US U18 Women's National Team 2013-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US U18 Women's National Team 2013-2014

Curious to see what people think about the 2013-2014 U18 team and who possible players might be.

Any ideas?

Re: US U18 Women's National Team 2013-2014

Well, it likely will have eligible players from this year's team and come late July we will know the rest.

Comment

Is USA Hockey a little later this year in naming the Coach? Seems like they are usually announced in February.

Comment

The U-18 team members that still are eligible for the 2013-2014 team include on defense: Rolfes, Baldwin, and Dunne--all 3 very strong in both ends of the ice. And forwards: Laing, Kent, Rodgers, Cianfarano, Wellhausen, and Zarzecki. These last 3 played together as a line for most of the tournament and put up some very good offensive numbers. Zarzecki -7 points, Wellhausen -6 points and Cianfarano -6 points. All in all this entire group is a great core to build around for the next U-18 World Championships--whoever the coach may be!!
        Originally posted by Hux View Post
        Well, it likely will have eligible players from this year's team and come late July we will know the rest.

Comment

So looks like they'll need around 4 defensemen...7 forwards and 2 goalies? Looks like there are some big slots to fill!

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
            The U-18 team members that still are eligible for the 2013-2014 team include on defense: Rolfes, Baldwin, and Dunne--all 3 very strong in both ends of the ice. And forwards: Laing, Kent, Rodgers, Cianfarano, Wellhausen, and Zarzecki. These last 3 played together as a line for most of the tournament and put up some very good offensive numbers. Zarzecki -7 points, Wellhausen -6 points and Cianfarano -6 points. All in all this entire group is a great core to build around for the next U-18 World Championships--whoever the coach may be!!
            Don't assume they will all be back. At least 2 of the eligible D from the 2012 team didn't make the 2013 team and I believe 2 of the forwards as well. Politics, who the coach is, and performance matters. For instance, Rachlin (D) had committed to Harvard (I have heard over Princeton) after the 2012 team - not too suprisingly, the 2013 coach (from Princeton) decided not to select her. It's possible she didn't earn a slot, but the coincidence is noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by kinger89 View Post
              So looks like they'll need around 4 defensemen...7 forwards and 2 goalies? Looks like there are some big slots to fill!
              I think you will find over the years the vast majority of the National U-18 squad are seniors, to a big turnover is the norm rather than the exception.

Comment

I was in San Jose for the National Tournament and tried to watch most of the games at the U-19 level. Wellhausen, Zarzecki, Rolfes, Lang, and Kent all had huge impacts on their respective teams. Wellhausen was the co-scoring leader in the tournament and had 2 game winning goals, Lang and Kent were instrumental in helping Assabet win the championship, Zarzecki's scoring led the Mission to the silver and Rolfes was stellar on defense for Shattuck in the teams 3rd place finish. I have no idea who the next USA U-18 coach will be, but these girls definitely stand out as the building blocks for next years World Championships Tournament team.
                Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                Don't assume they will all be back. At least 2 of the eligible D from the 2012 team didn't make the 2013 team and I believe 2 of the forwards as well. Politics, who the coach is, and performance matters. For instance, Rachlin (D) had committed to Harvard (I have heard over Princeton) after the 2012 team - not too suprisingly, the 2013 coach (from Princeton) decided not to select her. It's possible she didn't earn a slot, but the coincidence is noticeable.

Comment

Any news on who the coaches will be yet?

Comment

I have been there and done that “All The player development camps, U18 Select & National Team camps & play.
                    What you really need to know is that “for the most part” by the time players get to the 14/15 & 16/17 PDC’s, the core “Approx 22 players” are already know and the rest of the attendees are there to create situations to see how/if the selected and tracked players are progressing. I found all this out in a weird sort of way. After being selected to the all star team at the 16/17 camp and winning that game one of the players came up to me and said “we’ll have to do this at the world’s? I thought well that’s pretty brazen to think you will be even going “Since USA had not even announced the U18 select team let alone the U18 National team! As things turned out she was right! I inquired around and was informed that she and 5 or 6 of the girls knew that were going at the time of the previous worlds because they were told?. As I pondered what I had heard I remembered back and at my exit interviews of the past 3 PDC’s I had been reviewed “every time” by a high ranking USAH official and a former or current Olympian who said “you are being considered for national team play, keep up the good work” I thought everyone was being considered? But I do remember asking around about how their interviews went and maybe 1 or 2 players were told something similar. I never said anything to them about my review. Still I went off to Lake Placid, played and ended up being selected to the National Team. Everything I was told turned out just like she said including the other players she had mentioned.
                    What’s important to know is that talent is only 1 thing that they are looking at, how well do you get along with others “will you need to be babysat” and are your parents going to be a problem are equally important if not more so!
                    Last but not least, it is possible to break in but requires a significant effort! You need to be ready when your number is called because you never know who is watching!!

Comment

So you're saying in order to make the U18 National Team you would of been told in the previous years camps (15's and 16's)?

If so, what if a player significantly improves between these times?

Comment

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/online...ls-hockey.html
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

So you're saying in order to make the U18 National Team you would of been told in the previous years camps (15's and 16's)?

If so, what if a player significantly improves between these times?
                          I'm not saying that, I 'm telling you what I've observed and my experience. Like I said you can make it, but it is difficult you need to set yourself apart! Sometimes being a big fish in a big pond isn't good! I was fortunate, I played both sides of the fence, gaining experience on softer teams and winning titles on others. The name of the game is you never know who is watching and where it is going.

Having said that, Good Luck and enjoy the sport!

Comment

Any news on who the coaches will be yet?
                            2013-14 U18
                            HC: Jeff Kampersal
                            AC: Courtney Kennedy
                            AC: Katie Lachapelle

http://www.usahockey.com/TeamUSA/Wom...rsalCoach.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                              2013-14 U18
                              HC: Jeff Kampersal
                              AC: Courtney Kennedy
                              AC: Katie Lachapelle

http://www.usahockey.com/TeamUSA/Wom...rsalCoach.aspx
                              Interesting - first time they've had a repeat as coach. Don't know if that is a good or a bad thing.....

Comment

Working...
                              X