PDA

View Full Version : Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25]

UnionFan4Life
10-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Some more quick notes from my perspective.........thought that overall team speed was really really good , possibly faster than last year. The new goalie impressed me with his composure, I thought he had a good night

overall. I also was impressed with Lichtenwald, thought he played with a lot of confidence, as did Pontarelli and Taylor. Taylor does see the ice well and his outlet pass is on the money. Didn't notice Vecchione that

much, but I think we will soon enough. I thought the D of Henry and Taylor clicked, maybe they will be paired together , we'll see. Most noticeable players for their hustle and desire were Cruice, Gingras and IKKala.

I like this team, I think they love to play and come to play hockey, so far so good.
Well said, I agree with all your points.

Something tells me the coaches know what to expect from them, and didn't want to risk injury to them.
Good point. Novak and Roy probably sat for the freshman centers: Vech, Gonye, and Eli. Vech and Gonye had quiet games.

Wholin1
10-06-2013, 10:05 PM
I am guessing minor injuries kept the three out of the lineup last night. Roy in particular has a lot to prove after a disappointing first year and needs every opportunity to show it.

UnionFan4Life
10-06-2013, 10:07 PM
After the garnet-white, my lineup prediction for the first game:

1: Carr---Novak---Wilkins
2: Hatch---Vecchione---Sullivan
3: Ciampini---Roy---Pontarelli
4: Ikkala---Lichtenwald---Coatta

(I am tempted to swap Ciampini/Roy and Ikkala/Lichtenwald)

D1: Bodie--Gingras
D2: Gostisbehere--Vasaturo
D3: Taylor--Henry

G1: Stevens
G2: Sakellaropoulos
G3: Pieri

garnetfan
10-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Some thoughts from the first weekend of play.......Just noticed on line Colgate splits with Ferris State, rookie goalie in net first game for 7 to 4 loss, veteran Mihalik in net for 1 / 0 win in second game . D is a big question mark for Gate,
7 goals for Ferris is very high, they are built on defense/goaltending first and foremost. Still a split is a split, don't know where Ferris is in the scheme of things standings wise but thought Gate's weekend results
would be indicative of their readiness. Colgate is happily Cornwall Colts south if you check their roster. D is inexperienced for Gate and they will only lose 2 srs. this year .

garnetfan
10-07-2013, 01:27 AM
Forgot to mention that Bowling Green's next opponent after us is a 2 game weekend home stand with Colgate , this should provide a good but early feel for how the ECAC is starting out this year.

Wholin1
10-07-2013, 09:02 AM

I'd almost be willing to bet that you are further along in setting the lineups than the coaching staff. ;) I will reiterate that my expectations are relatively modest starting out the season. I think the OOC and early ECAC games will be a big adjustment and learning period for all concerned, players, coaches and even the fans. I am hoping to see the team build on and off ice chemistry while replacing a lot of key veteran departures with newcomers. By the New Year, we will hopefully be ready to make a run.

Hokydad
10-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Cruice will be playing

10-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Some thoughts from the first weekend of play.......Just noticed on line Colgate splits with Ferris State, rookie goalie in net first game for 7 to 4 loss, veteran Mihalik in net for 1 / 0 win in second game . D is a big question mark for Gate,
7 goals for Ferris is very high, they are built on defense/goaltending first and foremost. Still a split is a split, don't know where Ferris is in the scheme of things standings wise but thought Gate's weekend results
would be indicative of their readiness. Colgate is happily Cornwall Colts south if you check their roster. D is inexperienced for Gate and they will only lose 2 srs. this year .

For what its worth at this time of year the WCHA coaches picked Ferris State 2nd and they received votes in both USA and USCHO pre-season polls.

Wholin1
10-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Almost time for in season thread. Anyone going to start it?

UnionFan4Life
10-07-2013, 07:30 PM
I'd almost be willing to bet that you are further along in setting the lineups than the coaching staff. ;) I will reiterate that my expectations are relatively modest starting out the season. I think the OOC and early ECAC games will be a big adjustment and learning period for all concerned, players, coaches and even the fans. I am hoping to see the team build on and off ice chemistry while replacing a lot of key veteran departures with newcomers. By the New Year, we will hopefully be ready to make a run.
I was only certain with the 1st line lol. I'm looking forward to seeing the lineup card Friday.

Cruice will be playing.
You're right, Cruice will have Coatta's spot. I even said Cruice was impressive in the garnet-white game.

ADK11
10-08-2013, 11:31 AM
I just had to post the following from Union's roster on the web.. the smallest and largest players in my recent memory IMO would make a VERY intriguing line combo.

Michael Pontarelli Fr. F 5-7 172 Laval, QC
Eli Lichtenwald Fr. F 6-6 235 Saskatoon, SK

I won't even hazard a guess on the line combos for Friday, as I'm sure the coaches are seeing potential combos that we can't. Should be an exciting season with a lot of new faces. Someone get the season thread going cause you don't want to leave it up to me!!

Goaliefan
10-08-2013, 11:57 AM
New thread 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

Dutchman
10-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Is Steven OK? s