PDA

View Full Version : Who will be crowned the Hobey Baker award??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SCSU red army
04-02-2013, 11:27 PM
As the Hobey Baker award is coming near I thought a new thread is needed for predicting winner.

Okay here are the top ten hobey candidates.

-Greg Carey, Jr, F, St. Lawrence University
-Carsen Chubak, Jr, G, Niagara University
-Austin Czarnik, So, F, Miami University
-Kyle Flanagan, Sr, F, St. Lawrence University
-Johnny Gaudreau, So, F, Boston College
-Eric Hartzell, Sr, G, Quinnipiac University
-Corban Knight, Sr, F, University of North Dakota
-Danny Kristo, Sr, F, University of North Dakota
-Drew LeBlanc, Sr, F, St. Cloud State University
-Ryan Walters, Jr, F, University of Nebraska Omaha

Lets hear your picks and why GO!!

MavHockey14
04-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Top 3: LeBlanc, Kristo, Hartzell

Bonin21
04-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Hat Trick: Hartzell, LeBlanc, Gaudreau
Winner: Winner from Quinnipiac/SCSU. I know the game doesn't matter but I can't pick one.

goldy_331
04-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Top 3: LeBlanc, Kristo, Hartzell

You're assuming the committee throws out the whole character piece?

Dirty
04-03-2013, 11:01 AM
You're assuming the committee throws out the whole character piece?

I find this argument against Kristo interesting. He supposedly had character issues before the underage drinking incident at the beginning of this season, which obviously can be pointed to as a character issue. Exactly what were the character issues before this though? Walking around without shoes or socks or whatever really happened, isn't a character issue. It's a being an idiot issue.

The other interesting thing is that the same drinking incident isn't held against Corban Knight. This all seems to be a perception issue to me. Knight is a clean cut great guy while Kristo is a schmuck who's always in trouble, even if this isn't true.

I don't expect Danny to win or even be in the final three. The fact that UND chose to promote Knight over him shows that they didn't really expect him to either.

SCSU Euro
04-03-2013, 11:04 AM
LeBlanc, Gaudreau, Hartzell. I think Knight is deserving but he and Kristo split votes. At the same time, voters often bone goalies so I think Knight could steal Hartzell's spot

goldy_331
04-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I find this argument against Kristo interesting. He supposedly had character issues before the underage drinking incident at the beginning of this season, which obviously can be pointed to as a character issue. Exactly what were the character issues before this though? Walking around without shoes or socks or whatever really happened, isn't a character issue. It's a being an idiot issue.

The other interesting things is that the same drinking incident isn't held against Corban Knight. This all seems to be a perception issue to me. Knight is a clean cut great guy while Kristo is a schmuck who's always in trouble.

I don't expect Danny to win or even be in the final three. The fact that UND chose to promote Knight over him shows that they didn't really expect him to either.

I agree, in that if Knight was also involved in providing alcohol to minors and encouraging them to drink to the point of alcohol poisoning, he also should be eliminated from consideration. I think that issue alone is quite enough to disqualify both, regardless of "being an idiot." :)

The Exiled One
04-03-2013, 11:57 AM
The other interesting thing is that the same drinking incident isn't held against Corban Knight.
The charges against Knight were dropped.

Tipsy McStagger
04-03-2013, 12:02 PM
The charges against Knight were dropped.
Then he clearly did nothing wrong.

The Exiled One
04-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Hat Trick: Hartzell, LeBlanc, Gaudreau
Winner: Winner from Quinnipiac/SCSU. I know the game doesn't matter but I can't pick one.
Nailed it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151604066118274&l=37a14c97b8

goldy_331
04-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Nailed it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151604066118274&l=37a14c97b8

Good job outa you. And a great group, I can't argue against any of these guys deserving the award.

johnnypohlfan
04-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Lest we not forget Kristo's epic, blubbering tantrum after getting booted on a 100% legit call. Shall we just ignore that part of his "character"?

Dirty
04-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Lest we not forget Kristo's epic, blubbering tantrum after getting booted on a 100% legit call. Shall we just ignore that part of his "character"?

Yes. Just because he plays for UND everything is a character issue to you I am sure. The alcohol incident definitely was, other than that I don't think there were really any character issues for him.

But he isn't in the top three and it doesn't matter.

johnnypohlfan
04-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Yes. Just because he plays for UND, everything is a character issue to you I am sure. The alcohol incident definitely was, other than that I don't think there were really any character issues for him.
I made no mention of the team he plays for. The fact that it's UND is irrelevant. He got shiitefaced drunk and stumbled around campus, in the snow, in his socks; not to mention the whole other party incident. He threw one of the most immature, tear-filled tantrums I've ever seen a player throw after getting a penalty called against him. I guess I tend to think those are all somewhat of an indication of his character. I'd say the same thing if he played for any team, including the one I cheer for.

J.D.
04-03-2013, 12:38 PM
LeBlanc is gonna win this thing

Dirty
04-03-2013, 12:41 PM
I made no mention of the team he plays for. The fact that it's UND is irrelevant. He got shiitefaced drunk and stumbled around campus, in the snow, in his socks; not to mention the whole other party incident. He threw one of the most immature, tear-filled tantrums I've ever seen a player throw after getting a penalty called against him. I guess I tend to think those are all somewhat of an indication of his character. I'd say the same thing if he played for any team, including the one I cheer for.

Where did you learn that Kristo was drunk when frostbite incident occurred? Or are you just assuming?

Tipsy McStagger
04-03-2013, 12:42 PM
LeBlanc is gonna win this thing
Yeah, I think he is going to win so they can point to the leadership and student-athlete part and say how big of a part that plays. In any other year where the top-10 aren't so close in points, I don't think he wins. Both Hartzell and Gaudreau are deserving as well.

J.D.
04-03-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't really know anything about LeBlanc, but he's a senior and doesn't play in the EZAC (just a joke...calm down)...

Can't argue with any of the three finalists though.

goldy_331
04-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Where did you learn that Kristo was drunk when frostbite incident occurred? Or are you just assuming?

Are you claiming that he was SOBER and then went out and ran around in the snow barefoot? And he is able to stay academically eligible all this time at NoDak? Doesn't say much for the academic standards there, if so. :p

duper
04-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Having not watched any of these three extensively, I won't try to argue that any one of them deserves it more than the other two. My feelings of conference solidarity, while not terribly strong, go far enough for me to hope that Leblanc gets it.

Are you claiming that he was SOBER and then went out and ran around in the snow barefoot? And he is able to stay academically eligible all this time at NoDak? Doesn't say much for the academic standards there, if so. :pAcademic standards and common sense have nothing to do with each other, as anyone who has met a handful of graduates of elite universities can tell you. :)