Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming to Manchester? Places to eat, things to do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming to Manchester? Places to eat, things to do...

Thought I'd share a couple of things for the travelers:

Hotels -

Radisson on Elm St. and Hilton Garden Inn are both within a short walk of the arena. Everything else is a moderate pain in the ***, but probably more reasonably priced.

Stuff to see (no links - if you're too lazy to look it up, you're probably too lazy to go there).

-Currier Museum of Art is kind of fun for a few hours.
    -There's a mall and a bunch of stores on South Willow St. Shopping sucks, though, so that's all I'll say about that.
    -SEE Science Center is a lot of fun if you have kids.
    -There's a comedy club in the Radisson on Elm St.
    -The Palace Theater is on Hanover St. Currently playing Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Sounds a little squishy to me, but whatever. Maybe you have a girlfriend. Or a boyfriend.
    - There are 5 ice sheets near the Verizon: West Side Arena and JFK Colosseum in Manchester, Tri Town Arena (2 sheets) in Hooksett, and the Ice Den in Hooksett. One of them probably has public skating or stick and puck at a time that would work for you.

Stuff to eat

- I will personally punch you in the nuts if you don't try Ate Doors Down on Elm St. Great food at cheap prices. Has a small bar. Owner will probably say something obscene to you.
    - Red Arrow Diner is good for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or drunk second dinner in the middle of the night. Horrible for you, but good.
    - Murphy's Diner is pretty good too - almost right across from the Verizon.
    - Portland Pie Company has decent pizza. A little too impressed with themselves for my taste, but good food. Ditto for 900 Degrees, not far away.
    - Jillian's is kind of like a Dave and Buster's.
    - Gaucho's on Lowell St. is a Brazilian steakhouse. It's great. A bit of a walk from the Verizon, and if you sweat on the way back it will smell like a blend of 9 kinds of meat. Stop at CVS on Elm St. for some Tums on the way there.
    - At Caesario's Pizza on Elm, the seasoned fries are life changing. You will want to punch the McDonald's kid in the throat for calling what they sell "french fries."
    - Dos Amigos Burritos, also on Elm, is good too. Like Chipotle, but better. What could be wrong with 2 pounds of pulled pork burrito?
    - Hooked (Hanover St.) is good if you like seafood.
    - Consuelo's Taqueria on Amherst St. is quick, cheap, and usually good.

Bars
    There are a bunch of them, and they will all sell you beer. Murphy's Tap Room is good, as is The Shaskeen. Both on Elm St. If you like plastic boobs ( . Y . ) there's a strip club in Bedford.

Stay away from the hookers. Nothing but trouble there.

Re: Coming to Manchester? Places to eat, things to do...

Originally posted by Markt View Post

- I will personally punch you in the nuts if you don't try Ate Doors Down on Elm St. Great food at cheap prices. Has a small bar. Owner will probably say something obscene to you.
    So, when did you buy a bar/restaurant?

Comment

Bars
      There are a bunch of them, and they will all sell you beer. Murphy's Tap Room is good, as is The Shaskeen. Both on Elm St. If you like plastic boobs ( . Y . ) there's a strip club in Bedford.

Mike's Pub N Grub and Flo's, both right behind the Verizon are in a class of their own.
      how come you didn't recommend either of them? (you probably want to avoid them... a public defender friend of mine , (who packs a .38, concealed) will not go near either place, as he says that these are the spots where most of his clients come from.)

also, Caesario's has about the best meatball sub I have ever had.
      There is a good Chinese place across from the Bedford mall, but you will need a car from the Verizon.

last... can someone comment on the Hanover St. Chop House?
      I have never tried it, due to the prices and it's Manchester location but maybe it is better than an Outback (I am just not going to chance it without a recommendation.)

Comment

Good post Mark. Can vouch for the comedy shows at the Radison, saw one a few months ago was it was great. http://www.headlinerscomedyclub.com
        Guess I'm going to have to try Ate Doors Down, never been. *covers crotch*
        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. It backs up on the outfield wall of the almost new ballpark. Quite nice. All the pols stay there every four years.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
            ... can someone comment on the Hanover St. Chop House?
            Just voted Best of the Best (fine dining) in Hippo reader's poll. Shaskeen: best pub, Republic Café: best restaurant overall, Piccola Italia: best Italian restaurant, Strange Brew Tavern: best bar/pub food and best beer selection. All within walking distance.

