PDA

View Full Version : Attendance at Pittsburgh

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Quinn57
04-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Watching it on TV I had a similar impression. At first I thought nobody was there because the corporate stiff seats were empty behind the bench, but once the camera scanned the whole crowd I was pleasantly surprised.

Look, the event is hampered by 1) upsets galore so a lot of people who were expecting to go most likely bagged it, 2) being held in a boring city, and 3) the teams that did make it don't have huge fan bases and aren't nearby (although perhaps the drive from CT isn't that bad. I do know going across NY or PA seems longer than it is as there's nothing in the middle of both states).

Back in 09 when I went I could see a good attendance happening even though there were relatively small schools aside from BU there because DC was an interesting place to go and you probably made the trip even if your school didn't make it. Pittsburgh and to a greater extent Philly (which is a sh ! thole) are a bigger test of whether the event can draw no matter what. Personally I think it can.

You think Philly is bad? Venture out of Kensington next time sir.

Think it'll be great next year. Really accessible compared with Pittsburgh.

billmich88888
04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
How can any city ever be worse than Detroit?

As far as top 30 metro areas go, Detroit is by far the worst central city in North America....

Pittsburgh is a "clean" "safe" city by comparison

COHockey
04-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Empty NCAA and sponsor seats have always been a problem, but I don't remember being so obvious until this year. Other than moving them to the corners, what other viable options are really possible? Can I email the sponsors next and beg for seats?

MarkEagleUSA
04-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Pittsburgh is a "clean" "safe" city by comparisonWe did a lot of walking around yesterday, even crossed the river to see PNC Park. I was amazed at how clean and un-congested the area was. Mid-day traffic was mild and there weren't throngs of people milling around, even during lunch hour. I also never saw any "shady" characters or felt nervous. We even had some folks come up to us while we were eating lunch to wish us well in the final. They asked us how we were enjoying our stay and thanked us for coming to Pittsburgh. There was also a doorman in front of the Fairmont hotel that spent several minutes explaining various sights to see and where all the best food was (his ultimate suggestion being Primanti's). Plus, the area has a unique beauty with the mix of old and new architecture and it's narrow hilly streets.

On the attendance issue, I'm not sure what kind of numbers were affected but heard that many people who were flying never made it to town on time Thursday due to weather delays and cancellations around the country. One couple we were talking to didn't arrive until Friday morning.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the weekend thus far and have been more than impressed by my first Frozen Four, in and out of the arena.

romo
04-13-2013, 11:22 AM
We did a lot of walking around yesterday, even crossed the river to see PNC Park. I was amazed at how clean and un-congested the area was. Mid-day traffic was mild and there weren't throngs of people milling around, even during lunch hour. I also never saw any "shady" characters or felt nervous. We even had some folks come up to us while we were eating lunch to wish us well in the final. They asked us how we were enjoying our stay and thanked us for coming to Pittsburgh. There was also a doorman in front of the Fairmont hotel that spent several minutes explaining various sights to see and where all the best food was (his ultimate suggestion being Primanti's). Plus, the area has a unique beauty with the mix of old and new architecture and it's narrow hilly streets.

On the attendance issue, I'm not sure what kind of numbers were affected but heard that many people who were flying never made it to town on time Thursday due to weather delays and cancellations around the country. One couple we were talking to didn't arrive until Friday morning.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the weekend thus far and have been more than impressed by my first Frozen Four, in and out of the arena.

Hi
You and i touched bases when Q played RMU .
I wish you all the best in your final against Yale.
RMU hosting the Frozen Four is really a big
deal for them. I hope they do a good job and the
Console center is jammed with supporters for your
final-----Good Luck

brassbonanza
04-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Didn't offer ANY tickets to Pens season ticket holders? Who in the world came up with that bright idea? If you're trying to draw some of the local market, wouldn't it be best to offer them to those who are (supposedly) the most ardent fans of the sport?

Also, it didn't help the TV angle that all of the Lowell fans left after game one, and there were loads of empty seats in plain view of the camera. Sure, they lost, but they also did the same thing in the HE semifinal after they beat PC, mass exodus before the BU-BC semi that left a large chunk of seats open. That one puzzled me...you've already paid for your ticket, you've won your game and now get to see who you'll play in the final, and it's a huge rivalry game, why leave?

J.D.
04-13-2013, 02:36 PM
From what I saw, the building may not have been full, but very good representation from all three eastern teams. It's the neutrals who have stayed away. We all knew this group of four would result in a soft ticket so
nobody should be surprised by this. Overall attendance at these things has been great over the years.

riverchief1
04-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Didn't offer ANY tickets to Pens season ticket holders? Who in the world came up with that bright idea? If you're trying to draw some of the local market, wouldn't it be best to offer them to those who are (supposedly) the most ardent fans of the sport?

Also, it didn't help the TV angle that all of the Lowell fans left after game one, and there were loads of empty seats in plain view of the camera. Sure, they lost, but they also did the same thing in the HE semifinal after they beat PC, mass exodus before the BU-BC semi that left a large chunk of seats open. That one puzzled me...you've already paid for your ticket, you've won your game and now get to see who you'll play in the final, and it's a huge rivalry game, why leave?

