PDA

View Full Version : Change NCAA's to a Pool Style Tourney

Pages : [1] 2 3

Art VanDelay
03-30-2013, 09:09 PM
If this weekends' results don't scream for the NCAA Tourney to change to a Pool Style tourney, I don't know what does.

The Olympics don't do "one-and-done" until late into the tourney.

NCAA Baseball is the same.

NHL plays a series to determine the champ.

Too much riding on this to determine the champ based on a bad ref call, or a bad bounce off the boards.

Yes, my team lost.

joecct
03-30-2013, 09:13 PM
If this weekends' results don't scream for the NCAA Tourney to change to a Pool Style tourney, I don't know what does.

Too much riding on this to determine the champ based on a bad ref call, or a bad bounce off the boards.

Yes, my team lost.Baseball does a double elimination -- the only NCAA sport where a loss does not remove you from the tournament.

There was talk of going to a 2/3 on-campus first round, with a super regional one and done to get to the frozen four, but it was voted down.

billmich88888
03-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Softball as well

Everything else is single elimination

ATelly33
03-30-2013, 09:31 PM
There was talk of going to a 2/3 on-campus first round, with a super regional one and done to get to the frozen four, but it was voted down.
That would be the nuts, IMO.

They need to do something to maximize attendance and produce some kind of atmosphere at these games. I mean 2,200 people at the west regional, what a joke. We have regular season high school games around here that draw better than that.

8 teams and their fans at one site in a traditional hockey city/venue seems like a pretty logical way to insure good numbers.

It would also give the higher seeds a little better advantage than earning the right to travel across the country and play a team in their backyard.

matt
03-30-2013, 09:35 PM

Yes, my team lost.

Can we say, "sour grapes"?

Forget it.

duper
03-30-2013, 09:47 PM
This weekend's results are exactly what is so great about a single elimination tournament. My team lost, too, but this tournament is the ****. Anyone who doesn't think this tournament is entertaining is nuts.

Terrier520
03-30-2013, 09:49 PM
This tournament also needs more Michigan.

MinnesotaNorthStar
03-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Can we say, "sour grapes"?

Forget it.That's what it sounds like to me too...

chickod
03-30-2013, 10:20 PM
That's what it sounds like to me too...

Well, actually, if he is being sincere then I can somewhat understand the point. Hockey is probably the one sport where the "better" team doesn't win the highest percentage of the time, simply because of the nature of the game. On the other hand, that's one of the things that makes it so exciting, because every score is magnified since there are relatively so few (especially when Lowell is playing :D). But, realistically, how are you going to manage the logistics? You can't get people to go to ONE game, how are you going to get them to stay in a location (and spend multiple nights and mucho $ on a hotel) for an extended period? When all is said and done, this isn't the World Series and it's not the NBA Finals. Leave it single-elimination. I WOULD be in favor of going back to a "super-regional" (two locations, six teams at each), but that has already been discussed on the "attendance" thread.

Priceless
03-30-2013, 10:57 PM
It would be kinda hard to skate in a pool but we can try it.

matt
03-30-2013, 11:14 PM
It would be kinda hard to skate in a pool but we can try it.

We have a winner!!!

TonyTheTiger20
03-30-2013, 11:30 PM
This weekend's results are exactly what is so great about a single elimination tournament. My team lost, too, but this tournament is the ****. Anyone who doesn't think this tournament is entertaining is nuts.I second this.

Rabid Gopher
03-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Maybe they need to go back to the 2 games, total goals format. Not!

French Rage
03-31-2013, 02:17 AM

Rule 1: Michigan should have access to a time machine.
Rule 2: Whenever Michigan isn't around, all the other teams should stand around asking "Where's Michigan?".

Ralph Baer
03-31-2013, 04:52 AM
Rule 2: Whenever Michigan isn't around, all the other teams should stand around asking "Where's Michigan?". Isn't that what their B1G buddies did on Friday? ;)

burd
03-31-2013, 05:26 AM
This weekend's results are exactly what is so great about a single elimination tournament. My team lost, too, but this tournament is the ****. Anyone who doesn't think this tournament is entertaining is nuts.

Duper nailed it. It is very cool that we will have a first-time winner this year. I think it's exciting and would love to be there, especially to enjoy the fans whose schools are in the hunt this year.

Terrier520
03-31-2013, 05:59 AM
Rule 2: Whenever Michigan isn't around, all the other teams should stand around asking "Where's Michigan?".

Michigan wouldn't lose to a 4 seed as a 1 seed. Oh, wait...

DisplacedCornellian
03-31-2013, 06:58 AM
Current system has a clear eastern bias. Or something. All I hear is waaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

West Texas Wolverine
03-31-2013, 07:27 AM

My sentiments exactly.

Michigan wouldn't lose to a 4 seed as a 1 seed. Oh, wait...
Rule 3: If Michigan loses to Cornell in the 1st round it invalidates the entire regional result. That's why the 2012 tournament should be stricken from the record. (My appeal is ongoing at the NCAA.)

Terrier520
03-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Rule 3: If Michigan loses to Cornell in the 1st round it invalidates the entire regional result. That's why the 2012 tournament should be stricken from the record. (My appeal is ongoing at the NCAA.)

Air Force.