Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For ECAC fans only

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Given that in other sports the Ivies have some pretty fierce rivalries, I'd expect it more to be the opposite (who can ever forget "Harvard beats Yale 29 - 29 !" even non-Ivy outlets played that one up! I was just a kid when that happened and still remember it making all the news stories at the time. ESPN rated it # 9 in all-time college football games). Harvard folks have a scurrilous song about Yale students, section men, etc. for example that shows how much they dislike each other.
    I believe the overwhelming majority o Harvard people will be Yale fans tomorrow evening, just as everyone cheered Harvard in the basketball tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
      Why would HE have any interest in the 6 non-Ivies of the ECAC? I don't see that happening. Nor do I see the Ivies splitting off, regardless of what happens tomorrow.
      It's only a quasi-serious comment. One good reason would be that Notre Dame is a dumb fit for HE and I just don't see the marriage lasting. He77.. BC will probably want to form a 2 team league with them and expect 2 autobids.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
        It's only a quasi-serious comment. One good reason would be that Notre Dame is a dumb fit for HE and I just don't see the marriage lasting. He77.. BC will probably want to form a 2 team league with them and expect 2 autobids.
        Maybe they can join with Providence and Merrimack and form the sort-of-Catholic 4.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish
          I thought about pointing out that Harvard grads who became POTUS included T Roosevelt, FDR, and JFK, while Yale grads who became POTUS include GHWB, GWB, and WJC, but then I decided not to....BHO is a Columbia grad and they don't even have a hockey team.
          William Howard Taft was a Yale grad.
          Now, go imagine him on ice skates.
          It's not pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
            Kind of like the way Minne would like to start a one team league, and expect two autobids?
            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

I hope Yale wins, primarily because they have always been in our conference, and I also like pulling for the underdog. But I'm happy either way!
              Big Red Fans: The best in all of College Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                You know...at first I was going to comment and say how dumb a split would be...but I kind of like it! If Penn added a team (extremely doubtful), we could have a nice little 7-team conference with four games against each opponent in league play. Most of our non conference opponents could be former ECAC teams, meaning we can stop scheduling AHA opponents. Speaking from Brown's perspective, at least, attendance is generally higher for Ivy opponents than for the other ECAC teams.

I love our league as it is, but I wouldn't be entirely opposed to an Ivy League hockey conference...not that it would ever happen, of course.
                7 x 4 = 28. Which means one non conference game per school. That tournament in FLA would need another host school.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  7 x 4 = 28. Which means one non conference game per school. That tournament in FLA would need another host school.
                  7 teams means that you only play six others. 6 x 4 = 24, limiting the Ivies to five OOC games. Certainly not ideal.
                  Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Fine, 3 games each. That's 18, with 11 non-conference games. Or, Penn doesn't get a team, and 4 games against 5 opponents with 9 non-conference games.

Either way, I wasn't really serious! Let's get back to the point of this thread- the Yale-QU for the National Championsip .

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                      Totally conflicted. Other than the boys from across the river there are probably no two ECAC teams I would prefer less to see win it. I don't care for Allain or Pecknold at all but I like the way Yale plays and we did handle them with ease at AC. I think Qpac plays a nasty and at times dirty style but agree that their fans are a good bunch. I guess I will hold my nose and go with Yale, FWIW.

So far as the game is concerned I give the huge edge to Hartzell over Malcolm and that could be enough. First goal sets the tone so whoever gets it wins.
                      I'm with you.....but less conflicted. Allain is a bit more tolerable, although he always seems to have that sour puss face on 100% of the time. I think there is almost universal dislike for Pecknold.
                      I too like the way Ylae plays....fast, uptempo. And I agree the best part about Q Pac are it's loyal fans like Mark Eagle and Allnightwong. But I'm pulling for Ylae. I think my rationale is I'm jealous of Q Pac. Beautiful arena.....big marketing budget, they spend a ton of money on their program. They are the Gordon Gecko of the ECAC. To me it would feel like they bought a title as opposed to earning it. That and I think it would be an anathema to me as it came too soon and easy for them. That said I think they will be a force to be reckoned with for seasons to come.