http://www.hippopress.com/
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Fratello's Italian Restaurant (155 Dow Street) is also very good...it's a 1.1 mile walk from the Arena. Go back down Granite Street 2 blocks to Commercial Street, walk down Commercial Street (go under the Notre Dame bridge) until you get to Dow Street. It's right there.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                Fratello's Italian Restaurant (155 Dow Street) is also very good...it's a 1.1 mile walk from the Arena. Go back down Granite Street 2 blocks to Commercial Street, walk down Commercial Street (go under the Notre Dame bridge) until you get to Dow Street. It's right there.
                If you go here and like old man drinks, get a Manhattan. It's the best one I've had in Manchester.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  Just voted Best of the Best (fine dining) in Hippo reader's poll.

http://www.hippopress.com/
                  has anyone on here actually eaten at the Hanover Street Chophouse?

I really do not trust the "Voted best" reviews, especially when steakhouses are the subject of the votes.

I have been to many steak houses around the US, and while Charley's on Orange Blossom Drive in Orlando Fl, is my favorite, it never seems to make any of the lists and never wins the "favorite" award that seems to be heavily influenced by advertising dollars.

if it ain't better than Texas Roadhouse or Outback, then I ain't buying it!

Comment

if it ain't better than Texas Roadhouse or Outback, then I ain't buying it!
                    Just my opinion, but it wouldn't have to be that great to be better than Outback...

Comment

Hotels -

Radisson on Elm St. and Hilton Garden Inn are both within a short walk of the arena. Everything else is a moderate pain in the ***, but probably more reasonably priced.

Stuff to see (no links - if you're too lazy to look it up, you're probably too lazy to go there).

-Currier Museum of Art is kind of fun for a few hours.
                      -There's a mall and a bunch of stores on South Willow St. Shopping sucks, though, so that's all I'll say about that.
                      -SEE Science Center is a lot of fun if you have kids.
                      -There's a comedy club in the Radisson on Elm St.
                      -The Palace Theater is on Hanover St. Currently playing Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Sounds a little squishy to me, but whatever. Maybe you have a girlfriend. Or a boyfriend.
                      - There are 5 ice sheets near the Verizon: West Side Arena and JFK Colosseum in Manchester, Tri Town Arena (2 sheets) in Hooksett, and the Ice Den in Hooksett. One of them probably has public skating or stick and puck at a time that would work for you.

Stuff to eat

- Red Arrow Diner is good for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or drunk second dinner in the middle of the night. Horrible for you, but good.
                      - Murphy's Diner is pretty good too - almost right across from the Verizon.
                      - Portland Pie Company has decent pizza. A little too impressed with themselves for my taste, but good food. Ditto for 900 Degrees, not far away.
                      - Jillian's is kind of like a Dave and Buster's.
                      - Gaucho's on Lowell St. is a Brazilian steakhouse. It's great. A bit of a walk from the Verizon, and if you sweat on the way back it will smell like a blend of 9 kinds of meat. Stop at CVS on Elm St. for some Tums on the way there.
                      - At Caesario's Pizza on Elm, the seasoned fries are life changing. You will want to punch the McDonald's kid in the throat for calling what they sell "french fries."
                      - Dos Amigos Burritos, also on Elm, is good too. Like Chipotle, but better. What could be wrong with 2 pounds of pulled pork burrito?
                      - Hooked (Hanover St.) is good if you like seafood.
                      - Consuelo's Taqueria on Amherst St. is quick, cheap, and usually good.

Bars

It is a shame that all reviews in things like Zagat's aren't like this.

Comment

has anyone on here actually eaten at the Hanover Street Chophouse?
                        I've not. Everyone I know that has been there spoke positively about it. I have been to all the other establishments I mentioned. Their recognition is deserved.
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Just my opinion, but it wouldn't have to be that great to be better than Outback...
                          that is exactly my point, my friend.

I have eaten at the Chicago Chop House, often rated the top steakhouse in the US... (depending on which list you are reading at the time) and it is NOT better than the outback... although it IS better than Denny's

Comment

I don't know how I forgot that. I absolutely agree!

Comment

Originally posted by WrathOfAramark View Post
                              If you go here and like old man drinks, get a Manhattan. It's the best one I've had in Manchester.
                              I have to redefine my New Year's Eve. I'm 29, and got drunk on Manhattan's at Firefly. **** good Manhattan there.
                              I haven't been on here in a year...
                              Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X