PDA

View Full Version : Potntial Destinations for D1 Hockey Teams

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Hockey Monk
04-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Nebraska tops the list:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/potential-destinations-ncaa-division-hockey-171000420--nhl.html

If your a Nebraska fan email the Athletic Department and tell them you want ice hockey. UNL just added 6 womens rides with beach volleyball hockey and if they now drop men's cross country they will comply with title IX. Hockey will bring in 100x plus the revenue mens cross country ever will and could support itself.

Patman
04-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Nebraska tops the list:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/potential-destinations-ncaa-division-hockey-171000420--nhl.html

If your a Nebraska fan email the Athletic Department and tell them you want ice hockey. UNL just added 6 womens rides with beach volleyball hockey and if they now drop men's cross country they will comply with title IX. Hockey will bring in 100x plus the revenue mens cross country ever will and could support itself.

One the other hand, those who run XC may not particularly like that :rolleyes:

ericredaxe
04-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Nebraska tops the list:

Yeah. I'm not for one sport being dropped to add another.

And cross country? I can't imagine there is a sport that would cost less than that.

COHockey
04-22-2013, 10:30 AM
As much as I want college hockey to expand, I cannot see how it can without a major donor. A cursory search showed 2011 Ohio State's Athletic Department budget (http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/06/01/how-profitable-is-ohio-state-university-athletics-department/) and I easily found the 2010 Air Force Academy's expenditures (http://www.gazette.com/articles/air-99861-force-spends.html). Maybe with some digging, I could really find a good roadmap to expand D1 hockey, but personally I'd like to firm up the viability of the teams we have rather than expand.

Split-N
04-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Money is not the biggest obstacle. Title IX compliance is. Without getting down in the legal weeds, if you start a D1 men's hockey program, you'll need to offset that by either starting a D1 women's hockey team (or some other women's team(s)) and/or cut whatever number of slots from other men's sports needs to be cut in order to balance everything out. As for revenue generation, I agree that a well-run men's program at a big school like Nebraska could possibly stand on its own eventually, but if you also start a women's hockey program, then whatever profits are made by the men's program will get drained by the women's program.

It may or may not be right but it's what the athletic landscape looks like in the 21st century.

FlagDUDE08
04-22-2013, 05:48 PM
And gosh help they lower the footprint on the football team... :eek:

blackswampboy
04-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Money is not the biggest obstacle. Title IX compliance is. Without getting down in the legal weeds, if you start a D1 men's hockey program, you'll need to offset that by either starting a D1 women's hockey team (or some other women's team(s)) and/or cut whatever number of slots from other men's sports needs to be cut in order to balance everything out. As for revenue generation, I agree that a well-run men's program at a big school like Nebraska could possibly stand on its own eventually, but if you also start a women's hockey program, then whatever profits are made by the men's program will get drained by the women's program.

It may or may not be right but it's what the athletic landscape looks like in the 21st century.

unless you're living in Happy Valley (lit. or fig.), money is still the biggest obstacle. Title IX makes things more complicated, sure...but without getting cash from the sky first, you'll never have to worry about pesky Title IX details.
and these days, there is pretty much only one way to fund a new hockey program: the "sugar daddy" model. find yourself a fat donor, and all is possible. no Pegula-like deep pockets, it's all talk.

BUPhD
04-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Please refrain from referencing Penn State and "sugar daddy" for the foreseeable....ever.

:shudder:

Patman
04-22-2013, 11:16 PM
unless you're living in Happy Valley (lit. or fig.), money is still the biggest obstacle. Title IX makes things more complicated, sure...but without getting cash from the sky first, you'll never have to worry about pesky Title IX details.
and these days, there is pretty much only one way to fund a new hockey program: the "sugar daddy" model. find yourself a fat donor, and all is possible. no Pegula-like deep pockets, it's all talk.

seriously, building a modern rink and arena is not a small thing

LynahFan
04-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Title IX is not an obstacle - if you have enough money to start a women's team. Title IX just means it takes more money. It still, always, and forevermore comes down to money, period. Find a donor, the team will follow.

aallenpollreisz
04-23-2013, 12:51 AM
I'm big on wacky hypothetical scenarios that might bring more teams to college hockey, but how much Clorox did that guy drink before punching out that article?

uaafanblog
04-23-2013, 02:40 AM
I'm big on wacky hypothetical scenarios that might bring more teams to college hockey, but how much Clorox did that guy drink before punching out that article?

About 600 people on this board could have written something better and more likely.

FlagDUDE08
04-23-2013, 09:07 AM

I'm thinking, given USC and Texas were involved, Bettman might have thrown in a couple bucks. :eek:

KnightsOfTheRound
04-23-2013, 10:03 AM
SUNY Buffalo has been mentioned as having a potential interest in D1 hockey. Hockey is popular in Buffalo, but it's unclear what kind of community support they would enjoy. I don't think they currently have the facilities for a D1 program, so that would be a major obstacle.

FlagDUDE08
04-23-2013, 10:05 AM
SUNY Buffalo has been mentioned as having a potential interest in D1 hockey. Hockey is popular in Buffalo, but it's unclear what kind of community support they would enjoy. I don't think they currently have the facilities for a D1 program, so that would be a major obstacle.

Borrow from Buffalo State! :D

KnightsOfTheRound
04-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Borrow from Buffalo State! :D

Buff State's rink is fine for D3 but it's not up to snuff for a D1 program. And yes, I'm aware a D1 program plays there currently.

Patman
04-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Similar comment... This kinda shows how far hockey news has come in prestige... Does anybody, except rarely, ever link to them?

Iwearpurple
04-23-2013, 10:19 AM

USC - "Would this be the easiest recruiting job ever for a college coach?" How did that work out at U.S. International in the 80s and 90s? U.S. Int was north of San Diego, a much better location than downtown Los Angeles, and it failed.

University of Texas - This is sillier yet.

Flashy Man
04-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Fordham University in the Bronx elevates its ability to start a D1 program with the construction of this facility nearby.

https://www.facebook.com/KNICNYC

davyd83
04-23-2013, 10:33 AM
USC - "Would this be the easiest recruiting job ever for a college coach?" How did that work out at U.S. International in the 80s and 90s? U.S. Int was north of San Diego, a much better location than downtown Los Angeles, and it failed.

University of Texas - This is sillier yet.
Actually it's not as silly as you might think. There's a pretty solid hockey community in Austin. The Ice Bats drew well in a dump of a rink and the Stars put in better than 5,000 per night. Now dress that up in Texas colors and you just might have some serious success. There are several Big 12/ SEC Markets that have had success in minor pro and junior hockey.

Now, it's not likely to happen, but if there were teams at Texas Tech, Iowa State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Alabama, Auburn and LSU, those areas have all shown a love for the game. They would have a good chance to succeed.