PDA

View Full Version : Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

rdf8585
08-10-2013, 02:53 AM
Union Assistant Sports Information Director Jeff Weinstein, whose responsibilities include men's hockey, has taken a job in the University of Michigan athletics department.

It's well-deserved, and whoever replaces him at Union will have big shoes to fill.

Dutchfan
08-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Union Assistant Sports Information Director Jeff Weinstein, whose responsibilities include men's hockey, has taken a job in the University of Michigan athletics department.

It's well-deserved, and whoever replaces him at Union will have big shoes to fill.

I'll echo that. It's sad to see Jeff move on, but talk about getting called up to the big leagues. :eek::)

rdf8585
08-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Union made official today what was known for days - Pontarelli is coming this year.

rdf8585
08-13-2013, 12:25 PM
I was able to get some first-hand accounts of Michael Pontarelli and recruit Connor Light:

http://bit.ly/147M9qU

First time doing this kind of piece, so feedback welcomed.

rdf8585
08-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Kyle Bodie signs with ECHL's Cincinnati Cyclones:

http://bit.ly/18sBA54

Wholin1
08-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Kyle Bodie signs with ECHL's Cincinnati Cyclones:

http://bit.ly/18sBA54
Good luck to Kyle as he embarks on his professional career. He made enormous strides each season at Union and if he works as hard as a pro, he could have a nice career.

rdf8585
08-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Kents Hill boys varsity hockey head coach Larry Cockrell breaks down former player, Union recruit Mark Dufour.... strengths, weaknesses, D1 projection.

http://bit.ly/14yjjPM

GameOn
08-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Great post on Dufour. Keep these going! I find it great to learn about the recruits from their former coaches!

rdf8585
08-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Great post on Dufour. Keep these going! I find it great to learn about the recruits from their former coaches!

Thanks for the nice words; it all depends on how much cooperation I get.

GameOn
08-14-2013, 09:44 PM
What's everyone's latest line projections now that pontarelli's in the mix?

UnionFan4Life
08-14-2013, 11:11 PM
What's everyone's latest line projections now that pontarelli's in the mix?

1: Carr---Pontarelli---Wilkins
2: Hatch---Novak---Sullivan
3: Ciampini---Gonye---Vecchione
4: Lichtenwald---Roy---Ikkala

D1: Bodie--Gingras
D2: Gostisbehere--Vasaturo
D3: Boyle--Taylor

G: Stevens, Sakellaropolous, Pieri

I'm rating Pontarelli very high based off of the reports I've read. I think he will play well with Carr and Wilkins on the top line. I also really liked the Hatch/Novak/Sullivan line last year, they should be a very solid, veteran line. The third line consists of two highly touted freshman with Ciampini. The fourth line consists of all big bodies that can do some damage. I really like this team and I'm leaving out some notable players such as Bennett, Coatta, and Cruice. On the defensive side, there a several freshman (Martin, Henry, and Krug) who could replace Boyle (who is on a short-leash in my book.)

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
08-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Pontarelli should be an absolute stud at the college level.

Hokydad
08-15-2013, 06:56 AM
1: Carr---Pontarelli---Wilkins
2: Hatch---Novak---Sullivan
3: Ciampini---Gonye---Vecchione
4: Lichtenwald---Roy---Ikkala

D1: Bodie--Gingras
D2: Gostisbehere--Vasaturo
D3: Boyle--Taylor

G: Stevens, Sakellaropolous, Pieri

I'm rating Pontarelli very high based off of the reports I've read. I think he will play well with Carr and Wilkins on the top line. I also really liked the Hatch/Novak/Sullivan line last year, they should be a very solid, veteran line. The third line consists of two highly touted freshman with Ciampini. The fourth line consists of all big bodies that can do some damage. I really like this team and I'm leaving out some notable players such as Bennett, Coatta, and Cruice. On the defensive side, there a several freshman (Martin, Henry, and Krug) who could replace Boyle (who is on a short-leash in my book.)

Nice try

Vech will prob be at center
Pont not ready to play with Carr, couldn't keep up with him
Cruice will play
Taylor will be next ghost but a habit more reserved

GameOn
08-15-2013, 07:53 AM
I would agree that vech is more first line ready than pontsy. He's been a consistant scorer at the USHL level and should fit in nicely with Carr and wilky. Keep in mind that RB learned the lesson of continuity last year too and is probably less likely to shuffle lines from night to night. Overall pre season projections this last week look a lot more promising than they did when Jorris decided to leave.

Hokydad
08-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Best part of this is the depth. Quality kids sitting who will be pushing the others.

ADK11
08-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Nice try

Vech will prob be at center
Pont not ready to play with Carr, couldn't keep up with him
Cruice will play
Taylor will be next ghost but a habit more reservedHas Vecchione played center? Right now Novak is the only one with center experience in the top 6. Agree that Vecch is probably more ready for the top 2 lines and would be surprised if they moved Pont to center as a frosh - he'll have plenty to adjust to as it is. My thoughts were that Novak would move to 1st line with Carr and beyond that will probably see the chess pieces moved around in the first couple months of the season to get the best combos on the top 3 lines.

Have to say I'm getting very excited for the season to start. Adding Mr. P really boosts the recruiting class, as I love the idea of him and Vecchione playing together for (hopefully) the next 4 years. And as Hokydad mentions, this class brings real depth up front and on the backend. Also agree with those that said that expectations for Pontarelli need to be kept in check, at least in the short term. I know he would say that he was training hard to go back to Cornwall, but NCAA is a whole different ballgame and the grind of playing & practicing against larger players that are at his skill level & going to a rigorous college will be a tough adjustment.

Ralph Baer
08-15-2013, 01:57 PM
RPI blog Without a Peer's annual post about Union http://www.withoutapeer.com/2013/08/know-your-enemy-union.html.

I have no connection WaP except as a reader.

GameOn
08-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Doesn't appear that the WaP piece considers Pontsy. Most likely written before his commitment. I'm 100% ok with the perception that this will be a down year or that it's not the same team that made the NCAAs. RB will have them ready. There's a ton of heart and a whole lot of talent that's hungry for those roster spots.

Ralph Baer
08-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Doesn't appear that the WaP piece considers Pontsy. Most likely written before his commitment. I'm 100% ok with the perception that this will be a down year or that it's not the same team that made the NCAAs. RB will have them ready. There's a ton of heart and a whole lot of talent that's hungry for those roster spots. Tom answered the Pontarelli question on the RPI thread.

Dutchfan
08-15-2013, 04:16 PM
I think a fair expectation for Pontarelli's point total will be somewhere between what Laliberte put up in his first year ( albeit injury riddled) and what the Spinks put up at Colgate last year. You can't realisitically expect much more than 15-25 points out of most freshmen, even those as accomplished as Pontarelli. Anything over 25 points is golden.

I think the guy who will make the biggest jump this year is Wilkins. He really turned it on in the second half of the year once he got adjusted to the faster pace of the college game.

I also expect big things out of Hatch and Novak, and if Sullivan can figure out how to get off to a hot start he could easily reach 20-25 points.