Midwest Regional Semifinal: #3 Minnesota State vs. #2 Miami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest Regional Semifinal: #3 Minnesota State vs. #2 Miami

Well, a tough draw for the Mavericks, but I don't know if it's worse than playing BC or at UNH.

Minnesota State needs to get healthy and should be well rested after a loss to Wisconsin in which their team defense and goaltending, two staples of this team, looked horrendous.

No idea what to expect. Go Mavericks!
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Re: Midwest Regional Semifinal: #3 Minnesota State vs. #2 Miami

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    Well, a tough draw for the RedHawks, but I don't know if it's worse than playing BC or at UNH.

Miami needs to get healthy and should be well rested after a loss to Michigan in which their team defense and goaltending, two staples of this team, looked horrendous.

No idea what to expect. Go RedHawks!
    fyp

Comment

Welcome to Toledo to both of your schools and Good Luck this weekend. See you downtown on Saturday afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
        Welcome to Toledo to both of your schools and Good Luck this weekend. See you downtown on Saturday afternoon.
        Hoping to actually make the trip. Not sure if I should drive it on Friday, fly for expensive prices, or fly for cheap to Chicago and rent a car.
        AF 99

Comment

Another "one and done" for Miami I'm sure. The program believes the regular season is what matters. MSU will have a good chance to make it to Pittsburgh because I would expect Miami will roll over as typical in this tournament.
          http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

As you can see, we are feeling very optimistic about this post-season

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
              As you can see, we are feeling very optimistic about this post-season
              Hopefully your players are feeling the exact same way!
              AF 99

Comment

Both teams got throttled in the conf tournament. SHOULD be a good game.
                Tempted to drive the 11.5 hours to see this one in person but everyone (very few) I have talked with so far is staying home and don't see myself doing the trip solo.

Comment

Originally posted by crossjcek View Post
                  Both teams got throttled in the conf tournament. SHOULD be a good game.
                  Tempted to drive the 11.5 hours to see this one in person but everyone (very few) I have talked with so far is staying home and don't see myself doing the trip solo.
                  I tried suggesting a bus trip to some MSU people at the viewing party last night. Not sure it's gonna gain any ground or anything..
                  AF 99

Comment

I tried suggesting a bus trip to some MSU people at the viewing party last night. Not sure it's gonna gain any ground or anything..
                    Have to imagine attendance is going to be pretty brutal. Quite a hike for Minnesota folks and Miami/Notre Dame don't exactly bring hordes of fans on the road. Once you factor in Easter weekend, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Well, moreso of a disaster than the average Midwest regional attendance usually is.

I'm really a little ray of sunshine this morning...

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                      Have to imagine attendance is going to be pretty brutal. Quite a hike for Minnesota folks and Miami/Notre Dame don't exactly bring hordes of fans on the road. Once you factor in Easter weekend, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Well, moreso of a disaster than the average Midwest regional attendance usually is.

I'm really a little ray of sunshine this morning...
                      I totally agree. Flights are crazy expensive due to the fact it's short notice and Easter weekend as well.

I don't know a ton about Miami outside of the fact they're young, quick, and Czarnak is a stud.
                      AF 99

Comment

I totally agree. Flights are crazy expensive due to the fact it's short notice and Easter weekend as well.

I don't know a ton about Miami outside of the fact they're young, quick, and Czarnak is a stud.
                        Take it from this Michigan fan- the team that the Wolverines dismantled is nothing like the team that won the regular season CCHA title.

The goaltenders are both phenomenal and the defensive system that they play really aids that. They are an all or nothing team, though- can pound 4-5 goals one night and zero the next. Plenty of talent, but most of it is young. Czarnik, Barber, McKenzie are the big guns. Plenty of depth, great speed. Like the Irish, if you get behind those teams it is quite a feat to come back.

Comment

Young, quick, and very energetic, but prone to forgetting how to score goals. Czarnik and Barber have carried the offense all season to varied results as we've been shutout on seven different occasions. Our secondary scoring has started to perk up a little down the stretch. Jimmy Mullin, who seemed to be in Rico's doghouse for the first half of the year, has been playing very well the last month or so.

For such a young team (18 underclassmen) they have been remarkably steady, and statistically one of the best defenses in the country. The wild card is the offense.

It will be interesting to see who is in net this weekend. Ryan McKay looked nothing like himself out there against Michigan, now some of that was a function of the generally poor play in front of him, but you have to wonder if he's been worn down a little after taking the reins from our usual rotation a few weeks back. Jay Williams is an extremely viable option in net, but benching McKay and his video game numbers (well I haven't looked at what happened after the Michigan game ) would be a bold move to say the least.

Comment

Sounds like an intriguing matchup. The Mavericks have been solid in all facets of the game this season. Before last week's debacle, they were 8th in team defense, 9th in scoring, and 4th on the PP. Their penalty kill is 25th or so.

Stephon Williams has been the difference maker this year. The freshman has had outstanding numbers this year and the team has excelled since he took over in November. He looked nothing like himself last week, and he'll hopefully return to form Saturday.
                            AF 99

Comment

Have Miami and Minnesota State ever played before?
                              Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Working...
                              X