PDA

View Full Version : Official 2013 Minnesota State University, Mankato Offseason Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

MavHockey14
04-01-2013, 01:14 PM
24 wins this year, double the total from last year, and a school record. We'll look to improve on that next year.

Returning Scoring: (School year is current)

Pos Year GP G A Pts. PEN PIM GWG PPG
Matt Leitner F So 41 17 30 47 18 47 2 6

J.P. Lafontaine F So 41 9 26 35 7 25 1 4

Zach Lehrke F Jr 41 8 17 25 14 50 1 3

Zach Palmquist D So 41 7 18 25 10 20 0 4

Johnny McInnis F Jr 41 13 9 22 6 12 5 3

Dylan Margonari F Fr 38 10 9 19 10 20 2 1

Chase Grant F Jr 41 7 12 19 23 46 4 4

Teddy Blueger F Fr 37 6 13 19 16 40 2 1

Josh Nelson D Jr 34 5 9 14 8 16 0 4

Brett Knowles F Fr 40 5 9 14 11 33 2 0

Bryce Gervais F Fr 41 8 5 13 13 26 2 1

Max Gaede F So 41 1 10 11 4 11 1 0

Jon Jutzi D Fr 41 1 8 9 4 19 0 0

Brett Stern D So 37 2 6 8 10 20 0 0

Taylor Herndon F Fr 12 1 3 4 0 0 0 0

Nick Buchanan D Fr 24 0 1 1 2 4 0 0

Charlie Thauwald F So 1 0 0 0 2 4 0 0

Stephon Williams G Fr 35 0 0 0 2 7 0 0

J.P. Burkemper F Jr 3 0 0 0 1 2 0 0

The Mavericks return 78.7% of their scoring. The biggest loss is losing Eriah Hayes, a 20 goal scorer who had 13 on power play. If the Mavericks ca get somebody to step up and evolve, much like Hayes did this year, good things await this team next year. On paper, this team should likely be better than the squad that set a school record in wins.

This may be the best Mavericks team we've ever had here, on paper of course. This should give us a good opportunity to get into the big dance and have a chance to win the school's first NCAA tournament game. A lot of that hinges on staying healthy, as well.

The nation's #5 PP will need to fill the void left by Eriah Hayes, but he is the only player they lose from their two PP units.

Hopefully the Penalty Kill can improve a little bit, as it was just a bit better than 83% this year.

MavHockey14
04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Also, a question to ponder: Will this team have the highest expectations in program history? I'd tend to think so.

purpleinnebraska
04-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Also, a question to ponder: Will this team have the highest expectations in program history? I'd tend to think so.

I think expectations should be high, but I have concerns about the D-corp. Palmquist may have to log a lot of minutes next year. Also, I think Williams will be strong again, but if he falters a little, what's the backup plan?

MavHockey14
04-01-2013, 07:10 PM
I think expectations should be high, but I have concerns about the D-corp. Palmquist may have to log a lot of minutes next year. Also, I think Williams will be strong again, but if he falters a little, what's the backup plan?

Cole Huggins, playing in the BCHL, or Karambelas as the back up goaltender.

I expect Nelson to be good again next year, as well as improvement from Jutzi. Palmquist is solid. Buchananan needs to have a really good offseason, as does Stern. So that leaves you 1 defenseman that needs to step up and play 10-15 minutes a game. Remember that Matt Knoll, who played in 25 games as a freshman, and had to use a medical redshirt this year, and will be in the mix, as well as three freshman.

MavHockey14
04-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Nothing to report, but Hastings name has surfaced some as a candidate for the Denver job.

MavHockey14
04-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Nothing to report, but Hastings name has surfaced some as a candidate for the Denver job.

My brief thoughts on it...

I think Mike's job is a little underrated right now. Especially if we get the facilities bond from the state. He's got a chance to establish a program among the top of the conference year in and year out, being a contender for the NCAAs frequently.

Mike loves Mankato, and his damily is finally settled here, and they love it as well. I feel like it would take a lot of money to hire him, and with a 225k base already in Mankato, I'm not sure home much DU would be interested in that.

tunahead08
04-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Eriah Hayes has signed a contract with the San Jose Sharks, according to TSN's Bob McKenzie. The deal is reportedly a two-way, two-year deal, and because Hayes turns 25 in July, it is not an entry-level deal.

Bale
04-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm marking this so I don't miss it every time.:)

Bale
04-05-2013, 02:09 PM
I know this is a little ahead of things here, but thoughts on captains?

I tend to think Leitner will take after Elbrecht in being a captain as a junior (you could just see his leadership on the ice as the year went on). No idea on the A's, but probably someone like McInnis and Palmquist.

