PDA

View Full Version : Attendance at Pittsburgh

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Patman
04-19-2013, 09:23 PM
If that statement was indeed made by the President of the Pens, then I have a whole new respect for that franchise. College kids stand and jump up and down and do other antics at college hockey games. That's part of what separates it from the pro game. If all of the complainers have gone to as many college games and FFs as they claim, they should know this.

So stop whining and get over yourselves. I'm glad the kids had fun at your expense.

Remind me who buys the tickets?

I empathize with Greg... I'd rather have the students in the back but that's because its easier to be heard if you aren't blocked by the glass. You live and die for decades, I don't think one should have to take **** for it.

CLS
04-19-2013, 09:41 PM
If that statement was indeed made by the President of the Pens, then I have a whole new respect for that franchise. College kids stand and jump up and down and do other antics at college hockey games. That's part of what separates it from the pro game. If all of the complainers have gone to as many college games and FFs as they claim, they should know this.

So stop whining and get over yourselves. I'm glad the kids had fun at your expense.The complainers have been to many college hockey games and to many Frozen Fours and know itís possible to accommodate both the students and those who want to want to sit through the game. Anyone who takes pleasure in someone elseís FF experience being spoiled fits my definition of a jerk.

pgb-ohio
04-20-2013, 12:38 AM
The complainers have been to many college hockey games and to many Frozen Fours and know itís possible to accommodate both the students and those who want to want to sit through the game. Anyone who takes pleasure in someone elseís FF experience being spoiled fits my definition of a jerk.This; plus the fact that most on the thread have gone out of their way to say they want both groups accommodated, not just one side or the other.

jimmyjam1
04-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Yale did it right! They put the students at the top of their two sections. The kids stood for the whole game and didn't block the view of "the money".

Osorojo
04-21-2013, 11:52 AM
What's the bottom line? How much revenue for college hockey was generated by gate receipts at Pittsburgh, and how much revenue was generated by television contracts? These numbers would help put things in perspective, but I have no idea how to access this information. Perhaps you do and would share this information.

pgb-ohio
04-21-2013, 06:52 PM
What's the bottom line? How much revenue for college hockey was generated by gate receipts at Pittsburgh, and how much revenue was generated by television contracts? These numbers would help put things in perspective...How so? If TV ratings suddenly doubled, would that change the rules for ticketholder behavior? Or, if there were no TV coverage at all, would the rules suddenly change? My thought would be no.

Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting question. I'm just don't think it's relevant to this specific conversation.

...but I have no idea how to access this information. Perhaps you do and would share this information.Compared to other revenue sports, the gate is usually more important for hockey, meaning a higher percentage of the whole. At the same time, TV revenue is usually a smaller percentage of hockey's intake.

But as for the specific numbers for the 2013 FF, I don't know how to access that either -- or if the information is even public yet.

HockeyMan2000
04-22-2013, 12:04 AM

So stop whining and get over yourselves. I'm glad the kids had fun at your expense.

Yes, spend time and $$ driving/flying to get to Pittsburgh, paying money for food and lodging, just to watch hockey....that you can't see because of a group of students standing? You've got to be kidding. No wonder these folks were upset. Anyone would be -- except you, I guess.

Terrierbyassociation
04-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Re: public transportation

Agreed on taxis. In my experience, it is the worst city in the US for cabs: there just aren't enough of them, and rates are exorbitant. Downtown to South Side and South Side to my Oaktown hotel were each around $15-17 (inc tip). Per Google Maps, both routes are ~2 miles. (And there is such a dearth of cabs that I actually hailed the same one for both of those trips lol.)

For day trips, though, I've found the bus quite reliable. Downloaded the Tiramisu app and it worked great--not surprising, given that it was developed by Carnegie Mellon. The 28X/airport flyer bus is a great deal at $3.75 from PIT to downtown/Oaktown, and buses run from Oaktown to downtown every few minutes. Also took the bus from Oaktown to a Regent Square bar for $2.50; same 3.5 mile trip back by cab was $24.

All in all, I had a good time in PGH, as expected. They have two top notch facilities in Consol and PNC (Heinz is meh, but all football stadiums are basically meh). Decent bar scene, enough sightseeing for a 3-4 day trip, and people are nice--a couple ppl actually said "Thank you for coming to PGH" (I've read here that others had similar experiences). Good job, PGH, RMU, and everyone else involved (save for the ********* who gave Greg Ambrose $50).

So I went to Carnegie Mellon for undergrad. When I was there, it was something we lamented back then, that if you went anywhere, you better **** make sure you had a bus home, otherwise you were walking a long way back.

Nothing has changed even though there are a lot more great places to eat and drink in Pittsburgh than there were 10 years ago, starting my senior year of college. (Wow time flies.)

The 28x? That bus is the bomb. It still ends right in front of my freshman/sophomore dorm on Morewood.

Cabs were hard to hail back then, and I remember walking three miles home from a Weezer concert at Mellon Arena back in the day because of spotty bus service.

I love the city, but it's a pain in the *** without a car. If you want to drink, you need a DD. End of story.