Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard would a puck have to be shot to be able to knock the goalie into the net?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard would a puck have to be shot to be able to knock the goalie into the net?

Most of us fans have a six-month wait before we see our teams skate again. But you can stay mentally sharp, this week at least, by checking out my favorite non-hockey site: http://what-if.xkcd.com/

This week it carefully calculates the question posed by the title of the thread (and as a bonus, it describes the toll that such a shot would take on the goalie and how much you could tilt a rink till all the players slid to the low end).

If you're killing time till the first game next October, browse back to earlier posts that answer such pressing questions as: how many b-b guns would it take to stop a locomotive; what if you tried to fly a Cessna in Venus's atmosphere (bad things); and how long could you survive in a cooling pond for spent nuclear rods?

One-hundred and eighty days to go till hockey starts up again. And counting. Slowly.

Re: How hard would a puck have to be shot to be able to knock the goalie into the net

If you're shooting against Ben Scrivens, not very. We were able to do that in 07-08.

Comment

Re: How hard would a puck have to be shot to be able to knock the goalie into the net

Originally posted by goalguard View Post
      Most of us fans have a six-month wait before we see our teams skate again. But you can stay mentally sharp, this week at least, by checking out my favorite non-hockey site: http://what-if.xkcd.com/

This week it carefully calculates the question posed by the title of the thread (and as a bonus, it describes the toll that such a shot would take on the goalie and how much you could tilt a rink till all the players slid to the low end).

If you're killing time till the first game next October, browse back to earlier posts that answer such pressing questions as: how many b-b guns would it take to stop a locomotive; what if you tried to fly a Cessna in Venus's atmosphere (bad things); and how long could you survive in a cooling pond for spent nuclear rods?

One-hundred and eighty days to go till hockey starts up again. And counting. Slowly.
      Have you watched Problem Child 3 lately?
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

This proves once and for all that physics is lame.
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Sounds like a job for Mythbusters!

Comment

All I know is only WCHA teams could do it.
            AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

You must shoot it "Fulton Reed hard"
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                All I know is only WCHA teams could do it.
                Bull****. I've seen an EZAC team do it.

Comment

I went to school so I wouldn't have to read about Physics anymore...
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

that kid from the mighty ducks hockey team got laid out a few times

Comment

I don't think it is possible to shoot a puck hard enough to knock the goalie into the net. Any puck shot that hard would probably put a hole through him first instead.

Basic physics: momentum = mass times velocity. Since the puck has so little mass relative to the goalie, the puck's velocity would have to be extremely high. At that speed, it would be like a cannonball.

PS If that's what the link in the original post said, my apologies, my browser security settings won't let me open that link.
                      Last edited by FreshFish; 04-05-2013, 09:33 AM.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Lots of factors here. Are we talking the puck knocks him over onto his back or he just slides into the net standing on his skates? If the goalie is standing on his skates and they are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the ground aiming directly into the net, it might not take as much as you'd think to slide him into the net. Basically kinetic energy of the puck (.5*mass*velocity^2) must equal the work done by friction between the ice and the skates throughout the distance of the slide (coefficient of friction*mass of the goalie*distance) ignoring air resistance (which I think is comparatively negligible). The puck would also need to hit him at his center of gravity and at a 90 degree angle to his body. If you want to account for a glancing hit, I think you would just multiply the puck energy by sin(angle).This also assumes the energy of the puck isn't absorbed by the clothing/pads/body (which it definitely would be). If we assume 60% of the energy of the puck is absorbed (I have no idea what the actual percentage would be, probably more like 80-90% since that's what they're made to do) just multiply the puck energy by (1-.6) and you can do some algebra (yes math) to find the velocity. I haven't done this type of thing in a while but I'm pretty sure this is right. Though the numbers seem to be coming out to about 16 miles/hour so that seems low. Then again, I'm not sure about the coefficient of friction or the percentage of energy absorbed and that's pretty important.

Comment

Wicked hard.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            I don't think it is possible to shoot a puck hard enough to knock the goalie into the net. Any puck shot that hard would probably put a hole through him first instead.

Basic physics: momentum = mass times velocity. Since the puck has so little mass relative to the goalie, the puck's velocity would have to be extremely high. At that speed, it would be like a cannonball.

PS If that's what the link in the original post said, my apologies, my browser security settings won't let me open that link.
                            You can get to the link and the analysis by googling "what if xkcd" The physics guru says the speed would have to be between mach 2 and mach 8, depending on certain assumptions. The puck would then burst apart inside the goalie.

I don't have the rule book in front of me, but I think this would count as a goal as it would happen so fast, the ref wouldn't even have the time to formulate the intent to whistle the play dead (not to mention indicating the same for the goalie).

Comment

Originally posted by goalguard View Post
                              You can get to the link and the analysis by googling "what if xkcd" The physics guru says the speed would have to be between mach 2 and mach 8, depending on certain assumptions. The puck would then burst apart inside the goalie.

I don't have the rule book in front of me, but I think this would count as a goal as it would happen so fast, the ref wouldn't even have the time to formulate the intent to whistle the play dead (not to mention indicating the same for the goalie).
                              If a puck splits and both pieces go in, the goal counts. Otherwise, play is blown dead. It did happen in I think juniors (or was it college?) where a player shot the puck so hard that when it hit the post, it split in two.

Comment

Working...
                              X