Heenan Finalist for UAA job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heenan Finalist for UAA job

Heenan talked himself out of that dubious opportunity a while ago. (That's become a trend.)

He's better-off continuing to win at Utica and waiting for another opening, anyway, IMO.

The UAA situation is a complete mess, and there's no talent on that squad to build-around. He'd likely fare better building a program from the ground up than he would trying to salvage anything in Anchorage. There's just nothing much to work with there right now.

Just MO.

Comment

He'd be a perfect fit for UAH.

Comment

Originally posted by davinchi View Post
        He'd be a perfect fit for UAH.
        They play a lot of home games?
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          They play a lot of home games?
          Well god knows he wouldn't want to play a lot of away games
          Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
          Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
          Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
          2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
          2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Comment

All the snide/lame BS aside, Heenan built a program that made teams want to come to him, and while playing all his requisite road-games against the best D-3 conference in the land.

All this harping on UC's recent schedules just illustrates certain posters' ignorance of how things work when you have a successful program in place, in any sport, and at any level... (How many OOC road-games has Alabama football played recently, for example?)

Heenan is plenty savvy- and Machiavellian-enough to win in D-1, IMO. He just needs to pick his spot wisely, and perhaps employ just a little more decorum.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 06-08-2013, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              All the snide/lame BS aside, Heenan built a program that made teams want to come to him, and while playing all his requisite road-games against the best D-3 conference in the land.

All this harping on UC's recent schedules just illustrates certain posters' ignorance of how things work when you have a successful program in place, in any sport, and at any level... (How many OOC road-games has Alabama football played recently, for example?)

Heenan is plenty savvy- and Machiavellian-enough to win in D-1, IMO. He just needs to pick his spot wisely, and perhaps employ just a little more decorum.
              Comparing Utica hockey's schedule to Alabama football's schedule is comparing apples to oranges. Comparing Utica hockey's schedule to Platty's, Oswego's, Norwich's, St. Norbert, etc is much more of a reasonable comparison.
              Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
              2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

I need your address so I can send you a check to buy a clue....

A. Here we go chest thumping the ECAC West to the almighty (who schedule more games against cellar dweller teams then just about anybody)

B. Utica has made the NCAA's how many times remind me again? Call back when you've reached a quarter of what a Plattsburgh, Norwich, SNC, and Oswego have done.

C. Speaking of which, all said schools above have been "okay" over the past few decades compared to Utica, yet over the past 6 years they've only played 58% of their NC games at home so your "Alabama" theory is junk, go figure. 2 of those schools play a mandatory 4 home tournament games every 3 years or else the numbers would probably be even less....

D. SNC played in the toughest conference for years, yet they've played only 46% of thier NC games at home in the past 6 years. Whoops theres another Fishman theory out the window....

E. Should we get into just WHO Utica gets to come to the Aud? Curry 5 out of 6 years, Salve, Western NE, Franklin Pierce, Westfield, JnW, Nicols. That just screams talent there..... tough road games against....Oswego...yup thats about it. Let me guess top teams are afraid of Utica right? That's why you don't see them coming to the Aud?
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Heenan could build that program by increasing its ties to the community (which is strong with alums in the community but small in number) and attendance. Within three years, I bet he would have that place packed. The argument about them playing so many home games against weak competition is true but also helps the DIII game overall. The weaker teams have gotten stronger and will continue to do so with more games against top teams. Who knows if Heenan's motive is as altruistic as that but you can't deny the effect it has on the game as a whole. He is ready for DI hockey and that program could really use him. Plus, I think his press conferences would be great entertainment. He is so full of himself it is just plain hilarious, I doubt anyone gets as much one on one time with him as his own mirror.

Comment

Heenan could build that program by increasing its ties to the community (which is strong with alums in the community but small in number) and attendance. Within three years, I bet he would have that place packed. The argument about them playing so many home games against weak competition is true but also helps the DIII game overall. The weaker teams have gotten stronger and will continue to do so with more games against top teams. Who knows if Heenan's motive is as altruistic as that but you can't deny the effect it has on the game as a whole. He is ready for DI hockey and that program could really use him. Plus, I think his press conferences would be great entertainment. He is so full of himself it is just plain hilarious, I doubt anyone gets as much one on one time with him as his own mirror.
                    Altruistic? Excuse me I might die laughing before i finish this post. If you think the weaker teams that Fishman has pointed out that have come to the aud over have gotten better then I got this beautiful bridge in nyc to sell you. Heenan has had nothing to do with D3 teams getting better...I wouldn't even touch that one. But i do agree with you on his press conferences. He could be torts' replacement for us to watch until he gets hired again!

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                      I need your address so I can send you a check to buy a clue....

A. Here we go chest thumping the ECAC West to the almighty (who schedule more games against cellar dweller teams then just about anybody)

B. Utica has made the NCAA's how many times remind me again? Call back when you've reached a quarter of what a Plattsburgh, Norwich, SNC, and Oswego have done.

C. Speaking of which, all said schools above have been "okay" over the past few decades compared to Utica, yet over the past 6 years they've only played 58% of their NC games at home so your "Alabama" theory is junk, go figure. 2 of those schools play a mandatory 4 home tournament games every 3 years or else the numbers would probably be even less....

