ECAC Team Crowned 2013 NCAA DI Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECAC Team Crowned 2013 NCAA DI Champion

After years of people saying ECAC what have you done? compared to the other leagues, this is really nice to see. That being said darn it SCSU.
    Last edited by USAFA Bulldog; 04-12-2013, 08:49 AM.
    Dirty: Why {shouldn't Grand Valley State} not just go the Miami way to fund DI? Rob banks and sell drugs.
    bigmrg74: GVSU has some speed, but not that kind of speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      Yep. And first time two schools from the same state have met in the NC game since 1978.

Was Harvard (1989) the last ECAC team to win a National Championship?
      Yes...and Colgate (1990) was the last ECAC team to make it to the championship game. This is all from memory, but I think the ECAC has made it to the national semis a handful of times since then:

Clarkson (1991), Harvard (1994), Vermont (1996), SLU (2000), Cornell (2003), Union (2012), & Yale/Quinnipiac (2013)

None of them reached the championship game until this year.
      Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

By my count QU will lose 12 seniors while Yale loses 6. Guess they will just reload and we will have to face those juggernauts next season...yikes! To say nothing of Union, also a power now in ECAC play.
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Yale.. the oldest collegiate hockey program.. wow.. did not know this..

http://archives.yalealumnimagazine.c.../old_yale.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale_Bu...9;s_ice_hockey

first game was in 1896..
          National Championship game.. 2013..
          about time!
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Great to see an ECAC final. Both teams played great games yesterday. If they play their games on Saturday, it will come down to Hartzell. Yale was as fast as I have ever seen them, and peppered UMass-Lowell's goalie, but still had a tough time finishing. Great goal to end the game.
            I will be rooting for Yale as I still have a connection to that school and also for their hockey history. They have been around forever and finally have a chance at a championship.
            Go Blue.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
              By my count QU will lose 12 seniors while Yale loses 6. Guess they will just reload and we will have to face those juggernauts next season...yikes! To say nothing of Union, also a power now in ECAC play.
              I think the scary team next year could be UML. I looked at their roster in the Boston Globe yesterday and they only lose 3 players.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Quinnipiac has been slowly building towards this for a while, with a huge jump this year. Ever since they made the jump out of Atlantic Hockey they have really committed to the program, they have what I've heard is a top-notch facility and they just kept climbing the ladder. I have a feeling we may see Quinnipiac around for quite a while.
              I don't like it but I do agree. Q Pac has something going on that none of the other schools in the conference have going on. They are (relatively speaking) in a metro area. They have arguably one of the nicest facilities in college hockey. They have an administration that is committed to growing their D-1 programs and spending tons of money on the team. They market their team (which minor other efforts aside I don't think any other ECAC team does.) They get TV exposure in in the Boston market by buying time on NESN....they had a Bobcat TV show on NESN along with multiple games broadcast. They have "professional" TV/Radio announcers.....compared to other ECAC teams they function more like an AHL or ECHL hockey team compared to other schools in the conference. An example of spending money?? With already arguably the nicest facility....they are supposed to be installing a new scoreboard complete with HD video replay. Who else in the ECAC does or can afford these types of things???? That is why they will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come.
              SLU

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post

first game was in 1896..
                about time!
                If you're ever in New Haven for a game, check out the Schley room at Ignall's. Classy setup with team photos on the wall of every Yale squad.

*****http://giving.yale.edu/sites/default/files/imagecache/image_gallery/image_galleries/Ingalls_05.jpg******

Comment

There's a picture on the wall at Taft School rink in Watertown from the late 1800's where they refer to the sport as "Ice Polo."

Comment

Originally posted by Stan The Man View Post
                    If you're ever in New Haven for a game, check out the Schley room at Ignall's. Classy setup with team photos on the wall of every Yale squad.

*****http://giving.yale.edu/sites/default/files/imagecache/image_gallery/image_galleries/Ingalls_05.jpg******
                    The Whale is pretty cool.. especially after the renovations. Matthews Arena as well has pics of NU teams from the 1920s & on.. thanks.

Now go swamp that ice like a whale.. Yale!
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    Always bullish on the future.
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Saturday's winner will join RPI and Bowling Green as the only three teams who are undefeated in the national championship game after having played at least one.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                        An example of spending money?? With already arguably the nicest facility....they are supposed to be installing a new scoreboard complete with HD video replay. Who else in the ECAC does or can afford these types of things????
                        Mike, the new HD scoreboard seems to come from landing the women's Frozen Four next year. I think the bulk of the money came from a private donation but am not positive. It's not just the administration dumping money into the program.
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post

first game was in 1896..
                          about time!
                          This is why I am rooting for them. It has been a long time coming for them and I think they should get it. QU is going to be one tough team.

Did anyone notice how hard the ice was night? Lots of slipping and falling that hurt some offensive chances for all teams.
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

This article makes it sound like Yale is going to be playing a bunch of professionals.
                            I know that Q had a mature team, but did not realize how old they were.

http://deadspin.com/fgcu-on-ice-how-...y-te-472475765

Just doesn't seem like amateur athletes to me.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              This article makes it sound like Yale is going to be playing a bunch of professionals.

This is a tired argument. Move on. Beat the team that's put in front of you.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

As long as they're abiding by all NCAA rules, I really don't see the problem.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X