Bangor Daily News: Whitehead Fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bangor Daily News: Whitehead Fired

Whoever they hire at DU now can know they were not their first choice and only got it because another coach said no

Comment

• Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
      There are also legitimate concerns about Bob that aren't there with Jimmy. Fair or not, he *was* on board the ship when it sank.
      Agreed. You need to hold the person in charge accountable though. Do we really know who did what recruiting wise the last five years? I think the potential issues with Jimmy are a lot worse than anything with Bob. Maine didn't beat Lowell and BC twice last year with no talent. I'm excited to see what the team has to offer if they work hard over the summer.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        Agreed. You need to hold the person in charge accountable though. Do we really know who did what recruiting wise the last five years? I think the potential issues with Jimmy are a lot worse than anything with Bob. Maine didn't beat Lowell and BC twice last year with no talent. I'm excited to see what the team has to offer if they work hard over the summer.
        The only negative with Jim is that Cindy was Maine's star athlete and didn't get the results coaching, so maybe they're afraid of the same thing happening twice. The fact Denver hired him though says that he is the real deal, and at the very least if UMaine took themselves and their fans seriously they would have reached out to him already.

Comment

• Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
          If it is in fact Corkum's job, I'll be interested to see what he does from a staff perspective. I've never been a Kerluke fan. If Corks letter is serious, I think he needs to go out and find someone with better recruiting chops than Kerluke
          I know for a fact there is an excellent former assistant and current NHL scout that would fit nicely...
          Been a long time, been a long time been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time

Thank you, Tim. You did what you could and could do no more.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            Bangor? I hardly even know her!
            First you Brewer, then you Bangor.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
              The only negative with Jim is that Cindy was Maine's star athlete and didn't get the results coaching, so maybe they're afraid of the same thing happening twice. The fact Denver hired him though says that he is the real deal, and at the very least if UMaine took themselves and their fans seriously they would have reached out to him already.
              The DUI and alleged recruiting violations were...assets?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Disagree 100%. Look at Bobs resume next to Jim's. what has Bob done as a coach? Jim has had success everywhere he's coached. Bob is under .500 as a coach. Lets be real here, Abbott is too much of a wimp to fire Bob along with Tim. Everyone knows Mintgomery has more potential as a D1 coach in every category. Maine missed out on a opportunity to score another Walsh today.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  Denver came up with a list of four finalists to bring in for interviews about a week and a half after firing their coach. Interviews done, and apparently a new coach hired, week and a half. According to Abbott, Maine hasn't even formed a search committee, and is in no hurry to do so. "Not gonna rush this decision".
                  where did you hear that Maine hasn't even formed a committee? I was told the committee is already at work. Not that we can take anything at face value with this AD...

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    Hire Jimmy as the head coach, and keep Corkum on as an assistant. That's a powerful combination. If Corkum is as passionate about getting Maine hockey back to where it was, maybe he has to be patient accept being the top assistant under the new head coach. Just because he is interim due to the firing of Whitehead doesn't mean he's entitled to being the head coach going forward. Like it or not, he has to realize that he was part of the coaching staff that only won a couple home games. He should be hopeful whoever the head coach is would want to keep him on. Maybe the combo of Montgomery/Corkum/Kerluke can work together to bring back the Maine style of hockey. I guess I'm trying to say there may be a good chance if Jimmy is the next head coach, Corkum stays on as the top assistant.

I would think that makes a lot of sense and fans would probably be very happy. It wouldn't take long before season ticket holders come back.
                    Last edited by BlackI; 04-13-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Looks like I'll have another season (or more) ahead of NOT going to Maine games. What am I gonna do with all of the money I am saving? I think it's time to start shopping for new cars come Monday. The least I can do is help get the economy moving!

GO BOBCATS! BEAT YALE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        where did you hear that Maine hasn't even formed a committee? I was told the committee is already at work. Not that we can take anything at face value with this AD...
                        Abbott has said so himself. "We're not gonna rush into things, and make sure we make the right choice".

Maine athletic director Steve Abbott said on Friday that nobody had been contacted about the job and a search committee would be put together next week to begin the process. He said UM wanted to take its time to make sure it landed the right coach.
                        Well, the right choice has left the building.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

No mention of Jack Capuano, his family wife kids still live in Bangor
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            No mention of Jack Capuano, his family wife kids still live in Bangor
                            Is he going to be Bob's recruiter for a year?

Comment

So, when does our illustrious AD department announce who the coveted list of candidates from their national search is? I am sure by now they contacted at least a dozen folks with maybe half of them already lined up for interviews. And no doubt Montgomery, the guy we all wanted to see, is on that list right? You know, I just cant wait for this whole above the board, highly visible process to take place. Its going to be exciting, isnt it? And what a stellar selection committee I am sure they have assembled for this deal. Man, I can hardly wait...what we have all looked forward to with great anticipation, after the years and years of anguish with Whitehead. How wonderful can it be now that there is no more closed door deals ...
                              Last edited by all bear; 04-13-2013, 05:39 PM.
                              sure why not

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                                Abbott has said so himself. "We're not gonna rush into things, and make sure we make the right choice".

Well, the right choice has left the building.
                                unreal. Well, you know the old adage about how you know a politician is lying. Just wonder if he was lying then or lying now.

Someone might have to tell him that the world isn't going to sit still while he waits...

Comment

Working...
                                X