PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Regional Semifinal: #3 Minnesota State vs. #2 Miami

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

purpleinnebraska
03-25-2013, 09:39 PM
I know that the Mavericks and Redhawks skated to a 3-3 tie in 2004, the Mavericks won in a shootout for tournament purposes.

From what I've heard, the Mavericks will have everyone that was banged up last week back except for Zuck. Things aren't looking great for him to play this week. Win twice, and you may see him back in the lineup. I suspect the lines we'll see this weekend will similiar to what follows:

Grant-Leitner-Gervais
Margonari-Blueger-Hayes
Knowles-LaFontaine-McInnis
Herndon-Lehrke-Gaede

Jutzi-Nelson
Elbrecht-Mosey----->Could see Buchanan in for Mosey, but he struggled mightily in St. Paul.
Stern-Palmquist

Williams
Cook

I know Hastings has had issues with Mosey all year, and I think Hastings has been right, but Buchanan is SLOW, and we're already giving up enough speed without making it worse.

MavHockey14
03-25-2013, 09:42 PM
The Mavericks look very deep, particularly at center. I see few ways Miami wins this game. MSU will be hungry and can score. Miami possesses neither quality. I posted a few more musings on the blog.

http://redskinwarriors.com/2013/03/25/miami-v-minnesota-state-ncaa-tournament-round-1/

The Mavericks can get scoring from all of their lines, but Leitner and Hayes are lights out, especially on the power play.

That is in stark contrast to the low-scoring RedHawks who have netted just 101 goals on the year, but have allowed only 69.
That is a crazy good number for team GAA. 1.73, good for second in the country. Also, McKay, while he hasn't played all year, posts the nation's top GAA at 1.37 and the second best save percentage at .948.

The biggest key to victory for Miami will be to keep the Mavericks off the power play. The nation's 5th best PP, clicking at 23.4%, it is lethal, especially in a playoff setting. Miami has the nation's 6th best PK, however.

I don't see how you can say Miami has no stats. They have two 38 point guys as well.

this should be a fantastic game.

MavHockey14
03-25-2013, 09:44 PM
I know Hastings has had issues with Mosey all year, and I think Hastings has been right, but Buchanan is SLOW, and we're already giving up enough speed without making it worse.

Mosey had two mistakes Friday of the UNO series, both resulting in goals given up, and he sat him there after. Might move to more of a 5 man rotation now, too, with it being playoff time.

redhawk95
03-25-2013, 10:00 PM
The Mavericks can get scoring from all of their lines, but Leitner and Hayes are lights out, especially on the power play.

That is a crazy good number for team GAA. 1.73, good for second in the country. Also, McKay, while he hasn't played all year, posts the nation's top GAA at 1.37 and the second best save percentage at .948.

The biggest key to victory for Miami will be to keep the Mavericks off the power play. The nation's 5th best PP, clicking at 23.4%, it is lethal, especially in a playoff setting. Miami has the nation's 6th best PK, however.

I don't see how you can say Miami has no stats. They have two 38 point guys as well.

this should be a fantastic game.

Because I've been around the program since the 1980s. I've seen this movie a hundred times. LOL.

But, I agree. It "should" be a good game. Miami possesses size and speed. They are built to play Hockey East schools since that league has been our nemesis in the national tournament. Since 2005-06...

06 - BC (L)
07- UNH (W), BC (L)
08 - AFA (W), BC (L)
09 - DU (W), UMD (W), BSU (W), BU (L)
10 - UAH (W), U-M (W), BC (L)
11 - UNH (L)
12 - UML (L)

By my count, Hockey East has owned us (one win vs. UNH in '07) but we've faired well against WCHA competition. Rico has logically began to model his team after HE squads with smallish, fast forwards and decent size with mobility on the blueline. Miami is still a physical club. That has not changed. I'd think Hastings will ask his guys to push some buttons to see if he can earn some PP time. Miami will take the bait.

McKay (12-6-2, 1.37/.948) looks worn down despite having played only 21 games. But, he has played four games in the past 11 days so that could be some of it. I would not be surprised if Rico went with Jay Williams (12-5-3, 1.94/.924) on Saturday night. He is big, emotional, unorthodox and athletic. McKay is a little smaller, stoic and has tremendous technique. Definitely a contrast in styles. They have essentially split the season though McKay has played the lion's share down the stretch.

MavHockey14
03-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Because I've been around the program since the 1980s. I've seen this movie a hundred times. LOL.

But, I agree. It "should" be a good game. Miami possesses size and speed. They are built to play Hockey East schools since that league has been our nemesis in the national tournament. Since 2005-06...