Unfortunately at both the HE semi final and the Yale game, the student buses were scheduled to leave immediately after the game and that's what happened. The students had no choice but to leave, at least those that came on the buses. I thought it was odd also but that was the deal for those who came on the student buses.

LtPowers
04-13-2013, 09:14 PM
There was also a doorman in front of the Fairmont hotel that spent several minutes explaining various sights to see and where all the best food was (his ultimate suggestion being Primanti's).

You know you're in Pittsburgh when a doorman recommends the steelworkers' lunch joint to tourists. ;)

Anyone who says there's nothing to do in Pittsburgh isn't trying hard enough. Anyone with even a modicum of interest in baseball owes it to themselves to walk across the Clemente bridge and see a game at PNC Park. There's a museum for just about any interest, most of them with "Carnegie" in their names. Or hell, fork over $3.50 for the trip up the incline, or hang around Station Square.

Powers &8^]

gambs
04-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Watching it on TV I had a similar impression. At first I thought nobody was there because the corporate stiff seats were empty behind the bench, but once the camera scanned the whole crowd I was pleasantly surprised.

Look, the event is hampered by 1) upsets galore so a lot of people who were expecting to go most likely bagged it, 2) being held in a boring city, and 3) the teams that did make it don't have huge fan bases and aren't nearby (although perhaps the drive from CT isn't that bad. I do know going across NY or PA seems longer than it is as there's nothing in the middle of both states).

Back in 09 when I went I could see a good attendance happening even though there were relatively small schools aside from BU there because DC was an interesting place to go and you probably made the trip even if your school didn't make it. Pittsburgh and to a greater extent Philly (which is a sh ! thole) are a bigger test of whether the event can draw no matter what. Personally I think it can.

Philly is a great city with lots to do and see. I'm not sure I know what you are talking about and I'm not sure you do either.

gambs
04-13-2013, 09:20 PM
You know you're in Pittsburgh when a doorman recommends the steelworkers' lunch joint to tourists. ;)

Anyone who says there's nothing to do in Pittsburgh isn't trying hard enough. Anyone with even a modicum of interest in baseball owes it to themselves to walk across the Clemente bridge and see a game at PNC Park. There's a museum for just about any interest, most of them with "Carnegie" in their names. Or hell, fork over $3.50 for the trip up the incline, or hang around Station Square.

Powers &8^]

Completely agree. This is not your father's Pittsburgh.

Hux
04-13-2013, 09:52 PM

Man, that sucks. At least the final had some atmosphere, which was lacking on Thursday night....at least as far as what came across on TV.

The Freds
04-13-2013, 11:02 PM
Did the PC jersey make it this year? I remember it was AWOL a few years ago.

The PC jersey only missed that one time.

CLS
04-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Good crowd tonight. Some parts of rows vacant, but no large empty blocks, even in the St. Cloud, UML, and NCAA sections. Well done Cinderella fans, UML and St. Cloud fans, neutrals and locals.:)

aallenpollreisz
04-14-2013, 01:01 AM
As far as tickets sold, though the championship game got pretty close, neither of the three games sold out.

17,428 for the national semifinals and 18,184 for the championship game. Consol Energy Center seats 18,387.

If I'm not mistaken, that's two years in a row now. I'm a bit concerned.

Butch
04-14-2013, 03:07 AM
I was freaking flipping out to go but couldn't find anyone to carpool with me!

J.D.
04-14-2013, 12:18 PM
As far as tickets sold, though the championship game got pretty close, neither of the three games sold out.

17,428 for the national semifinals and 18,184 for the championship game. Consol Energy Center seats 18,387.

If I'm not mistaken, that's two years in a row now. I'm a bit concerned.

Those numbers considering the four schools involved? Honestly, doesn't concern me at all.

chickod
04-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Those numbers considering the four schools involved? Honestly, doesn't concern me at all.

Agreed. You know that Yale fans for the most part can simply afford to hop a flight and pay whatever to get a ticket on late notice if their team made the final. And (at least it looked that way on TV) 3/4 of the building was cheering for Yale. So that probably saved the gate, because if they're not there, can't imagine a game with St. Cloud or Lowell is going to draw 18,000.

Patman
04-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Agreed. You know that Yale fans for the most part can simply afford to hop a flight and pay whatever to get a ticket on late notice if their team made the final. And (at least it looked that way on TV) 3/4 of the building was cheering for Yale. So that probably saved the gate, because if they're not there, can't imagine a game with St. Cloud or Lowell is going to draw 18,000.

You clearly weren't there. We had more than Yale on Thursday. We still had a good number despite being bounced. We did our job.

J.D.
04-14-2013, 02:54 PM
As I said before, all three eastern schools were well represented. That wasn't the issue (and I'm not blaming St. Cloud). With these four teams, outside their fans, it was always gonna be a soft ticket.