PDA

View Full Version : Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

dggoddard
04-02-2013, 11:11 AM
So who are they targeting?Sorry, I can't share that.

All I can share is that former Chancellor Dan Ritchie is heavily involved in the process.

SteveP
04-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Gwoz to Michigan State or Penn State, he's looking for B1G money.

We're good, thanks! ;)

du78
04-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Side question, have any of the recruits signed NLIs? I did a quick google search and didn't find any official releases from DU athletics about commitments?

Butcher, Moore, Hawkinson and Van Voorhis were officially announced in December 2012. DU only announced the players who have signed NLIs. Also Nick Neville, Ray Pigozzi, Connor Chatham, Landon Smith and Tyler Pham are supposed to be joining the team next season.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=90195&SPID=10862&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=18600&ATCLID=205843017

Chris
04-02-2013, 11:24 AM
It was '94 when Maine was going through its NCAA issues.

He thought about getting out before the NCAA heat came down, but Maine re-upped his contract.

But why would DU go after a coach who just created a NCAA uproar?

I'm pretty positive it was 1990.

dggoddard
04-02-2013, 11:26 AM

I'm pretty positive it was 1990.Ok you're right. I had it backwards.

du78
04-02-2013, 11:28 AM

I'm pretty positive it was 1990.

Ok you're right. I had it backwards.

Wasn't it between Gwoz and former DUer Rich Preston when Gwoz was hired?

Chris
04-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Wasn't it between Gwoz and former DUer Rich Preston when Gwoz was hired?

Rich Preston was a finalist, that I know for sure. I think there were five interviews given with either Frank Anzalone or Jeff Jackson (possibly both) getting in plus one or two others. My dad was on both search committees in '90 and '94 and we talked extensively about them but it has also been quite a while so I don't totally remember all that we discussed. I do remember that there was a real push to hire an alum and more than a few were disappointed when one didn't get the job.

It's going to be interesting to see who is interested and who gets interviewed this time around.

It is still just so shocking that we are even having to think about this. So many major changes for next year: a new league, a new coach, possibly a whole new staff, questions on commits and current players so the roster could be different...hopefully something stays the same for next year.

Felger
04-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Just curious from a NH perspective, but how does this impact Dave Lassonde? Is he a realistic candidate for the HC post? could he be out all together if the new guy wants his own staff?

Like I said, just curious...would be a shame to see Dave not have a chair when the music stops after only being there a couple years.

uaafanblog
04-02-2013, 01:20 PM
LOL ... they are trying to poach a guy from a league that isn't the B1G or NCHC. I love irony.

bigblue_dl
04-02-2013, 01:26 PM
I have a hunch, and it is that they're going after Hastings.

(I have no actual information, like I said, just a hunch)

uaafanblog
04-02-2013, 01:29 PM

I have two non-Hastings hunches but yours is just as valid as mine.

Tipsy McStagger
04-02-2013, 01:35 PM

I know Lucia went from CC to the U of M, but besides that has a WCHA head coach ever left their team for another team within the conference?

Shirtless Guy
04-02-2013, 01:37 PM
I know Lucia went from CC to the U of M, but besides that has a WCHA head coach ever left their team for another team within the conference?Sauer from CC to Wisconsin

AspyDad
04-02-2013, 01:39 PM
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013/04/02/the-insanity-of-george-gwozdeckys-ouster-at-denver/

Must read.

bigblue_dl
04-02-2013, 01:39 PM
I know Lucia went from CC to the U of M, but besides that has a WCHA head coach ever left their team for another team within the conference?Both Denver's and Mankato's seasons are over, they're not in the same conference anymore.

Shirtless Guy
04-02-2013, 01:42 PM
I know Lucia went from CC to the U of M, but besides that has a WCHA head coach ever left their team for another team within the conference?Al Renfrew from Michigan Tech to North Dakota to Michigan in 3 years...

uaafanblog
04-02-2013, 01:45 PM
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013/04/02/the-insanity-of-george-gwozdeckys-ouster-at-denver/

Must read.

Meh. It's an alleged analysis of the situation that completely ignores Gwoz's obvious monetary demands. Not a must read at all. There's plenty of better analysis in this thread.

AspyDad
04-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Meh. It's an alleged analysis of the situation that completely ignores Gwoz's obvious monetary demands. Not a must read at all. There's plenty of better analysis in this thread.

Meh yourself. They jerked Gwoz around on his contract.

uaafanblog
04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Meh yourself. They jerked Gwoz around on his contract.

They didn't. "They" had been trying to come to terms with him for quite some time. "He" jerked them around.

duper
04-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Stauber has it about right in one of his posts above.

Gwoz was imagining himself as the GM of DU Hockey ... he was "Burkeing" it. No way he goes to some podunk gig to rebuild anything or go to Omaha. He doesn't have what that takes anyway. This is a guy who wants to have his cake and eat it too. I can't feature him as an assistant in the NHL even. He'll be all about a B1G gig. In his mind he is a big fish in a big pond kind of guy. He'd take a gig overseas head coaching somewhere perhaps before he'd stoop to anything less than a B1G job.You realize that your opinion is worthless on this issue, right Donald? All of you idiots that have nothing to say about Gwoz other than how big an a-hole he is are obviously blind and stupid when it comes to seeing what he does and what he's about. Go **** yourself, and have a nice day. :D