Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best NCAA Championship by a league (ever)....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The best NCAA Championship by a league (ever)....

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
    They've been chest-thumping that they are for real and deserve respect, not that they are some dynastic powerhouse or that they are part of "the greatest conference-performance in the history of the NCAA Ice Hockey Championships."
    Not quite. They are a real team, deserving of the same respect that the old guard have, and a real conference, deserving to be mentioned along with HE and WCHA. Yaledog or whoever he is, is not counted. That's what I've been seeing throughout the season. I say, time will tell.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
      I think there's a difference between the Q fans (who belong here) and the Yale/other ECAC fans, who are just enjoying the ride.
      Yale has earned it as much as Quinnipiac has.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        Yale has earned it as much as Quinnipiac has.
        Yale has earned it more. They've been knocking for a couple years, now.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Not quite. They are a real team, deserving of the same respect that the old guard have, and a real conference, deserving to be mentioned along with HE and WCHA. Yaledog or whoever he is, is not counted. That's what I've been seeing throughout the season. I say, time will tell.
          I guess I haven't seen Quinnipiac fans arguing that the ECAC deserved the same prestige that has historically been given to the WCHA and HE. But maybe I missed it.
          At any rate, Saturday will be a great day for both programs, and a nice feather in the ECAC's cap. But I'm with you on the "time will tell" line of thinking. The ECAC has had a little more success in the past few years. If they can continue to make strides and develop a bit more parity throughout the conference, they will earn that prestige within the college hockey community.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
            I guess I haven't seen Quinnipiac fans arguing that the ECAC deserved the same prestige that has historically been given to the WCHA and HE. But maybe I missed it.
            At any rate, Saturday will be a great day for both programs, and a nice feather in the ECAC's cap. But I'm with you on the "time will tell" line of thinking. The ECAC has had a little more success in the past few years. If they can continue to make strides and develop a bit more parity throughout the conference, they will earn that prestige within the college hockey community.
            Totally agree. Earn the respect. Don't Jan it and demand respect. I admit, tArrogance is saying "I don't care about this title game," but I am preferring Yale wins it. As of right now, they've been at the doorstep more, and frankly, they deserve it more.

Comment

Totally agree. Earn the respect. Don't Jan it and demand respect. I admit, tArrogance is saying "I don't care about this title game," but I am preferring Yale wins it. As of right now, they've been at the doorstep more, and frankly, they deserve it more.
              They haven't been on the doorstep since the 50's...

They both deserve it because they both have played their way here.
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                They haven't been on the doorstep since the 50's...

They both deserve it because they both have played their way here.
                Disagree. Have they made the title game? No. Have they been beating teams (stress quotes) "they shouldn't have" as of late? Yes. Therefore, knocking at the door.

Comment

Seeing what allain can do at yale, how is ted donato still employed?

Comment

The ECAC took a bunch of crap here for years. Quinnipiac especially got no respect. People here were complaining about how easy a cake walk BC would have to the Frozen Four this year before the tournament started, and Quinny was in that bracket. Good for the conference that they got two teams to the finals, knocking off two Hockey East (3 if you count Union beating BC) schools and three WCHA schools in the process. It's understandable that they would pump their chests out at this time.
                    #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by yalehockeyfan View Post
                      The ECAC has taken it's lumps within this forum.
                      And given the championship teams that have been produced by the other conferences and not the ECAC over past years, that criticism has legitimate basis. HOWEVER, if you are going to say that Championships are everything, then is the 2013 Championship the best EVER performance by a conference (based on record).

With that said, the 2013 NCAA Championship will see the ECAC go 6-0 versus non-league opponents (including defeating BC, Minn, North Dakota, etc, etc) and put 2 teams in the final. Of course when ECAC plays ECAC only one team can win.
                      Has a conference ever replicated this in the past, or done even better (i.e. have 4 teams from a single conference gone undefeated versus other conferences?)
                      It didn't take long for your post to take on water and sink... I would have expected better, I mean with your fancy edumacation and all.

Comment

Disagree. Have they made the title game? No. Have they been beating teams (stress quotes) "they shouldn't have" as of late? Yes. Therefore, knocking at the door.
                        You can disagree all you want, but you're still wrong. They haven't made the Frozen 4 since the 50's....winning a game in the tournament from time to time isn't "knocking on the doorstep"
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by yalehockeyfan View Post
                          Nice try but Michigan (CCHA) beat Wisconsin (WCHA) in the first round so pretty sure that WCHA didn't go undefeated in the NCAAs that year against all other conferences....
                          Hockey east did the same in 1999, Maine beat BC and UNH for the only losses for the league, went 6-0 outside the league, three teams made the frozen four, and any one of those three teams would steamroll the field today.... Having an all league frozen four (wcha) is more impressive than both....
                          Last edited by WildShawn; 04-12-2013, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                            You can disagree all you want, but you're still wrong. They haven't made the Frozen 4 since the 50's....winning a game in the tournament from time to time isn't "knocking on the doorstep"
                            Mathematically the leagues have been comparable for the past two to three years except at the very top where the very best teams from the ECAC were not comparable to the very top teams from the HE, WCHA, & CCHA. However, just below the top the teams and leagues were all very competitive and very comparable with each other. Two years ago both Union and Yale made it the the NCAA's but lost to a standout Duluth team which went on to win it all. Union lost 2-0 to Duluth that year but Duluth was in a league of its own. The ECAC record was 1-2 in 2011. Last year the ECAC almost had two in the final four so its been building for a while. The ECAC record in 2012 improved to 3-2. This year the only NCAA losses suffered by the ECAC will be at the hands of other ECAC teams and its record will be 8-2, I think. That stands in stark contrast to the WCHA's record.

Something that has helped the ECAC is the tough competition in the league from top to bottom. There were no easy wins by anyone, anywhere, anytime although Quinnipiac made it look easy. When your last place team can beat BU twice, something is up.

What bods well for the ECAC going forward is the wealth of talent returning on a number of very very young and developing teams like Dartmouth, Brown, RPI, Colgate, Cornell, Yale, St. Lawrence, Harvard, Princeton, etc. I am not sure the ECAC will continue to produce the same number of winners at the very top but they will be very very competitive in the "rank and file" next year and I would not be surprised to see ECAC teams return to the frozen four on a more regular basis.
                            Last edited by Dutchman; 04-12-2013, 06:18 AM.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I would say BC knocked on the door from '98-'00

Yale would be a notch below that. They've been making tournaments, have been in a couple regional finals and now this is their true breakout year.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                Seeing what allain can do at yale, how is ted donato still employed?
                                Good point.. because (just like Northeastern) ..they have a bunch of Peter Roby types.. after all, he came from there.. they just don't care.. the lot!
                                :-)
                                GO NU HOCKEY
                                Always bullish on the future.
                                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X