Things to do in Providence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do in Providence

If you are coming to Providence and you have been here before, you know that Providence shows the NCAA a good time for hockey. The following was in the Brown Thread so I thought I would copy it here.

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    The Marriott Courtyard is in the same plaza as Ri Ra; perhaps you should look into that. I don't know what their rates are like, but it's just two blocks from the Dunk and is essentially in the middle of downtown. The Hilton is a little further away from that area. I don't know what your budget is like, but the Westin is connected to the Dunk via the RI Convention Center, and the Biltmore is just a couple blocks away. Those are two of the more expensive places in the area.

I'm not sure what it'll be like this weekend, but before PC basketball games, every bar in the downtown area is PACKED and it's really fun. I'd recommend Trinity Brewhouse or the Union Station Brewery as good places to go for really good food. Bar Louie, right next to Ri Ra, is also great, but the service can be a little slow. These places are all incredibly crowded on Friars' gameday, but they should be considerably less so for this weekend, as the teams all play at different times.

If you have some down time, head up College Hill and check out Brown's campus! It's beautiful, and there are some good hole-in-the-wall eateries on Thayer Street if you're looking for a quick bite to eat. Loui's Family Restaurant on Brook Street is where all the Brown students go for breakfast food if that interests you. It's one of the best diners in the area, but it closes at 3:00 p.m.

Have fun! We'll be pulling for you guys.
    Blake's Tavern and Murphy's are good as well. The Providence Place Mall is actually connected to the Dunk by a covered walk way. (Avoid the parking garage of this mall. I swear they were on crack when the designed it.) Our beaches are about 30-45 minutes away.

The Providence Journal has a special section today with lots of ads for food and some stories if past NCAA events held here. Enjoy!
    Providence College
    National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Re: Things to do in Providence

Originally posted by Netman View Post

Blake's Tavern and Murphy's are good as well. The Providence Place Mall is actually connected to the Dunk by a covered walk way. (Avoid the parking garage of this mall. I swear they were on crack when the designed it.) Our beaches are about 30-45 minutes away.
    If you want to park for free, park at the State House in the lot that says it's for senators and representatives only. They never check on nights or weekends, and it's a short walking distance from downtown. I've never paid to park in Providence in my life, and the State House parking lot is why.

Comment

Originally posted by Netman View Post
      The Providence Place Mall is actually connected to the Dunk by a covered walk way.
      Wish I had known this a few weeks ago, went to the mall and paid for parking, then drove over to the Dunk for the PBruins-Monarchs game and dropped $15 for parking there - then had to take off after one period to catch UNH-PC game 3...
      "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
      Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
      NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
      EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
      AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
      1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

This may get me laughed off the board, but if you observe Easter and would like to attend services near the hotels downtown, I would recommend:

1) Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul, the home parish for the Diocese of Providence (Roman Catholic). The cathedral itself is gorgeous inside, and its Gregorian Choir is topnotch. They have Sunday Easter masses at 10 am and 1 pm. A few blocks' walk from most hotels in the center city.

2) Grace Episcopal Church is also lovely and is located smack in the middle of downtown. Easter Sunday service is at 10 am.

3) If you're a lower-Protestant type, try the historic Beneficent Congregational Church ("Round Top Church") on Weybosset St. Easter service at 10 am.

4) Another very liberal Protestant choice near the Dunk and hotels is Mathewson Street United Methodist Church. Easter service 10:15 am.

5) We also have a Christian-aligned Unitarian Universalist Church downtown on Washington St., 10:30 am; and a less-Christian First Unitarian Church on Benefit St. near the Brown campus, 10:30 am. (This Sunday's topic is: "On the Cycles of Life and Death and the Eternal Return of Love: A Multigenerational Easter Meditation".)

- Darth "the Jedi are a religious order" Bruno

Comment

Go to Federal Hill for Italian food. Tons of places to eat.
          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

What's the best plan to kill a few hours on Sunday after checking out from the hotel (though I may do late checkout)? First question, where to park? Cruise the mall? Eat/get drunk?
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
              What's the best plan to kill a few hours on Sunday after checking out from the hotel (though I may do late checkout)? First question, where to park? Cruise the mall? Eat/get drunk?
              Try the Foxy Lady.
              Originally posted by mookie1995
              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                Try the Foxy Lady.
                nah.
                head up 95 to exit 30 and visit Far East (just west of where the 95 overpass is)
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  nah.
                  head up 95 to exit 30 and visit Far East (just west of where the 95 overpass is)
                  Happy endings guaranteed?
                  Originally posted by mookie1995
                  bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                  Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                  Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

There is no shortage of things to do in Providence.

If you enjoy art, check out the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) Museum at 224 Benefit Street, Providence. Many paintings of the masters and always great exhibits. www.risdmuseum.org

If you enjoy history take a walk through the neighborhoods of the East Side of Providence. Benefit Street has many revolutionary era homes and throughout the neighborhoods are the historic homes of the sea captains and business owners of the 1700s and early 1800s. Check out Prospect Terrace at Congdon and Carpenter Street. It is a park that honors Roger Williams, founder of Rhode Island and has a great view of Providence. KDiff mentioned walking around the Brown campus. It is a great stroll.

You can stroll the Providence Place Mall and find stores you can find anywhere or you can make your way to Thayer Street and find lots of interesting shops there. Brown's Meehan Auditorium is on Hope Street at the beginning of Thayer.

Speaking of Hope Street, Tortilla Flats is good for Mexican Food.

Providence has a lovely Riverwalk that starts at Waterplace Park near the mall and runs on either side of the Providence River to the World War II memorial park.

If you have little ones the Providence Children's Museum is a fun stop. You might meet Profromdover with his grandson there. It's at 100 South Street.

I'm not sure if the Bank of American Skating Center will be open, but it is a fun outdoor skating rink across from the Biltmore Hotel.

Restaurants - there is no shortage of great restaurants throughout downtown Providence, on Federal Hill and on the East Side. If you get tired of pub food, treat yourself. I enjoy lunch at Hemenways on South Main Street. It has a seafood based menu, with raw bar and overlooks the river. Being Easter Sunday, you might run into the need for reservations and special menus that day. We enjoy Local 121 for meals with locally sourced foods - it's across from Blakes. Gracies on Washington Street is always great - if you want to spend the evening.

If you have time to drive, a ride to Newport (45 minutes) is always fun.

For dessert, make sure to find Pastiche on Spruce Street on Federal Hill.

Comment

The Journal actually bothered to print up a nice extra section in Friday's Projo. Worth picking up for those in the area...nice memories

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post

For dessert, make sure to find Pastiche on Spruce Street on Federal Hill.
                        The lemon mousse cake is out of this galaxy.

Comment

Working...
                        X