PDA

View Full Version : Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30

cetihcra
04-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Of course, we as the public and alumni will have no way of evaluating this, since they won't tell us what those values are.

There is no need for us to know what those values are. It's like any professional organization, those that matter will know...us that don't matter never will. Our season ticket revenue is so insignificant to the school that they don't care. What they care about is protecting their image with the people that matter. In a metro of 3 million, there will be butts in the seats...maybe not as many as previous seasons, but enough to cover their ***.

r

HarleyMC
04-09-2013, 02:08 AM
I assume DU has pulled the curtain indefinitely and will not be discussing this matter with the media. I think there is enough spin and "cloak and dagger" suspicion among the general public, fans and media in regards to the manner in which this dismissal was handled to tarnish the professional image of the DU AD and associates and that does not bode well for the DU hockey program going forward.

Where is the professionalism by the AD and others in bringing a reasonable closure to dismissing a coach who put DU back on track as a winner and has become one of the leading college hockey coaches of all time? Is it too much to ask for the AD to come forward out of professional respect for Gwoz and at the very least, commend him for what he has done for the university, the fans and college hockey as an "employee"? Of course, if they did, they might be forced to answer a question.

Old Pio
04-09-2013, 02:18 AM
I've stayed out of this primarily because my university has embarrassed itself here. And it doesn't increase my interest in posting to see that uaahole (thanks, Bunt) has been vomiting all over this thread either. Dark mutterings about "scandals" are just par for the course and down to the standard we're all familiar with (you won't catch me passing along those rumors about all the Little League games he attends). I guess if you're a fan of one of the least successful programs in DI history, schadenfreude is all you've got. This side note, he once posted that referees screw UAA intentionally. I think he's wrong. They're screwing him, personally. But I digress.

There doesn't seem to be an upside here. I guess the best DU can hope for it to find an acceptable replacement and get him installed before there are too many more defections. It would be nice if the replacement coach has as much success as Gwoz (more wouldn't hurt my feelings). And it would be nice if this firing doesn't result in several down years. It would also be nice if the replacement's players had the same academic success as Gwoz'.

During my time at DU we went to 3 Frozen Fours. We were accustomed to enormous success. My good friend, the late Frank Daly, got the only start of his career in goal in a national semi-final game against Harvard. Apart from Cornell, the Ivies didn't exactly strike terror into our hearts (DU 9 Harvard 2). Then came the Dark Period, where DU was struggling in every way possible, including on the ice. George Gwozdecky and a renewed commitment to the program changed all that. And he accomplished it with noteworthy class. Benching his second leading scorer on the eve of the '04 championship game (for reasons we still haven't learned) then inviting the player to the WH with the team and having the president mention the kid is one of the classiest things I've ever seen. In effect he told the player he paid the price for his screwup, but that didn't mean his four years of contributions were forgotten. Very nice.

Denver is a great town. And one of the advantages of being at DU is you can stay pretty much in the University Park area and have a terrific four years. Or you can take advantage of the many attractions of the city and region, and also have a great four years. For sure, DU hockey will never again be one of the top attractions in Denver (as it was in the Armstrong days). For sure, DU will never have the kind of fanatical following that other college teams have. It's just not in the cards. But it's getting better. DG and the other alums have worked like mules to get students interested and involved. And they've had some noteworthy success. And I'd hate for this episode to stall that growth in student interest. Although the powers that be at DU seem determined to have just exactly that outcome, since they've decided a tiny handful of hyper-sensitive students who wouldn't know whether you blow up a hockey puck or kick it, need to be placated with a new mascot. But that's another gripe for another day. I'm hopeful DU will still be an attractive destination for talented hockey players. There's no reason it shouldn't be, assuming this succession is handled professionally (going forward, he added quickly) and the right guy is hired.

So I'll get over my embarrassment. And DU may get over its. And DU hockey will continue, hopefully at a high level of accomplishment. But there's no denying this was a horrible decision, made for the wrong reasons and very badly handled.