D. SNC played in the toughest conference for years, yet they've played only 46% of thier NC games at home in the past 6 years. Whoops theres another Fishman theory out the window....

E. Should we get into just WHO Utica gets to come to the Aud? Curry 5 out of 6 years, Salve, Western NE, Franklin Pierce, Westfield, JnW, Nicols. That just screams talent there..... tough road games against....Oswego...yup thats about it. Let me guess top teams are afraid of Utica right? That's why you don't see them coming to the Aud?
                      Your post is just too endlessly clueless for me to bother to answer point-by-point, but send me the check anyway.

All you need to consider is that Utica's 2012/13 SOS was rated higher than any of the teams to which you refer via KRACH, D-3 hockey (NU Prof), and by the NCAA itself. IIRC, Utica was #1 in SOS in terms of each of those metrics.

So, there you go, home-games against cupcakes or not. (Hell, at least half of D-3 is composed of cupcakes; who do you want Utica to schedule, the Black Hawks?)

The ECAC-West gauntlet is what makes the difference, whether you want to accept that or not...

That's a fact, Einstein.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 06-09-2013, 02:17 AM.

Comment

I can assure you that Heenan is not particularly altruistic.

Having said that, I agree 100% with the rest of your post... He's a D-1 guy in-waiting who would run over his grandmother to win a hockey game.

I can't wait to see what he builds at whichever program hires him, and I do believe that he'll get his shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                          Comparing Utica hockey's schedule to Alabama football's schedule is comparing apples to oranges. Comparing Utica hockey's schedule to Platty's, Oswego's, Norwich's, St. Norbert, etc is much more of a reasonable comparison.
                          All those teams have scheduled tough OOC games on the road..?

I haven't noticed that, which was my point.

Comment

All those teams have scheduled tough OOC games on the road..?

I haven't noticed that, which was my point.
                            Let me help you notice. Here are the OOC Away games for these teams for the last 5 years. This does not include neutral site games.

Platty
                            12-13: Skidmore, Castleton
                            11-12: Norwich, Middlebury x2, Williams
                            10-11: Skidmore
                            09-10: Norwich x2, Elmira, Williams, Middlebury
                            08-09: Skidmore

Oswego
                            12-13: Hobart, Elmira, Utica
                            11-12: Elmira, Utica, Hamilton
                            10-11: Elmira, Utica, Hobart
                            09-10: Elmira, Utica, Hamilton
                            08-09: Norwich, St. Norbert, Hobart

Norwich
                            12-13: Plattsburgh, Middlebury
                            11-12: None
                            10-11: Plattsburgh x2,
                            09-10: None
                            08-09: Middlebury, Plattsburgh

St. Norbert
                            12-13: Augsburg, Gustavus Adolphus
                            11-12: Marian, St. Olaf, St. Mary's,
                            10-11: Hamline, Bethel, Lake Forest,
                            09-10: Concordia (MI), St. John's
                            08-09: Lawrence, Gustavus Adolphus, St. Olaf, MSOE, St. Thomas, St. Mary's

Utica
                            12-13: Oswego, Cortland, Western New England
                            11-12: Oswego
                            10-11: Buffalo State, Oswego, Suffolk, Wentworth
                            09-10: Oswego, Hamilton
                            08-09: UMASS-Dartmouth
                            Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                            2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                              Let me help you notice. Here are the OOC Away games for these teams for the last 5 years. This does not include neutral site games.

Platty
                              12-13: Skidmore, Castleton
                              11-12: Norwich, Middlebury x2, Williams
                              10-11: Skidmore
                              09-10: Norwich x2, Elmira, Williams, Middlebury
                              08-09: Skidmore

Oswego
                              12-13: Hobart, Elmira, Utica
                              11-12: Elmira, Utica, Hamilton
                              10-11: Elmira, Utica, Hobart
                              09-10: Elmira, Utica, Hamilton
                              08-09: Norwich, St. Norbert, Hobart

Norwich
                              12-13: Plattsburgh, Middlebury
                              11-12: None
                              10-11: Plattsburgh x2,
                              09-10: None
                              08-09: Middlebury, Plattsburgh

St. Norbert
                              12-13: Augsburg, Gustavus Adolphus
                              11-12: Marian, St. Olaf, St. Mary's,
                              10-11: Hamline, Bethel, Lake Forest,
                              09-10: Concordia (MI), St. John's
                              08-09: Lawrence, Gustavus Adolphus, St. Olaf, MSOE, St. Thomas, St. Mary's

Utica
                              12-13: Oswego, Cortland, Western New England
                              11-12: Oswego
                              10-11: Buffalo State, Oswego, Suffolk, Wentworth
                              09-10: Oswego, Hamilton
                              08-09: UMASS-Dartmouth
                              Looking at this... Looks like Norwich may be the REAL "Don't play on the road often" culprit.
                              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                                Looking at this... Looks like Norwich may be the REAL "Don't play on the road often" culprit.
                                The more so issue with Norwich was the cycle of the Primelink plus their tournament and it was their turn to host Plattsburgh. Either or they still only had 65ish% of NC home games over 6 years compared to 75%+
                                Remy Babineaux
                                remyb616@gmail.com
                                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Working...
                                X