PDA

View Full Version : Attendance at Regionals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

MGoBlueHockey
03-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Like I said before, everything but the Frozen Four should be hosted by 1 seeds. Complete waste of money going to neutral arenas making all fans of the 4 teams travel.

See: 2011 NCAA West Regional in St. Louis. Featuring 1 BC, 2 Michigan, 3 UNO and 4 CC. Yeah, real advantage for that 1 seed. 17 hours away from Chestnut Hill.

Dominated by Michigan fans. But that's only because of the St. Louis alumni.

chickod
03-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Like I said before, everything but the Frozen Four should be hosted by 1 seeds.

Well, I think that's more the case in the West. As has been discussed, due to the population density in the East you will always have better crowds because EVERY venue is in easy proximity of SEVERAL schools. Yeah, there's the occasional "off year" where you get a strange combination, but for the most part it's true. In the West, the only time you get big crowds is if 1) One of the schools is essentially home and 2) If that school happens to be one of the big state schools. Otherwise, you get something like Grand Rapids this year or that scenario you spoke of in St. Louis.

But most of all, I wish people would just ACCEPT that college hockey is a regional, niche sport and stop trying to force it upon areas of the country that couldn't care less about it. If you're going to play at "neutral" venues, go to places where they love college hockey!!

Jesus of Suburbia
03-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Well, I think that's more the case in the West. As has been discussed, due to the population density in the East you will always have better crowds because EVERY venue is in easy proximity of SEVERAL schools. Yeah, there's the occasional "off year" where you get a strange combination, but for the most part it's true. In the West, the only time you get big crowds is if 1) One of the schools is essentially home and 2) If that school happens to be one of the big state schools. Otherwise, you get something like Grand Rapids this year or that scenario you spoke of in St. Louis.

But most of all, I wish people would just ACCEPT that college hockey is a regional, niche sport and stop trying to force it upon areas of the country that couldn't care less about it. If you're going to play at "neutral" venues, go to places where they love college hockey!!
Agreed until hockey grows try to keep in areas were college hockey is popular.

mu2010
03-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Disappointed in the attendance in Toledo overall. I expected more from the Notre Dame fan base.

On the other hand I thought Miami was very well represented in the second game.

J.D.
Just teasing. You've gotta admit that when BC wins, the bandwagon is bursting at the seams. When they lose? Eh.

Are you talking about on here? A lot of people go silent when their team loses.

Hockeyplayer, didn't see the number till after I posted. Good showing by the fans in providence tonight.

MichFan
What is the attendance for the CCHA tournament.

This year, pathetic. It hasn't always been that way. Either way, it's beside the point. I wouldn't try to compare the CCHA tournament to the Final Five, which clearly has better average attendance over the years.

My point is simply that the regionals are different creatures than the Frozen Four or Final Five. I don't see a large contingent of fans from either the CCHA or WCHA traveling to regionals. Short notice + long distances = bad attendance.

Jesus of Suburbia
03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
This year, pathetic. It hasn't always been that way. Either way, it's beside the point. I wouldn't try to compare the CCHA tournament to the Final Five, which clearly has better average attendance over the years.

My point is simply that the regionals are different creatures than the Frozen Four or Final Five. I don't see a large contingent of fans from either the CCHA or WCHA traveling to regionals. Short notice + long distances = bad attendance.
It is hard to make plans to travel and by plane tickets with less then a week notice and get a hotel room. Michigan was in the west region would have been more sold out. How far is Ann Arbor from Grand Rapids?

scoreboard
03-30-2013, 10:43 PM
So, the total attendance for all the regionals is about the same as one Final Five game. Huh. ;)

Interesting you are comparing the Final Five to the regionals. The WCHA had 6 of their teams in the tourney . Where were the fans at the regionals? Did they have a premonition about how their team would perform this weekend and stay home?

kdiff77
03-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Are you talking about on here? A lot of people go silent when their team loses.

Hockeyplayer, didn't see the number till after I posted. Good showing by the fans in providence tonight.

I'm talking about seeing a whole lot of people around wearing BC clothing left and right when they win, and a whole lot of people not wearing BC stuff when they don't.

You know what? Forget it. It was a joke, and you took it way too literally.

The Rube
03-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Interesting you are comparing the Final Five to the regionals. The WCHA had 6 of their teams in the tourney . Where were the fans at the regionals? Did they have a premonition about how their team would perform this weekend and stay home?

It's called a long arse trip, especially when the F5 is THE tourney to spend money, and then many go to the F4. Regionals are an afterthought, due to costs overall. The F5 and F4 are events. The regionals? A bonus.

kdiff77
03-30-2013, 11:50 PM
It's called a long arse trip, especially when the F5 is THE tourney to spend money, and then many go to the F4. Regionals are an afterthought, due to costs overall. The F5 and F4 are events. The regionals? A bonus.

It's cool to have in your city, though! Had a lot of fun as a neutral in Providence today.

thebrain
03-30-2013, 11:51 PM

Probably saving their money as most places you'd have to fly to. I see Grand Rapids had 1988 today, could have played it at the John Glas Fieldhouse in Bemidji with room to spare...

Maybe they shouldn't place "West" regionals in eastern time zones. Maybe they should have it in Minnesota, Colorado, or Wisconsin where the WCHA teams' fans could travel to easier.

thebrain
03-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Source?

A bunch of drunken frat boys.

J.D.
03-31-2013, 12:14 AM
I'm talking about seeing a whole lot of people around wearing BC clothing left and right when they win, and a whole lot of people not wearing BC stuff when they don't.

You know what? Forget it. It was a joke, and you took it way too literally.

Ya, I just don't agree with your assessment. That's all.

Priceless
03-31-2013, 12:52 PM
Are the attendance figures tickets sold or actual tickets used? The attendance numbers from Providence are going to be interesting today...

davyd83
03-31-2013, 01:21 PM
Why not make the week immediately following the conference tourneys the off week? That would give fans more time to make arrangements to travel. And everyone already knows when and where the Frozen Four is.

J.D.
03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Priceless, both quinnipiac and union were very well represented yesterday FWIW

Jesus of Suburbia
03-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Any ideas were the 2015 regional will be? NCAA should announce that this summer but are there any rumors at the moment.

Jesus of Suburbia
03-31-2013, 01:35 PM
NCAA should not have the Midwest and the West regional less than 3 hours away. That would be like The Midwest in Green Bay and West in Madison.

HockeyMan2000
03-31-2013, 01:49 PM
Are the attendance figures tickets sold or actual tickets used? The attendance numbers from Providence are going to be interesting today...

Will be interesting to see how many Quinnipiac fans and students travel. The numbers might be pretty good if that happens. I wouldn't expect much walk-up business on the other hand.