A Shot and a Goal
04-09-2013, 12:10 PM
University of Denver and Don Granato (http://www.denverpost.com/du/ci_22983383/don-granato-is-possible-candidate-coach-du-pioneers).

thetruthhurts
04-09-2013, 12:47 PM
I really surprised at some of the names that keep getting thrown out there. For various reasons, you could eliminate almost all of them. The only one at this point that really "fits" is Appart:

Former DU Asst.
Experienced College Recruiter (and very good at it)
Experienced College Head Coach
Would seamlessly step in with current staff as he already has a "great" relationship with

None of the names mentioned so far can check all those boxes.

Pablo
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM
I really surprised at some of the names that keep getting thrown out there. For various reasons, you could eliminate almost all of them. The only one at this point that really "fits" is Appart:

Former DU Asst.
Experienced College Recruiter (and very good at it)
Experienced College Head Coach
Would seamlessly step in with current staff as he already has a "great" relationship with

None of the names mentioned so far can check all those boxes.
Yes, Appert would be my favorite candidate at this point. I just wonder whether he is a realistic possibility, due to his relationship with Gwozdecky. The bright side is that Gwoz didn't seem angry at DU, and Gwoz also knows what went on behind the scenes (i.e., he knows what part his own actions played in the firing). If Gwoz thinks that Appert would be a good fit at DU, that I hope that Gwoz would encourage Appert to consider the job. Maybe I'm naive for thinking that way, but Gwoz is a stand up guy so I think it's possible.

AspyDad
04-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Yes, Appert would be my favorite candidate at this point. I just wonder whether he is a realistic possibility, due to his relationship with Gwozdecky. The bright side is that Gwoz didn't seem angry at DU, and Gwoz also knows what went on behind the scenes (i.e., he knows what part his own actions played in the firing). If Gwoz thinks that Appert would be a good fit at DU, that I hope that Gwoz would encourage Appert to consider the job. Maybe I'm naive for thinking that way, but Gwoz is a stand up guy so I think it's possible.

Seth Appert is a quality person and good coach. We would miss him terribly in Troy but whatever is best for him and his family. IMHO, best recruiter in College Hockey.

Priceless
04-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Tim Whitehead is available. You guys can hire him :D

Pablo
04-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Seth Appert is a quality person and good coach. We would miss him terribly in Troy but whatever is best for him and his family. IMHO, best recruiter in College Hockey.
And I'm sure it would take an excellent offer from DU to get him to leave RPI. He already spent a good deal of time at DU, and reached the pinnacle there as an assistant. I'm guessing that he's very personally invested in building up the RPI program, and leaving a legacy there. I just hope that DU has an "even playing field" to try to land him, without too many extraneous factors involved. Maybe that's too much to ask, but I guess we'll see.

FlagDUDE08
04-09-2013, 01:47 PM
And I'm sure it would take an excellent offer from DU to get him to leave RPI. He already spent a good deal of time at DU, and reached the pinnacle there as an assistant. I'm guessing that he's very personally invested in building up the RPI program, and leaving a legacy there. I just hope that DU has an "even playing field" to try to land him, without too many extraneous factors involved. Maybe that's too much to ask, but I guess we'll see.

Depends on what you mean by an "even playing field". Remember that Appert already has a job.

Pablo
04-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Depends on what you mean by an "even playing field". Remember that Appert already has a job.
By even playing field, I just meant that I hope that any emotional factors from the firing of Gwoz wouldn't impact Appert's willingness to consider DU as a possibility. But like I said, that might be a lot to ask, depending on whether Gwoz is ****ed, what went on behind the scenes, etc. I realize that Appert's got an excellent job, and that DU would be lucky to pry him away from it.

Pablo
04-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Wonder if Maine and Denver will swap coaches? Maine would end up with the better coach out of that deal. But they would also have to pay a hefty price for Gwoz, and Whitehead would be more of a bargain for DU at this point.

UncleRay
04-09-2013, 03:49 PM
And I'm sure it would take an excellent offer from DU to get him to leave RPI. He already spent a good deal of time at DU, and reached the pinnacle there as an assistant. I'm guessing that he's very personally invested in building up the RPI program, and leaving a legacy there. I just hope that DU has an "even playing field" to try to land him, without too many extraneous factors involved. Maybe that's too much to ask, but I guess we'll see."Reached the pinnacle there as an assistant." :confused: The pinnacle is the top: head coach.

