UMass Lowell Offseason Thread '13: In Norm We Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
    There are sufficient hotels in Andover, Tewksbury, Lowell, and Chelmsford to host a regional, so I don't think lodging would be too much of a concern.
    Don't forget about the Passport Inn (the old Motel 110) in Methuen is only 15 minutes away:-)

Comment

• Re: UMass Lowell Offseason Thread '13: In Norm We Trust

I'd love to see more of Providence, Manchester, Portland. They are nice cities with decent lodging downtown with bars in the area. Bridgeport is a total disaster and Worcester had a lack of bars interested in showing other games on ESPNU. There were a few bars in Manchester this year real willing to put on other games. Also, all three have regional airports to get people into and are fun New England cities within 1:45 of Boston.

The problem with some of these other cities like Toledo and Rochester is difficulty getting to and not having much to offer people. For example, it would be easier for older fans to convince family to make a weekend trip to Portland, Maine or Providence than to Worcester, Bridgeport, Toledo, etc.

Another idea I'd like to see them consider is having two regionals at each site. In other words, one regional go Thurs/Sat and the other regional go Fri/Sun at both sites. I know it would be difficult to get a place to give up four days, but it would be doable especially at AHL arenas such as Providence, Manchester, Worcester, Portland where they could just have the AHL team play elsewhere for weekend.
      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Manchester might have been OK if you stayed but was a complete disaster trying to get to. Missed the first period sitting for > half an hour trying to get off the exit. People were driving over the median on the main road. It was insane. Absolutely no planning by the venue or the city to accommodate the folks trying to get to the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          Manchester might have been OK if you stayed but was a complete disaster trying to get to. Missed the first period sitting for > half an hour trying to get off the exit. People were driving over the median on the main road. It was insane. Absolutely no planning by the venue or the city to accommodate the folks trying to get to the arena.
          I stayed over, but I heard horror stories of people who were stuck on the exit ramp trying to turn right. In general, I don't see the opposition to campus arenas. Baseball does it for the first two rounds.
          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

I think the biggest problem people had with Manchester is not knowing the area. North of the arena, a 5 minute walk, are a few more parking garages. They're easier to get to with traffic as Granite Street (exit 5) backs up on a normal traffic night. The arena, UML, UNH (host school) and the NCAA should have done a better job advertising alternative parking locations to make visitors lives a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
              I'd love to see more of Providence, Manchester, Portland. They are nice cities with decent lodging downtown with bars in the area. Bridgeport is a total disaster and Worcester had a lack of bars interested in showing other games on ESPNU. There were a few bars in Manchester this year real willing to put on other games. Also, all three have regional airports to get people into and are fun New England cities within 1:45 of Boston.

The problem with some of these other cities like Toledo and Rochester is difficulty getting to and not having much to offer people. For example, it would be easier for older fans to convince family to make a weekend trip to Portland, Maine or Providence than to Worcester, Bridgeport, Toledo, etc.

Another idea I'd like to see them consider is having two regionals at each site. In other words, one regional go Thurs/Sat and the other regional go Fri/Sun at both sites. I know it would be difficult to get a place to give up four days, but it would be doable especially at AHL arenas such as Providence, Manchester, Worcester, Portland where they could just have the AHL team play elsewhere for weekend.
              I grew up going to the centrum so I don't hate it... but if the local "scene" has fallen apart as it appears then it really shouldn't be a viable venue. Now granted "bars" won't show up in the bidding process but it is a waste of time at this point.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Penn State released their schedule. No change to the Lowell dates.
                http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...e/schedule.pdf

Comment

Oh, I really don't like this ... starting after UConn joins the league...
                  Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 10h
                  Per 2 coaching sources, after AD vote earlier this week, the 1st round of the HEA playoffs (5v12, 6v11, etc) will be 1 game & not best of 3
                  Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                    Oh, I really don't like this ... starting after UConn joins the league...
                    No, this is a pretty bad idea. Do they think having it be a one game deal will goose the number of butts in seats?

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      No, this is a pretty bad idea. Do they think having it be a one game deal will goose the number of butts in seats?
                      Might be...
                      Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                        Might be...
                        Its either that or they're trying to tighten the whole tournament to two weeks

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

The schedule will be officially released tomorrow.

Some tidbits about the schedule (not my calculations, but someone sent them to me):

Non conference opponents had a .450 winning percentage… that’s counting Quinnipiac twice, UMass once, Clarkson three times… etc… Only Quinnipiac had a winning record… Our Hockey East opponents had a winning percentage of .501… Full Schedule opponent winning percentage…? .481…
                          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                            The schedule will be officially released tomorrow.

Some tidbits about the schedule (not my calculations, but someone sent them to me):
                            The michigoons had a bad year... Penn State's on there... etc. I think there are a few teams on there that must be expected to do better next season.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Schedule is now official: http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/201...x?path=mhockey
                              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Still in my slight depression about the Bruins ... but then I just saw a picture of Carter Hutton holding up the Stanley Cup, with a huge smile on his face. That helped, a bit.
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X