Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OHIO STATE. Who will be the new 2013/14 Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OHIO STATE. Who will be the new 2013/14 Head Coach?

I really thought Gwoz was going to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dump it In View Post
      Its offical

Steve Rohlik has been named the 9th coach in the history of Ohio State Hockey. Steve is a great guy who has worked extremely hard and is deserving of this GREAT opportunirty.
      The players supported his appointment so lets go with it and get ready fopr a great 2013-2014 season, the first in the BIG TEN!
      In regard to your last sentence, I will go with it and will expect a great season. If Rohlik is as good as everyone says, and provided all the current players and recruits stay, there's no reason why he should not win immediately. If we're just promoting an assistant and not bringing in someone new, there's no excuse for a rebuilding period.

Comment

I wish Steve all the best but I honestly believe we didn't get a big name coach as OSU poisoned the well.
        If he does start off winning I would ask can he sustain it? A number of coaches in a number of sports have come in to their new schools and started off on fire but then after several seasons start to putter out after what and who the previous coach had in place moved on and the new guy is left solely with his own resources.
        I don't care who it is, veteran or newbie coach as long as they can get past the shadow the athletic department casts on this program and gets it functional!

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
          I really thought Gwoz was going to show up.
          I assume Gwoz was expecting them to show up.
          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Buck View Post
            I may be wrong about this, but my sense is this was the plan all along. This appears to be something very Oz specific that didnt spread to the program as a whole (there were not systemic issues, ncaa issues, etc). It appears Oz and Oz only did something they either didnt like, couldnt agree on, couldnt reconcile in some way. They generally liked what was going on with the program, but whatever happened made it impossible for him specifically to carry on as head coach. The natural progression in that case is the promote the #2 guy and continue on with the plan. That is what I am left with based on my reading of the timeline of things, the "fact" they apparently didnt interview anyone else, the expectation that they would have an annoucment just after the posting expired and legal requirements like that were checked off when posting a state job...

They may be making a mistake, I dont know, but my sense is they may have kicked the tires on a few high profile guys, but what you see happening was the plan all along - because they really believe this is the best way to proceed.

I agree with this assessment. Wish Rohlik the best of luck and can't wait to see this team on the ice!

Comment

Originally posted by Dump it In View Post
              Its offical

Steve Rohlik has been named the 9th coach in the history of Ohio State Hockey. Steve is a great guy who has worked extremely hard and is deserving of this GREAT opportunirty.
              The players supported his appointment so lets go with it and get ready fopr a great 2013-2014 season, the first in the BIG TEN!
              Keep grooming him for his eventual return to UW.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Nice picture of Rohlik on the home page of uscho.com. "Coach Rohlik - He makes young girls cry!"

Comment

OSU Presser: http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/all.../?media=386833

Comment

So let me see if I understand this...Ohio State hired the top assistant to the guy the just fired for being unsuccessful...Ok. Makes little sense but ok...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                      So let me see if I understand this...Ohio State hired the top assistant to the guy the just fired for being unsuccessful...Ok. Makes little sense but ok...
                      Nothing out of Ohio State said he was fired for being unsuccessful.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                        Osiecki was not fired for being unsuccessful. He was fired because of a difference of opinion over how the program was managed, or some similarly ambiguous reason. I say that because no one knows what that difference was that could not somehow be reconciled. I understand your point, though, that our athletic department grossly mismanages our hockey program, and with that, I agree 100%. I hope for the athletic department's sake (namely Gene Smith and Chris Schneider) and for our hockey program's sake, that this does not blow up in their faces.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Keep grooming him for his eventual return to UW.
                          Oz is available now if you want him back. I know some Wisconsin fans were sorry to see him leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            And as usual when Gene Smith screws up there will be no negative consequences for him and they'll probably give the bas*ard another raise!
                            Throw another 50 or 60 to that worthless wife of his that he piggybacked onto the Ohio State payroll with all the tact and finesse of a Chicago alderman.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Cooper View Post
                              Throw another 50 or 60 to that worthless wife of his that he piggybacked onto the Ohio State payroll with all the tact and finesse of a Chicago alderman.
                              Yeah, the university president at the time said " We were looking to create that position anyway, it's just fortunate coincidence that Mrs. Smith can fill it." Yeah, she was stupid to believe they were worth all that money and stupid to think that she could BS us into believing her that it wasn't nepotism!

Comment

I was going to post a link to the press conference by GreyGhost beat me to it. I watched it. Not much substance, really, just a cliche-fest by Rohlik. The only thing I heard that made me crack a smile was when he channeled Urban Meyer and said something about making everyone proud of the hockey program. I liked that statement because it means winning, and winning big. I don't recall ever hearing anyone say how proud they were of a team after a middle-of-the-pack .500 season, so I interpreted that as Rohlik plans to put a championship-caliber team on the ice. That was good news to me. The media mostly lobbed softballs at Rohlik. I didn't hear any questions about where he sees the program in a few seasons or when will we see the program competing for titles. Of course, OSU probably lets the media know what they can ask and what is off limits if they want to stay in OSU's good graces. We'll see where things are next April. I'm hoping for the best and I will be at the games, but I'll expect wins. A .500 season won't do it for me next season as we just fired a .500 coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X