PDA

View Full Version : ECAC Team Crowned 2013 NCAA DI Champion

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gotter
04-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Nice to say. Go 'dogs/'cats!

northeastern
04-11-2013, 11:14 PM
UConn's like.. heck.. we got this in a couple..
:-)

ExileOnDaytonStreet
04-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Congratulations on your team doing absolutely nothing to participate in that success. Well... absolutely nothing, outside of losing to Yale and Quinnipiac in the regular season, that is.

bdgrhcky13
04-11-2013, 11:15 PM
Looks like next year we need to put all of the ECAC teams in one regional to avoid an intraconference final game...

Congrats to Quinnipiac and Yale on earning some respect (including mine) over the past two weeks.

maineiac
04-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Looks like next year we need to put all of the ECAC teams in one regional to avoid an intraconference final game...

Congrats to Quinnipiac and Yale on earning some respect (including mine) over the past two weeks.

Some respect? I should think that it would be a whole lot!

Stauber1
04-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Some respect? I should think that it would be a whole lot!
meh. It's a down year ;)

In all seriousness, congratulations to both teams. Yale looks like a team on a mission, and Quinnipiac has been simply winning all season long.
Good luck to both sides on Sautrday, but I'll be pulling for the Q!

The Rube
04-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Go Yale. They've been knocking on that door to get in for a bit now. Let's reward them.

chickod
04-12-2013, 02:03 AM
This seems as good of a place as any to bring this up. Can anyone think of scenarios where two schools in a championship game have been in close physical proximity? The only one I can remember is 1978 in Providence when BU beat BC (3 miles apart). Yale and Quinnipiac are nine miles apart (as the crow flies), which would make them the second closest.

FlagDUDE08
04-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Congratulations on your team doing absolutely nothing to participate in that success. Well... absolutely nothing, outside of losing to Yale and Quinnipiac in the regular season, that is.

Losing to Yale? What's that? :p

sshablak
04-12-2013, 08:44 AM
A proud day for the ECAC, anyone cutting on this league now is either jealous , a moron, or both, and they know it !!

SJHovey
04-12-2013, 09:15 AM
I think these kinds of years are good for college hockey. It's what separates our sport from bounceyball, football, etc...

This is what I like to call a "what the **** year". Someone is sitting there looking at the list of past champions. "Michigan, DU, Minnesota, Michigan, North Dakota, BU, Cornell, BC, Minnesota, BC, Wisconsin, BU, North Dakota, wait a minute - RPI beat Providence? What the ****?"

This will be the same way, and I for one enjoy them.

I do think it would have been really fun to have Yale and SCSU in the championship game, since iirc about 3 weeks ago they were the last two teams, sweating the outcomes of the BU and Michigan games, to see if they made the tournament. That would have been pretty cool.

I actually caught a game one night in February between Yale and Q that someone, I think NBCSports, broadcast. It was a pretty good game, although I thought Q had the edge in goaltending that night. This should be another good game.

Ralph Baer
04-12-2013, 09:20 AM
This is what I like to call a "what the **** year". Someone is sitting there looking at the list of past champions. "Michigan, DU, Minnesota, Michigan, North Dakota, BU, Cornell, BC, Minnesota, BC, Wisconsin, BU, North Dakota, wait a minute - RPI beat Providence? What the ****?" FWIW, the only reason that PC was even competitive in that game was Terreri. OTOH, when RPI beat Minnesota in 1954, it rated a "What the ****".

bigblue_dl
04-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Quinnipiac has been slowly building towards this for a while, with a huge jump this year. Ever since they made the jump out of Atlantic Hockey they have really committed to the program, they have what I've heard is a top-notch facility and they just kept climbing the ladder. I have a feeling we may see Quinnipiac around for quite a while.

Bomber
04-12-2013, 09:29 AM
This seems as good of a place as any to bring this up. Can anyone think of scenarios where two schools in a championship game have been in close physical proximity? The only one I can remember is 1978 in Providence when BU beat BC (3 miles apart). Yale and Quinnipiac are nine miles apart (as the crow flies), which would make them the second closest.

Yep. And first time two schools from the same state have met in the NC game since 1978.

Was Harvard (1989) the last ECAC team to win a National Championship?

drshoen
04-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Yep. And first time two schools from the same state have met in the NC game since 1978.

Yes, and Colgate (1990) was the last to play in the final, until tomorrow

USAFA Bulldog
04-12-2013, 09:46 AM
After years of people saying ECAC what have you done? compared to the other leagues, this is really nice to see. That being said darn it SCSU. :(

aweise
04-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Yes...and Colgate (1990) was the last ECAC team to make it to the championship game. This is all from memory, but I think the ECAC has made it to the national semis a handful of times since then:

Clarkson (1991), Harvard (1994), Vermont (1996), SLU (2000), Cornell (2003), Union (2012), & Yale/Quinnipiac (2013)

None of them reached the championship game until this year.

ColSkate65
04-12-2013, 09:47 AM
By my count QU will lose 12 seniors while Yale loses 6. Guess they will just reload and we will have to face those juggernauts next season...yikes! To say nothing of Union, also a power now in ECAC play.

northeastern
04-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Yale.. the oldest collegiate hockey program.. wow.. did not know this..

http://archives.yalealumnimagazine.com/issues/03_02/old_yale.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale_Bulldogs_men's_ice_hockey

first game was in 1896..
National Championship game.. 2013..
about time! :)

engineerhockeyfan
04-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Great to see an ECAC final. Both teams played great games yesterday. If they play their games on Saturday, it will come down to Hartzell. Yale was as fast as I have ever seen them, and peppered UMass-Lowell's goalie, but still had a tough time finishing. Great goal to end the game.
I will be rooting for Yale as I still have a connection to that school and also for their hockey history. They have been around forever and finally have a chance at a championship.
Go Blue.