X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potntial Destinations for D1 Hockey Teams

Nebraska tops the list:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/potenti...0420--nhl.html

If your a Nebraska fan email the Athletic Department and tell them you want ice hockey. UNL just added 6 womens rides with beach volleyball hockey and if they now drop men's cross country they will comply with title IX. Hockey will bring in 100x plus the revenue mens cross country ever will and could support itself.

Re: Potntial Destinations for D1 Hockey Teams

Originally posted by Hockey Monk View Post
    Nebraska tops the list:

If your a Nebraska fan email the Athletic Department and tell them you want ice hockey. UNL just added 6 womens rides with beach volleyball hockey and if they now drop men's cross country they will comply with title IX. Hockey will bring in 100x plus the revenue mens cross country ever will and could support itself.
    One the other hand, those who run XC may not particularly like that
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey Monk View Post
      Nebraska tops the list:

Yeah. I'm not for one sport being dropped to add another.

And cross country? I can't imagine there is a sport that would cost less than that.

Comment

As much as I want college hockey to expand, I cannot see how it can without a major donor. A cursory search showed 2011 Ohio State's Athletic Department budget and I easily found the 2010 Air Force Academy's expenditures. Maybe with some digging, I could really find a good roadmap to expand D1 hockey, but personally I'd like to firm up the viability of the teams we have rather than expand.

Comment

Money is not the biggest obstacle. Title IX compliance is. Without getting down in the legal weeds, if you start a D1 men's hockey program, you'll need to offset that by either starting a D1 women's hockey team (or some other women's team(s)) and/or cut whatever number of slots from other men's sports needs to be cut in order to balance everything out. As for revenue generation, I agree that a well-run men's program at a big school like Nebraska could possibly stand on its own eventually, but if you also start a women's hockey program, then whatever profits are made by the men's program will get drained by the women's program.

It may or may not be right but it's what the athletic landscape looks like in the 21st century.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

And gosh help they lower the footprint on the football team...

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              Money is not the biggest obstacle. Title IX compliance is. Without getting down in the legal weeds, if you start a D1 men's hockey program, you'll need to offset that by either starting a D1 women's hockey team (or some other women's team(s)) and/or cut whatever number of slots from other men's sports needs to be cut in order to balance everything out. As for revenue generation, I agree that a well-run men's program at a big school like Nebraska could possibly stand on its own eventually, but if you also start a women's hockey program, then whatever profits are made by the men's program will get drained by the women's program.

It may or may not be right but it's what the athletic landscape looks like in the 21st century.
              unless you're living in Happy Valley (lit. or fig.), money is still the biggest obstacle. Title IX makes things more complicated, sure...but without getting cash from the sky first, you'll never have to worry about pesky Title IX details.
              and these days, there is pretty much only one way to fund a new hockey program: the "sugar daddy" model. find yourself a fat donor, and all is possible. no Pegula-like deep pockets, it's all talk.
              Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Please refrain from referencing Penn State and "sugar daddy" for the foreseeable....ever.

:shudder:

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                  unless you're living in Happy Valley (lit. or fig.), money is still the biggest obstacle. Title IX makes things more complicated, sure...but without getting cash from the sky first, you'll never have to worry about pesky Title IX details.
                  and these days, there is pretty much only one way to fund a new hockey program: the "sugar daddy" model. find yourself a fat donor, and all is possible. no Pegula-like deep pockets, it's all talk.
                  seriously, building a modern rink and arena is not a small thing
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Title IX is not an obstacle - if you have enough money to start a women's team. Title IX just means it takes more money. It still, always, and forevermore comes down to money, period. Find a donor, the team will follow.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I'm big on wacky hypothetical scenarios that might bring more teams to college hockey, but how much Clorox did that guy drink before punching out that article?
                      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                      66 - 86 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                        I'm big on wacky hypothetical scenarios that might bring more teams to college hockey, but how much Clorox did that guy drink before punching out that article?
                        About 600 people on this board could have written something better and more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                          I'm thinking, given USC and Texas were involved, Bettman might have thrown in a couple bucks.

Comment

SUNY Buffalo has been mentioned as having a potential interest in D1 hockey. Hockey is popular in Buffalo, but it's unclear what kind of community support they would enjoy. I don't think they currently have the facilities for a D1 program, so that would be a major obstacle.
                            #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                              SUNY Buffalo has been mentioned as having a potential interest in D1 hockey. Hockey is popular in Buffalo, but it's unclear what kind of community support they would enjoy. I don't think they currently have the facilities for a D1 program, so that would be a major obstacle.
                              Borrow from Buffalo State!

Comment

Working...
                              X