Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How about Hobey Baker bias, will ECAC ,Hockey East ever win

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    I'm still waiting for someone to give me any reason to think that the WCHA is better than the ECAC or Hockey East in 2012-2013. No one is talking about all-time titles, Hobeys, etc.

The WCHA is still a great conference, but this year, at least, it would seem to be inferior based on results.

the original post was about winning the hobey over time. it did not say this year. you are the one stuck on this year.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      the original post was about winning the hobey over time. it did not say this year. you are the one stuck on this year.
      I initially responded to a post that dismissed eastern hockey and proclaimed that the WCHA was "the best league in college hockey." Currently, it is not. And there is not a shred of evidence that supports the contrary.

Also, how can you be "stuck" on something that ended last night?

Comment

I'm not sure how this relates to the quality of play on the ice exactly, but fans of western teams are more intelligent, better looking, more sophisticated, and possess a more refined sense of humor than eastern fans. More important, they are more humble.

So even if the teams in the west are shatty and there is no legitimate hobey candidate to be found, it's still better being here.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          I'm not sure how this relates to the quality of play on the ice exactly, but fans of western teams are more intelligent, better looking, more sophisticated, and possess a more refined sense of humor than eastern fans. More important, they are more humble.

So even if the teams in the west are shatty and there is no legitimate hobey candidate to be found, it's still better being here.
          FINALLY, someone uses facts to prove a point!

Comment

I'm going to ask a serious question -- one I've wondered about for a long time.

Why does anyone give a rat's a-s who wins the Hobey?

There are dozens of outstanding players at this level, and any difference in excellence among those at the very top is both marginal and a matter of subjective judgment.

Unless you are a future pro's agent trolling for a higher draft pick, why would you even care?

This is a team sport. I thought LeBlanc looked very odd grinning ecstatically to the press the day after he and his teammates failed to accomplish the only thing they'd dedicated themselves to doing. He didn't look all that crestfallen to me.

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
              This is a team sport. I thought LeBlanc looked very odd grinning ecstatically to the press the day after he and his teammates failed to accomplish the only thing they'd dedicated themselves to doing. He didn't look all that crestfallen to me.
              Maybe because he realized the game was over and he can't change the past. He also probably realized he should be happy that he won the highest individual honor in college hockey, and not mope to impress doorknobs like you by being "crestfallen".
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Couldn't agree more . . . Bill Watson had a great college career at UMD. Bobby Hull went to one of Bill and Brett's UMD games and said he was glad Brett was getting a degree as he would need it. Brett's NHL career turned out OK without the Hobey . . . Bill was a complete dud in the NHL notwithstanding the Hobey and the list goes on.

Originally posted by snively View Post
                I'm going to ask a serious question -- one I've wondered about for a long time.

Why does anyone give a rat's a-s who wins the Hobey?

There are dozens of outstanding players at this level, and any difference in excellence among those at the very top is both marginal and a matter of subjective judgment.

Unless you are a future pro's agent trolling for a higher draft pick, why would you even care?

Last edited by ROMD; 04-14-2013, 11:58 AM.

Comment

This year the Hobey was unlike any other because johnny's chances were shot after a early and convincing exit from the tournament, Hartzell is a goalie, and LeBlanc didnt have much in the way of goals. When I first heard LeBlanc was a student teacher i thought he was the frontrunner but I think because its a requirement for his degree that shouldnt be valued too high. Look in my eyes Hartzell was the most valuable to his team over these guys. Quinnipiac had little offense all season and made the national championship, shows how great there goalie was. Its a shame especially when LeBlanc dissapeared on Thursday night and Hartzell was a wall even though the voting had already taken place. Id also be interested to hear what the awards board members or what ever they are said to Hartzell immediately after the ceremony because they shook his hand and said somethig to him before they shook LeBlanc's
                  Quinnipiac University '15
                  ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
                  ECAC Championship: 2016
                  NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
                  NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
                  Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                    I initially responded to a post that dismissed eastern hockey and proclaimed that the WCHA was "the best league in college hockey." Currently, it is not. And there is not a shred of evidence that supports the contrary.

Also, how can you be "stuck" on something that ended last night?
                    Actually, the wcha won the hobey, something the east seems to not have enough quality players to win very often. Ala, the best player also plays in the best conference.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Actually, the wcha won the hobey, something the east seems to not have enough quality players to win very often. Ala, the best player also plays in the best conference.
                      One player makes a conference? Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
                        This year the Hobey was unlike any other because johnny's chances were shot after a early and convincing exit from the tournament, Hartzell is a goalie, and LeBlanc didnt have much in the way of goals. When I first heard LeBlanc was a student teacher i thought he was the frontrunner but I think because its a requirement for his degree that shouldnt be valued too high. Look in my eyes Hartzell was the most valuable to his team over these guys. Quinnipiac had little offense all season and made the national championship, shows how great there goalie was. Its a shame especially when LeBlanc dissapeared on Thursday night and Hartzell was a wall even though the voting had already taken place. Id also be interested to hear what the awards board members or what ever they are said to Hartzell immediately after the ceremony because they shook his hand and said somethig to him before they shook LeBlanc's
                        It's not an MVP nor playoffs award, and everything else in your post is incomprehensible.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          It's not an MVP nor playoffs award, and everything else in your post is incomprehensible.
                          You forgot to sign your comment as LeBlanc's dad
                          Quinnipiac University '15
                          ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
                          ECAC Championship: 2016
                          NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
                          NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
                          Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Happy, I've seen some amazing hockey living here in MN, so I'm not taking anything away from the quality out here. But if the Hobey had been founded in Boston by the Beantown Athletic Boosters, we're talking a whooooole different list of winners.
                            Bugs Bunny - 96
                            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Almost forgot! They'd have modeled the trophy after Mike Eruzione. Sure, it's called the "Hobey Baker" award -- but make the statue look like your local guy!
                              Bugs Bunny - 96
                              Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                                Maybe because he realized the game was over and he can't change the past. He also probably realized he should be happy that he won the highest individual honor in college hockey, and not mope to impress doorknobs like you by being "crestfallen".
                                Fair enough. Trust me, I wasn't looking for him to impress me -- it just to be him this particular time..

I just think it's odd that so much media is devoted to this award during the only week in which an individual award DOESN'T matter. It's that juxtaposition I find odd. Why not award it a week or so later and keep the focus where it really belongs?

Comment

Working...
                                X