And that dumb comment about Gwoz and Whitey switching seats: Gwoz made more in base and far more in ancillaries than Maine pays Whitey (one of the highest-paid State employee), and allegedly wanted more money. Not gonna happen - neither party would pursue it. If you believe Gwoz was fired for poor performance, why would he be replace with someone with poorer performance?

Pablo
04-09-2013, 03:58 PM
"Reached the pinnacle there as an assistant." :confused: The pinnacle is the top: head coach.

And that dumb comment about Gwoz and Whitey switching seats: Gwoz made more in base and far more in ancillaries than Maine pays Whitey (the highest-paid State employee), and allegedly wanted more money. Not gonna happen - neither party would pursue it. If you believe Gwoz was fired for poor performance, why would he be replace with someone with poorer performance?
oh chill, uncle bob. angry at watching the 6-on-3 or something? That was so long ago!

BassAle
04-09-2013, 04:00 PM
"Reached the pinnacle there as an assistant." :confused: The pinnacle is the top: head coach.

And that dumb comment about Gwoz and Whitey switching seats: Gwoz made more in base and far more in ancillaries than Maine pays Whitey (the highest-paid State employee), and allegedly wanted more money. Not gonna happen - neither party would pursue it. If you believe Gwoz was fired for poor performance, why would he be replace with someone with poorer performance?

Not that it matters but Timmay is not the highest paid state employee. A handful of UMS administration folks make more, as do a couple profs (Habib Dagher, one of the engineering professors, makes over 200K), as well as a few doctors at the state mental Heath hospitals. Timmay is probably in the top 20 but not top 10 state employees (at least that was the case last time I checked, which was a few years ago)

Pablo
04-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Not that it matters but Timmay is not the highest paid state employee. A handful of UMS administration folks make more, as do a couple profs (Habib Dagher, one of the engineering professors, makes over 200K), as well as a few doctors at the state mental Heath hospitals. Timmay is probably in the top 20 but not top 10 state employees (at least that was the case last time I checked, which was a few years ago)
Uncle Bob apparently has a problem with his facts, and reading comprehension, as well.

dggoddard
04-09-2013, 04:11 PM
He got let go after 19 years, if would of completed 20 years would of received a retirement from DU of about 40- 50 % of his base wage (most are based like that). So he gets refunded what he paid into the account. But will not get the $80,000.00 to $105,000.00 per year for life if he would have completed his 20th year with DU. If you ever hold a job for that long I know you would be thrilled to be let go with a year’s severance pay instead of working for the last year and getting a pension for life. I am sure you would praise and tell everybody what a good deal you got…….a year’s pay for doing nothing but in 12 months you would thinking about that check for $6,666.00 –$8750.00 that would have been in your mailbox every month that you didn’t get. and say boy did I get a great deal ......thanks bossDU is a private university, so doubtful the pensions match what state employees get.

Never heard any talk of pensions regarding private universities, so not sure how they stack up.

Craziest sports pension story was Joe Paterno receiving $13 million from Pennsylvania including a lump sum of $10 million after he died.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/22/joe-paterno-pension-pay_n_1537398.html

FreshFish
04-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Speaking of how coaches' compensation packages are structured. This is a tangent in a way.

Geno Auriemma just signed a multi-year contract extension at UConn to coach the women's basketball team. He gets something like $450,000 in base salary and $1.15 million annually for public appearances and speaking engagements on behalf of the university. He also has bonuses for winning conference, conference tourney, advancing in NCAA tourney, things like that.

Now, UConn women have a unique situation in the US: they are very popular in CT. For about 12 years, if not longer, the CT public television station televised their games; they became so popular that SNY got into a bidding war with CPTV when the contract came up for renewal and outbid them.

AspyDad
04-09-2013, 08:12 PM
The following is from College Hockey News Twitter Page

Source: Denver to interview Seth Appert, Derek Lalonde this week ... Don Granato also potentially in mix, but he's in Russia coaching U-17s

sk8tronthepond
04-09-2013, 10:42 PM

I agree Aspy........great recruiter getting quality recruits! As a coach, his record speaks for itself.