Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance at Regionals

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    I think Portland would have a better chance at success than Bangor. Closer to the cluster of Hockey East schools and a "cooler" town for those who did want to stay overnight. I'd be all for Portland.
    I think that both locations would sellout. No doubt Portland would have the better "cool" factor with more things to do outside of the arena. Both places would certainly match the Dunkin Donuts Center (Providence) attendance of 6K and 5K this year.

Comment

Portland would draw well from Mass, Bangor wouldn't. If Maine was in either Bangor or Portland, guarantee sold out. Does Bangor's new arena even have ice? I thought they said it wasn't worth the extra money? I know its going to be a nice place but I haven't heard any mention of ice since planning stages
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Does Bangor's new arena even have ice? I thought they said it wasn't worth the extra money? I know its going to be a nice place but I haven't heard any mention of ice since planning stages
        You just hate Maine! They don't need ice to play hockey! You're afraid a Bangor regional would be a success!

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
          I'm from Albion, Maine, dummy.
          Oh, I didn't realize you still lived in Albion. Your location says you're in San Diego. You should update it.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Oh, I didn't realize you still lived in Albion. Your location says you're in San Diego. You should update it.
            I also live in MA right now. I tried to update but it won't let me change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              You just hate Maine! They don't need ice to play hockey! You're afraid a Bangor regional would be a success!
              No doubt that capacity (5.5K) and no in-house ice making capability make Bangor a non-starter. That doesn't mean it couldn't have been a successful NCAA regional location though. This whole "Maine doesn't have the population or interest" to sell 6K tickets to an NCAA regional is just plain silly.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                Does Bangor's new arena even have ice? I thought they said it wasn't worth the extra money?
                Well that would put a damper on the whole Bangor idea.

If they are doing reno's to Portland that would be a good one to get in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  Well that would put a damper on the whole Bangor idea.
                  Use your imagination. Roller hockey on a basketball court. Guaranteed sellout!

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                    With the arenas usually within a couple of hours of each other in the east, should they consider doing one sight on Friday, one sight on Saturday and then have both finals at the Saturday sight on Sunday?
                    But that would mess up the "package" ticket sales. If you buy a two-day package, it's for two days at the SAME sight. You can't take one of the finals out and move it to the other sight. ??? I think that's what you're saying, right?

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      100% agreed.
                      100% agreed with your 100% agreement.

We can argue again if you try to put the Minneapolis regional at Mariucci.

And do you realize that if the St. Paul regional is at the Xcel Center, there would probably be a lot of empty seats, with only the lower bowl open?

Comment

Population has nothing to do with it.
                        How can population have "nothing to do with it?" The reason why you get good attendance in Manchester, Providence and Worcester is because there is a LARGE POPULATION within an hour of these locations. There is not a LARGE POPULATION within an hour of Bangor. Unless the percentage of "Maine" hockey fans is three times higher than anywhere else in the country. So what you're saying is, say, 40% of the population in Penobscot County (population: 153,786) will go to the games, whereas only 1% of the population in Eastern Massachusetts (population: about 4,000,000), Southern New Hampshire (population: around 800,000) and Rhode Island (population: 1,050,292) will go to the games down there (the percentages are hypothetical - you get the point).

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                          the current arena is a crap hole, worse than the crap hole
                          The city or the arena?

Comment

But that would mess up the "package" ticket sales. If you buy a two-day package, it's for two days at the SAME sight. You can't take one of the finals out and move it to the other sight. ??? I think that's what you're saying, right?
                            That's what I am saying and it will only mess it up for one sight. The other sight could still sell 2 day packages but they shouldn't make that manditory until the day before the games anyways!

Comment

The city or the arena?
                              Yes

Comment

No doubt that capacity (5.5K) and no in-house ice making capability make Bangor a non-starter. That doesn't mean it couldn't have been a successful NCAA regional location though. This whole "Maine doesn't have the population or interest" to sell 6K tickets to an NCAA regional is just plain silly.
                                Uhhh... YES IT DOES! It's too small, it's 4 hours away from the nearest other D1 hockey team and it has NO ICE!! Maine only sells 4100 tickets to it's own games, you think those people are going to spend 3 or 4 times the money to watch teams from out of state play? I have no axe to grind against you or Maine but watching you make a fool of yourself is getting painful! Please. Stop.

Comment

Working...
                                X