I think for Yale everything is contingent on the start. Q is clearly in the Eli's psyche and if Yale can play like they did and have in the tournement..... they have a good shot. If they take the bait from Q...or get behind early, I think it will be all over early. I'm still not sold on Malcolm and he (to me) looked unsteady in parts of the game against UML. I think Q will win but I'm pulling for Ylae.
                      SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                        I'm with you.....but less conflicted. Allain is a bit more tolerable, although he always seems to have that sour puss face on 100% of the time. I think there is almost universal dislike for Pecknold.
                        I too like the way Ylae plays....fast, uptempo. And I agree the best part about Q Pac are it's loyal fans like Mark Eagle and Allnightwong. But I'm pulling for Ylae. I think my rationale is I'm jealous of Q Pac. Beautiful arena.....big marketing budget, they spend a ton of money on their program. They are the Gordon Gecko of the ECAC. To me it would feel like they bought a title as opposed to earning it. That and I think it would be an anathema to me as it came too soon and easy for them. That said I think they will be a force to be reckoned with for seasons to come.

I think for Yale everything is contingent on the start. Q is clearly in the Eli's psyche and if Yale can play like they did and have in the tournement..... they have a good shot. If they take the bait from Q...or get behind early, I think it will be all over early. I'm still not sold on Malcolm and he (to me) looked unsteady in parts of the game against UML. I think Q will win but I'm pulling for Ylae.
                        I agree.

I'm rooting for Yale much as it pains me to root Ivy. I've tried hard, but I still don't accept Q-Pac as a true ECAC team. They have no tradition. They behave like a Hockey East program in terms of spending and academic qualifications -- they don't fit the mold of the traditional older Ivy / Small upstate college that gives the ECAC its own special cachet. And Pecknold seems like a robot.

If Yale comes out flying, they win. If it turns into a grinder, Hartzell will take it. But it's all good. Much more fun than watching the umpteenth BC v Minnesota. North Dakota Michigan, Denver crew.
                        St. Lawrence University
                        World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

One more thing. I wish the Q-Pac press would stop trying to pretend that they have a "rivalry" with Yale. Yale's rivals are Harvard and Princeton, in that order. Q-Pac is so far down on their rivals list it's not even funny. (another reason I'm rooting Yale)
                          St. Lawrence University
                          World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                            They behave like a Hockey East program in terms of spending and academic qualifications -- they don't fit the mold of the traditional older Ivy / Small upstate college that gives the ECAC its own special cachet. And Pecknold seems like a robot.
                            You're kidding right? In terms of spending, that is a good thing. There are certain ECAC schools that can take some notes budget wise that when you commit to be D-1 in a sport, you go all in....it's all about resources for the student-athletes. Look at Quinnipiac's facilities, look at the academic programs which they offer. As far as academic qualifications, maybe I'm missing the boat, but what are you referring to here?

You know that Northeastern, Maine, BU, and Providence were all once apart of the ECAC???????? For the sake of a long post, there are others I am omitting. Quinnipiac is as much a part of the ECAC as Clarkson, SLU, and the other schools.

As far as tradition, once they win the NCAA Championship, they will have more tradition.....than Yale!!
                            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

I'm pulling for Yale, no questions asked. Pecknold is probably the biggest a-hole in hockey that I've had the displeasure of meeting and unfortunately that has soured me on anything related to Quinnipiac.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
                                I'm pulling for Yale, no questions asked. Pecknold is probably the biggest a-hole in hockey that I've had the displeasure of meeting and unfortunately that has soured me on anything related to Quinnipiac.
                                Believe me.....your sentiments are felt by many!
                                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Working...
                                X