UMass Lowell Offseason Thread '13: In Norm We Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMass Lowell Offseason Thread '13: In Norm We Trust

Well our last thread got locked at the right timing to start the offseasom thread. Loss yesterday was still tough but we did have a very good run. Now all we have to do is wait.

In other news, if anyone else was at the Tsongas, there any reason why Hockey East hasn't put our plaque on the Lamorello Trophy yet?
    I'd probably be a lot less stressed if I wasn't a hockey fan, but where's the fun in that?

Re: UMass Lowell Offseason Thread '13: In Norm We Trust

Originally posted by CleggyofUML View Post
    In other news, if anyone else was at the Tsongas, there any reason why Hockey East hasn't put our plaque on the Lamorello Trophy yet?
    There is no good reason why our plaque isn't on the trophy yet.

The only thing I could think of is that the plaques on the Lamorello Trophy are older then the ones on the regular season trophy. Seems to me that it would be more work to get those made up then just a normal trophy place like the regular season trophy has.
    UML 2007 B.S. Meteorology, 2012 M.S. Meteorology

2013 Hockey East Tournament Champions.
    2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions.
    2017 Hockey East Tournament Champions.

http://storm.uml.edu
    https://***********/umlweatherman

Comment

All too soon

But then again, I'm one who likes to hope for it all every year so its always too soon

Well, different being up in the perch. But if we're hawks then we need to get comfortable with it. Own it, learn to deal with it, move ahead. Once again, nothing will be given, on the other hand, the personal improvements seen by the (returning) players will only pay additional dividends as they go through the off-season building on an already solid base.

I'm sure there will be a few more post-game recriminations. Its tough to get this close and have it bust apart. The pieces are there for us and we've got so many people who want to be a part of what we have going on.

The party has ended for the night, but we clean up, take care of the trash, straighten the place out, and start it all again the next day.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

there any reason why Hockey East hasn't put our plaque on the Lamorello Trophy yet?
        The HE championship is still under video review. It will only take slightly longer than the review of the GW goal in Game 2 of the HE Quarters vs. Maine.

Comment

It hurts, and it will hurt for a while.

But in general, it took me less than an hour to get over the loss. Because I realized what this team accomplished this year. And it was amazing. A lot of memories to take out of this season.

Game itself ... we picked the worst possible time to play our worst game of the season. We were just on the back foot all afternoon/evening. And I'm not sure why.

Fun to see idiots like Midge come over and talk trash. What exactly has UVM won in Hockey East? Other than nothing?
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Teams have to order and put it on themselves, or at least they did as recently as 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
              Teams have to order and put it on themselves, or at least they did as recently as 2009.
              That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I'm not saying you're wrong but I'd assume it'd be a standard engraving.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                But in general, it took me less than an hour to get over the loss. Because I realized what this team accomplished this year. And it was amazing. A lot of memories to take out of this season.
                Seriously, the memories are what you'll take away from these things in the long-term. Yes the trophies are important and what not; but you're always going to remember those great moments and the pandemonium in the stands when they happened. As a BC fan, I've been fortunate enough to have been there in person for just an insane amount of Grade A moments. Who knows what that list for Lowell will look like 20 years down the road but you certainly got one big one last night.

Those 14 seconds last night will be the most memorable of your lives... until you all get laid.

OK sorry had to do it...

Great season Riverhawks.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I'm not saying you're wrong but I'd assume it'd be a standard engraving.
                  Wasn't room in the Hockey East budget?

BC was unable to find time in 2008 to do the engraving so when BU got it in '09 they had to skip a blank space after 2007 and then put their own on. That blank spot is what prompted me to ask the question and get the answer that the teams do it on their own.

Comment

the new Big Four.............BC,BU,PC and UML .......fantastic season and no shame losing to that team. I'm still wondering how we even got a point out of them at home, back when we didnt suck .They toyed with us all night.................nice post above by Nick

Comment

Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that Hellebuyck, Wilson, and Ruhwedel decide to stay, especially now that they may see they have some unfinished business to take care of.
                      Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                      Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                      Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                        Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that Hellebuyck, Wilson, and Ruhwedel decide to stay, especially now that they may see they have some unfinished business to take care of.
                        Likewise.

Also, assuming nobody leaves beaides the grads, who would be the new Captain since Wetmore is leaving
                        I'd probably be a lot less stressed if I wasn't a hockey fan, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                          Wasn't room in the Hockey East budget?

