Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Conference Tourney Attendance

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    How? First, concentrate upon exposure, even if you have to give it away. Second, concentrate upon the most popular venue, even if it offends you. Third, decide beforehand how profits will be divided among teams and leagues, even if your team must suffer.
    You don't make any money by giving stuff away.

Comment

I'm gonna miss the automatic home games the CCHA Playoffs presented. Now it will be road and home rotating. With the B1G Tournament at the X in even years and at the JLA in odd.
      ---
      National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
      Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
      19 Conference Championships
      10 Conference Tournament Championships
      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        Since then, the ECAC has stayed away from New England- perhaps because they realized the old tournament used to do well at the Garden because of the schools who left!
        AND because of Hockey East, which they can't compete against in New England.

I went to Albany in 1999 and 2000 (and this was before the Frozen Four became a REAL big-time event). They had a deal where if you bought tickets for the regionals that year you would automatically get Frozen Four tickets for the next year if you wanted them. I had never been there before, but apparently the problem is that because it's the state capital (and not really a "destination") all of the activity was during the week and the place was deserted on the weekend. There was literally NOTHING to do if you were just in the city, unless you wanted to drive all over creation. Again, you take a place like Boston and you have public transportation (subways, etc) that can get you anywhere. Also, Boston is a densely-populated city but it is smallish in terms of square miles, meaning everything is close and many activities are within walking distance. Those of us who are used to metropolitan areas that are densely populated aren't as used to driving great distances, and when we go to a venue we just sort of "expect" the amenities are going to be there. It's just a function of growing up in a place like New England, where we can go to the city, the beach, the mountains, skiing and a million other things and never have to drive more than an hour to do them. Yes, we're spoiled, but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
          How? First, concentrate upon exposure, even if you have to give it away. Second, concentrate upon the most popular venue, even if it offends you. Third, decide beforehand how profits will be divided among teams and leagues, even if your team must suffer.
          You can't sell it once you've given it away.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
            Um, RIT? Niagara is 90 miles away. Canisius (who won it) is 70 miles away...
            Right, Canisius, who pulled 13,797 versus UND's 11,592. Of course that is total attendance for the year versus average attendance per game. Counting on Canisius fans to fill a restroom, let alone a building, is flawed thinking.
            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
              Right, Canisius, who pulled 13,797 versus UND's 11,592. Of course that is total attendance for the year versus average attendance per game. Counting on Canisius fans to fill a restroom, let alone a building, is flawed thinking.
              Not to mention, they don't even have their own rink; they rent from Buffalo State College.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                Yeah, that's a great idea too. Now EVERYBODY has to drive six hours.
                But at least we can ski during the day

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                  Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Not to mention, they don't even have their own rink; they rent from Buffalo State College.
                  I believe I did mention the issues AHA had with attendance/averages...
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                  B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                  CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass
                  NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                    But at least we can ski during the day
                    True.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                      I believe I did mention the issues AHA had with attendance/averages...
                      That's what happens when RIT doesn't make it.

Comment

That's what happens when RIT doesn't make it.
                        And there it is. Just give it to the #1 seed (and give the 1 seed a bye to make sure they actually make the tourney) and call it a day. Even if your home rink "only" holds 1000 fans, at least those 1000 fans give a rip about being there and give any tourney good atmosphere. Honestly, it makes sense even in the ECAC, NCHC, Big 10...
                        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                        ECAC:
                        HEA: UMass
                        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

You don't make any money by giving stuff away.
                          Oddly enough, in this era lots of companies and people make money giving stuff away. I recently watched an interesting interview about how web comics and bloggers make money. They give their product away, and by having it free are able to build a bigger following. Then make money on merchandise and advertising.

My CCHA tickets weren't "free" but practically were. I paid $6.50 each day. Having spent so little on tickets, I spent more at the rink.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            Oddly enough, in this era lots of companies and people make money giving stuff away. I recently watched an interesting interview about how web comics and bloggers make money. They give their product away, and by having it free are able to build a bigger following. Then make money on merchandise and advertising.

My CCHA tickets weren't "free" but practically were. I paid $6.50 each day. Having spent so little on tickets, I spent more at the rink.
                            $6.50??? That's awesome. I drove six hours to AC and had to pay $30 each day for what were supposed to be upper deck seats. We moved down because there was no one there.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

Worked pretty well for Google and Facebook.

Comment

Is this a good place to mention that I inexplicably got student discount tickets at the Garden box office even though I got out of grad school 15 years ago? Just a young lookin' guy I guess, although the dude behind the counter was wearing glasses...
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X