As difficult as it may be to make up for losing Hayes, I still think losing Elbrecht will be even more difficult. Elbrecht took charge on the ice and, while not that offensively talented, provided a calming effect on the team. He didn't get much/any glory, but there is a reason he was a 2 year captain.

MavsFan
04-05-2013, 02:48 PM
...I still think losing Elbrecht will be even more difficult. Elbrecht took charge on the ice and, while not that offensively talented, provided a calming effect on the team. He didn't get much/any glory, but there is a reason he was a 2 year captain.Yep, a good team needs a solid, stay-at-home defenseman to anchor the blueline, and that was Elbrecht.

MavHockey14
04-05-2013, 11:13 PM
I know this is a little ahead of things here, but thoughts on captains?

I tend to think Leitner will take after Elbrecht in being a captain as a junior (you could just see his leadership on the ice as the year went on). No idea on the A's, but probably someone like McInnis and Palmquist.

As difficult as it may be to make up for losing Hayes, I still think losing Elbrecht will be even more difficult. Elbrecht took charge on the ice and, while not that offensively talented, provided a calming effect on the team. He didn't get much/any glory, but there is a reason he was a 2 year captain.

Leitner isn't exactly the brightest guy on the team though..

What about Nelson?

purpleinnebraska
04-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Yep, a good team needs a solid, stay-at-home defenseman to anchor the blueline, and that was Elbrecht.

What's the word on how much ice time Blake Thompson, the Gopher transfer, might get? He's a big, stay-at-home guy also, although I still like Jutzi for filling the Elbrecht role.

MavHockey14
04-06-2013, 09:12 PM
What's the word on how much ice time Blake Thompson, the Gopher transfer, might get? He's a big, stay-at-home guy also, although I still like Jutzi for filling the Elbrecht role.

I totally spaced that out.

Bale
04-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Leitner isn't exactly the brightest guy on the team though..

What about Nelson?

I'm not qualified to comment on anyone's intelligence since I don't know these guys. From my perspective I'm more interested in the leadership qualities of guys for the captainship. Both my wife and I saw Leitner moving guys around and directing them as the year wound down. It was interesting to watch him and the way he guided his teammates.

As for Nelson, I think he would be pretty good as well. Again, I don't know much about him, but I think he could fill in well.

Bale
04-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know much about Blake Thompson other than the fact he transferred?

Jutzi is going to be pretty good. It seemed to me that it took him a while to adjust to the speed early in the year as he got beat pretty bad a few times. I think he's got potential to be that staunch defenseman though.

MavHockey14
04-08-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm not qualified to comment on anyone's intelligence since I don't know these guys. From my perspective I'm more interested in the leadership qualities of guys for the captainship. Both my wife and I saw Leitner moving guys around and directing them as the year wound down. It was interesting to watch him and the way he guided his teammates.

As for Nelson, I think he would be pretty good as well. Again, I don't know much about him, but I think he could fill in well.
That's just my two cents..

From what I know of Thompson, he's a big defensive defenseman. In 170 USHL seasons, three years, he had 303 penalty minutes, 8 goals, and 24 assists.

In one season with the Gophers, he played in 5 games and had 2 assists and 25 penalty minutes.

Hope Hastings can keep him out of the box...

MavsFan19
04-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Hastings must feel pretty confident next year on this teams ability to score, D-heavy on the recruits but from what I have read he has gotten some good talent coming in. I especially like Carter Foguth. Its nice to have some size the Dcorps too.

Anyone planning on any away trips to visit on new WCHA foes. I know right now we are looking at Bowling Green. A pretty convient train trip there, however lengthy.

MavHockey14
04-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Hastings must feel pretty confident next year on this teams ability to score, D-heavy on the recruits but from what I have read he has gotten some good talent coming in. I especially like Carter Foguth. Its nice to have some size the Dcorps too.

Anyone planning on any away trips to visit on new WCHA foes. I know right now we are looking at Bowling Green. A pretty convient train trip there, however lengthy.

Yeah, and from all reports I have heard, Toledo sucks.

Not sure where I'd make the road trip to, really.

Bale
04-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Yeah, and from all reports I have heard, Toledo sucks.

Not sure where I'd make the road trip to, really.

I would assume that we will make the trip to Mariucci as well as the Minnesota Cup. Other than that? Probably not much.

purpleinnebraska
04-22-2013, 11:20 PM
I would assume that we will make the trip to Mariucci as well as the Minnesota Cup. Other than that? Probably not much.

Huntsville in mid-December? After this winter (still not over) I only travel south.