BC was unable to find time in 2008 to do the engraving so when BU got it in '09 they had to skip a blank space after 2007 and then put their own on. That blank spot is what prompted me to ask the question and get the answer that the teams do it on their own.
                          Thanks, Agganis. Interesting story! That cheap BC institution. You guys should've pitched in and had their engraving done and mispelled something.

Amen! There is a massive exodus to the pros this year. Some teams are getting decimated.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          Those 14 seconds last night will be the most memorable of your lives... until you all get laid.

OK sorry had to do it...

Great season Riverhawks.
                          Very tongue-in-cheek magnanimous reply ... well done! Thanks for the kudos.

I couldn't help but think that if BC had been in Lowell's shoes today, this board would've been full of posts about "Pretenders" and such. BC really does bring out the critics, doesn't it? I'm glad to see very few Lowell bashers ... and I'm not thinking of your post here Nick. I appreciated it for what it is ... good natured fun!

But, I was disappointed in Dave's recap. I hated the insinuation of Lowell being a "Cinderella" and their success being played off as some magic trick. I learned a lot from Dave about writing a decent recap. He taught me to find the "story" in the game. My "story" would've been more along the lines of Yale's success then Lowell's failure. Note sure I would agree with Cleggy that this was our worst game. I am more inclined to go with the assessment someone on the team (coach or player) made that went something like "taste of our own medicine". The break downs I saw last night were the same I've seen all season ... the difference just being Yale's finishing off the play and their unrelenting game plan that did not allow us to respond ... except for those glorious 14 seconds.

So, I'm still depressed about not playing Saturday and not sure if I want QU to avenge our loss or if I want to have lost to the National Champion. I do not agree with the press's constant noting of Yale as the team that squeaked into the tournament. I think they were something like 5th in PWR right before their disastrous weekend in Atlantic City. I think we lost to one of the top-8 teams in the country. I also think that with Yale's win, they have further solidified QU's standing as the true #1 team in the country. Point of note, I think we lost to a "young" team ... more to Yale's credit...whereas QU is a bunch of 23,24 and 25 year olds. I'm thinking QU prevails but those Bulldogs sure looked awesome yesterday.

Comment

Anyone know how to undo "multi-quote" on a thread without having to uncheck each post you quoted earlier?

Anyhow, having made that reply a few minutes ago seems to have been therapeutic ... cuz now I'm just thinking about how the team can improve for next year. One area I think needs attention is blueliner's in the offensive zone. Having watched Hamilton on the B's and remembering the talent on Lowell in the past (Nicholishen, Cappelletti, Hainsey) .. this is an area needing practice. For example, I can't remember how many times I've watched UML blueliners such as Suter throw the puck away. I love teams that utilize the blueliners to sustain or increase pressure. Cycling forwards can really exploit this option and I've seldom seen UML passing back to the point. But, yesterday's game had a moment where they did...and the d-man on the right had Suter on the left banging his stick - calling for the puck. But, as soon as he got it...he dumped it and Yale got possession. At least 95% of the time this season, that is what Suter has done. As soon as I see it transition to him...I say, "well, there goes our possession". Yesterday's moment had three Lowell forwards cycling deep in the right corner...then back to right point...over to left for Suter...and then dump into left corner....NO ONE WAS THERE. I love Suter, though .. for what he does incredibly well. I hesitate to criticize him because his skills far outweigh his shortcomings. But, he is the perfect example of what I'm getting at. There was another great defenseman that I loved but also suffered in this area - Ryan Blair. Only his shortcoming was more in the defensive zone...when he would get the puck passed to him off to one corner from another DMan under pressure on the other side of the rink or behind the net. Blair would just freeze .... and quickly the forecheck would be on him and he'd turned to the boards to cover the puck.

Manning the point is a very, very tough position....you have so much to worry about. Just seems like we don't have to be so cautious as to dump into empty corners.

Comment

Curious, shouldn't we be confident in Hellebuyck being here for some time ? I figured with Winnipeg signing the Denver goalie then that was a sign they were content to let Hellebuyck stay and develop. Maybe a sign of confidence in the program versus the flux going on in Denver?

On another note I would like to say that I had a great time at the Tsongas last night even with the results as they were. Got to learn alot about the game from Coach Riley in the 'luxury boxes' - great guy to listen to ( and learn )
                              Last edited by Pesky McGrath; 04-12-2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X