connecticut in the hand?
      I told you that is what is going to happen but what do I know

Comment

Yes, you said it would happen, but there are a couple complications:

Will MSU pull the trigger even if Anastos has a good season?
        Talk is cheap. When the time comes, will MSU really flush away three years of salary to make a change?

This board is rife with accurate, but really vague information. It's not that I don't believe you. It's just that it would be easier to believe if those other questions had good answers

From Gwoz's perspective, there's a big difference between "Hang tight. We're definitely making you an offer -- we just have to postdate the check" and "Hold on, there's a chance we might be able to hire you if everything falls just right."

If I'm 59 and I want to work again, I might be okay with situation 1. I'd be a little suspicious of situation 2.

$.02
        Last edited by amherstblackbear; 04-24-2013, 01:57 PM.
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          I'll take that bet.
          like i said, it just reaffirms why i keep my money off the table...

that said, you have to laugh... it didn't take long for me to "lose"

Comment

So if Jeff Cox is right on his May 6th deadline, we've got another 12 days of this...

that said, if they go to that date, the fire to hire would be 27 days (not taking into account the review period which was a defacto "see you later timmay)

Denver closed their position in 15 days
            Ohio State closed their's in 9 days
            Alaska-Anchorage has been open for 27 days and counting. They have announced their finalists and are in the process of bringing them in for on campus visits
            UConn has had an interim coach in place since January 7th. If we start the clock at the end of their season, they have been open for 34 days and counting

Comment

Don't know anything about the kid, but USHR just tweeted

6'3" Berwick junior F James Winkler committed to Northeastern last night. The '96 from York, Maine will play a year or two of juniors first.

Comment

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...montgomery.php

Q&A with Montgomery. Sheds some light on how things went down... at least from his side

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                  http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...montgomery.php

Q&A with Montgomery. Sheds some light on how things went down... at least from his side
                  Great article!

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
                    Great article!

It certainly makes me wish we had landed monty. I loved everything he said.

Comment

You folks really need to start factoring in that Steve Abbott is not a dope. He is an attorney and a Harvard graduate and a very solid ex athlete, captain of Harvard football and did very well in high school. Dad was well regarded in the arena also. Also Susan Collins Chief of Staff.
                      We are not talking Blake James here....
                      He knew Montgomery was available and had discussions with key maine alum/supporters. If they had wanted him, they would have went after him. If you think he was sitting in his office playing on line keno and let their desired coach slip away because they weresleeping, you are clueless. They didnt want JM, period. It is obvious they see no need in saying that and if you are a professional, would see no need to stir things up.

It will work out in the end for everyone. JM will do very well at DU and in the end it will be better for him. He will have a wagon there in 2-3 years and I will be surprised if he isnt in the Frozen Four in a couple years, results he could not achieve at Maine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                        You folks really need to start factoring in that Steve Abbott is not a dope. He is an attorney and a Harvard graduate and a very solid ex athlete, captain of Harvard football and did very well in high school. Dad was well regarded in the arena also. Also Susan Collins Chief of Staff.
                        We are not talking Blake James here....
                        He knew Montgomery was available and had discussions with key maine alum/supporters. If they had wanted him, they would have went after him. If you think he was sitting in his office playing on line keno and let their desired coach slip away because they weresleeping, you are clueless. They didnt want JM, period. It is obvious they see no need in saying that and if you are a professional, would see no need to stir things up.

It will work out in the end for everyone. JM will do very well at DU and in the end it will be better for him. He will have a wagon there in 2-3 years and I will be surprised if he isnt in the Frozen Four in a couple years, results he could not achieve at Maine.
                        Agree on Abbott, much better than what came before him. There were rumors over the winter that Jimmy wouldn't be Maine's next coach so what you are saying could certainly be true.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

In other news, Mike McMahon reports a Fenway Park source says Boston has approved the Frozen Fenway requests.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            In other news, Mike McMahon reports a Fenway Park source says Boston has approved the Frozen Fenway requests.
                            So this means Maine will actually have one decent OOC game? Hopefully the new coach sorts out the schedule for future years, next year's looks pretty pathetic.

Comment

As pathetic as Maine's OOC schedule appears on paper, it could work out for the team's benefit. Corkum or whoever is named coach will have more fire and have the team better prepared to take advantage of opponent's like Mercyhurst that the team could stockpile some wins out of conference. Maine's defense will be a disaster outside of Hutton and two freshman, but the goaltending and first few forward lines could be decent. Should be better than UMass, Northeastern and UVM and on par with Merrimack.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                                As pathetic as Maine's OOC schedule appears on paper, it could work out for the team's benefit. Corkum or whoever is named coach will have more fire and have the team better prepared to take advantage of opponent's like Mercyhurst that the team could stockpile some wins out of conference. Maine's defense will be a disaster outside of Hutton and two freshman, but the goaltending and first few forward lines could be decent. Should be better than UMass, Northeastern and UVM and on par with Merrimack.
                                That's a good point on next year's schedule. Completely disagree with you on defense. Did you not see Rutt play? Riley will get better and I think one of Williams and O'connor will step up.

Comment

Working...
                                X