PDA

View Full Version : Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

LTsatch
04-01-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm sorry. Everytime I saw that guy on TV, I thought it was a televangelist turned hockey coach. Has that whole Swaggart thing going on.

northeastern
04-01-2013, 09:28 PM
He'd make a good TV broadcaster for the college gm .. well spoken.. & kinda knows what he's talking about.
nothing against the Barry Melroseplace Mullet show. :)

gfmorris
04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Man, I guess I should've known that this would get into sexist malarkey, but it still makes me sick.

Good luck to Gwoz. I bet every hot-seat coach is sweating today.

GFM

joecct
04-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Unlikely to get any of them you mean.

If UConn does that it'd prove they are being serious but right now based on what I know, they aren't. Gowz to UConn seems really unlikely. If I were him I'd go to the ushl, wait a couple and take another profile spot. Somebody will get fired, give it timeThe job posting -- (3/30/13) http://ahcahockey.com/pdf/jobs/20130330_uc.pdf

Chris
04-01-2013, 09:47 PM
I think part of it is that they charge too much for college hockey. They need to lower ticket prices.

I don't pay for tickets, never have and likely never will have to. However, it is ridiculous that crap seats are like $19-26 and good ones are like $35. Then parking is $10-15, beer $7 or $8...and so on. I get a $13 meal card for games, which gets me a dog or nachos plus a soda and maybe a bottled water. Stupid expensive...

northeastern
04-01-2013, 09:51 PM
The job posting -- (3/30/13) http://ahcahockey.com/pdf/jobs/20130330_uc.pdf

Well, Connecticut is the hot bed of hockey..
after all.. 2 teams from this tiny state going to the FF.. there's your proof.. room for more!.. :)

uaafanblog
04-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Haha! Awesome! Couldn't happen to a bigger d-bag!
Agreed. And probably the "real" reason.

OneTimer
04-01-2013, 10:01 PM
He'd make a good TV broadcaster for the college gm .. well spoken.. & kinda knows what he's talking about.
nothing against the Barry Melroseplace Mullet show. :)

Barry Melrose - "Steve Stamkos will never be an NHL hockey player."

mookie1995
04-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Barry Melrose - "Steve Stamkos will never an NHL hockey player."

BUUZZZZZZZ. is it "date"?

Biddco
04-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Man, I guess I should've known that this would get into sexist malarkey, but it still makes me sick.

Good luck to Gwoz. I bet every hot-seat coach is sweating today.

GFMYou sure? Maybe every AD is sweating that they will get rid of a coach before they should and anger their alum and fanbase.

northeastern
04-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Barry Melrose - "Steve Stamkos will never an NHL hockey player."

"it's an unbelievable story.. he became a hockey player by default.. goes to (Minn) Duluth.. not a major hockey school.."
Melrose on Brett Hull..
:)

On a more somber note: DU, are you guys nuts!?!

The Rube
04-01-2013, 10:28 PM
If they "couldn't agree on a contract", that pretty much means Gwozdecky felt he was worth more than what DU was willing to pay, and/or wanted another long-term contract that would take him all the way to retirement in another decade. AD is probably looking at his recent string of first-round exits and countering with a 3-4 year extension at the same or slightly higher salary + benefits.

If he coaches again, no way does he take anything but a plum job. Rumor had it for some time that his salary + benefits & incentives were worth over $500,000/yr. He's made too much money, and been too successful for too long, to sell himself short at the age of 59.

From what I know, the B/I/U part has been around for a few years. Something about the ratio of money the sport brought in/coach's salary. Gwoz wanted more. Obviously, I cannot say who I learned this from, but it was something Gwoz was NOT happy with. I think this decision was somewhat mutual, in that Gwoz said PAY ME or I want out, and DU said, "lack of success/we're not paying you what you want."

Chris
04-01-2013, 10:32 PM
"it's an unbelievable story.. he became a hockey player by default.. goes to (Minn) Duluth.. not a major hockey school.."
Melrose on Brett Hull..
:)

On a more somber note: DU, are you guys nuts!?!

Hockey-wise, and on the surface, it is incredibly stupid. However, I stated on our DU thread about 2 years ago how Gwoz had a tendency to "ruffle some feathers" and that I was amazed he stuck around this long. I have the upmost respect for the man as a coach and as a person (he was basically at my father's deathbed as he passed) but eventually his "ruffling" would haunt him.

Pigfarmer
04-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Rico back to Denver.... Miami is maxed out dollar wise, and I can see them needing to make cuts to their athletic budget longterm- the new conference will put more pressure on a small program with limited income sources. Time to leave

bigblue_dl
04-01-2013, 10:41 PM
From what I know, the B/I/U part has been around for a few years. Something about the ratio of money the sport brought in/coach's salary. Gwoz wanted more. Obviously, I cannot say who I learned this from, but it was something Gwoz was NOT happy with. I think this decision was somewhat mutual, in that Gwoz said PAY ME or I want out, and DU said, "lack of success/we're not paying you what you want."Well, if DU isn't committed to doing what it takes to win.....that doesn't sound very like-minded of them. I mean, Tech and Mankato went out and actually paid for quality coaches, but DU won't pay their coach what he deserves? I bet UND and Miami are looking to start their own breakaway conference at this point.

Chris
04-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Rico back to Denver.... Miami is maxed out dollar wise, and I can see them needing to make cuts to their athletic budget longterm- the new conference will put more pressure on a small program with limited income sources. Time to leave

He would be welcomed back. I think this would be DU's best option.

Tipsy McStagger
04-01-2013, 10:53 PM
How do you figure? Miami is Division I in football and basketball as well. How would their athletic budget be smaller than Denver's?

Stauber1
04-01-2013, 10:53 PM
From what I know, the B/I/U part has been around for a few years. Something about the ratio of money the sport brought in/coach's salary. Gwoz wanted more. Obviously, I cannot say who I learned this from, but it was something Gwoz was NOT happy with. I think this decision was somewhat mutual, in that Gwoz said PAY ME or I want out, and DU said, "lack of success/we're not paying you what you want."

That's the only situation that makes one iota of sense. No one could be so stupid as to think that Gwozdecky failed to deliver and that they could just go out and find someone better in the next few months.

And if that's how it went down, there's no way George is headed to the ECAC. Seems to me he's going to have to look at a Big10 school, dabbling in the NHL or retirement from coaching.

UMDbulldogs#1
04-01-2013, 10:55 PM
In related news, 56 Mens Division I hockey programs simultaneously announced this evening they have a coaching vacancy to fill.

Seriously though, W.T.F Denver?

fangers
04-01-2013, 10:55 PM

stick to pig farming as you obviously clueless on this topic