06 - BC (L)
07- UNH (W), BC (L)
08 - AFA (W), BC (L)
09 - DU (W), UMD (W), BSU (W), BU (L)
10 - UAH (W), U-M (W), BC (L)
11 - UNH (L)
12 - UML (L)

By my count, Hockey East has owned us (one win vs. UNH in '07) but we've faired well against WCHA competition. Rico has logically began to model his team after HE squads with smallish, fast forwards and decent size with mobility on the blueline. Miami is still a physical club. That has not changed. I'd think Hastings will ask his guys to push some buttons to see if he can earn some PP time. Miami will take the bait.

McKay (12-6-2, 1.37/.948) looks worn down despite having played only 21 games. But, he has played four games in the past 11 days so that could be some of it. I would not be surprised if Rico went with Jay Williams (12-5-3, 1.94/.924) on Saturday night. He is big, emotional, unorthodox and athletic. McKay is a little smaller, stoic and has tremendous technique. Definitely a contrast in styles. They have essentially split the season though McKay has played the lion's share down the stretch.

Well, I hope you're right. We're used to a fairly physical, but fairly disciplined style of play. Much more disciplined than we've been accustomed to under our previous coach.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but the fact that the backbone of this team, our goaltender, struggled mightily in the biggest game of the year, and on the biggest stage of his career, makes me think this is a very tough matchup for us.

redhawk95
03-25-2013, 10:17 PM
I know that the Mavericks and Redhawks skated to a 3-3 tie in 2004, the Mavericks won in a shootout for tournament purposes.

From what I've heard, the Mavericks will have everyone that was banged up last week back except for Zuck. Things aren't looking great for him to play this week. Win twice, and you may see him back in the lineup. I suspect the lines we'll see this weekend will similiar to what follows:

Grant-Leitner-Gervais
Margonari-Blueger-Hayes
Knowles-LaFontaine-McInnis
Herndon-Lehrke-Gaede

Jutzi-Nelson
Elbrecht-Mosey----->Could see Buchanan in for Mosey, but he struggled mightily in St. Paul.
Stern-Palmquist

Williams
Cook

Possible Miami lines/pairs...

Wideman (So) - Czarnik (So) - Barber (Fr) - This line better score; Czarnik was CCHA POY/First Team All-CCHA and Barber First team All-Rookie and All-Conference
McKenzie (Sr) - Kuraly (Fr) - Gacek (Fr) - Kuraly and Gacek are very fast, McKenzie is a grinder
Murphy (So) - Morris (Fr) - Hagel (RS Sr) - Energy Line; Murphy is probably the fastest RedHawk and possesses a nasty shot; Hagel completed his degree at Princeton, had one year of eligibility remaining, transferred to Miami and enrolled in grad school...smart kid
Mullin (So) - Coleman (So) - Cook (Jr) - Neither Mullin, nor Coleman, are 4th liners (they are both NHL draft picks), yet, here they are

Spinell (Sr) - Caito (Fr) - Spinell is the captain (Miami does not designate alternates), Caito was a first-team All-Rookie team selection
Hartman (Sr) - Joyaux (Fr) - Hartman is from St. Cloud
Kennedy (Sr) - Richart (Fr) - Kennedy is small but will bring the lumber; Richart is from Blaine

Williams/McKay
McKay/Williams

MavHockey14
03-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Possible Miami lines/pairs...

Wideman (So) - Czarnik (So) - Barber (Fr) - This line better score; Czarnik was CCHA POY/First Team All-CCHA and Barber First team All-Rookie and All-Conference
McKenzie (Sr) - Kuraly (Fr) - Gacek (Fr) - Kuraly and Gacek are very fast, McKenzie is a grinder
Murphy (So) - Morris (Fr) - Hagel (RS Sr) - Energy Line; Murphy is probably the fastest RedHawk and possesses a nasty shot
Mullin (So) - Coleman (So) - Cook (Jr) - Neither Mullin, nor Coleman, are 4th liners, yet, here they are

Spinell (Sr) - Caito (Fr) - Spinell is the captain (Miami does not designate alternates), Caito was a first-team All-Rookie team selection
Hartman (Sr) - Joyaux (Fr) - Hartman is from St. Cloud
Kennedy (Sr) - Richart (Fr) - Kennedy is small but will bring the lumber; Richart is from Blaine

Williams/McKay
McKay/Williams

That Czarnik-Barber combo scares me. Although, we did fair well against the Knight-Kristo and Bjugstad-Rau combos this season.

Off topic; Are you from Des Moines? Become a Hawkeye fan at all since being there?

redhawk95
03-25-2013, 10:34 PM
That Czarnik-Barber combo scares me. Although, we did fair well against the Knight-Kristo and Bjugstad-Rau combos this season.

Off topic; Are you from Des Moines? Become a Hawkeye fan at all since being there?

No. From Cincinnati originally. Got a great job opportunity here back in November. No love for/against Hawkeyes or Cyclones though I would have loved it if ISU could have knocked off duhOSU in the bball tourney the other day...

guggir
03-25-2013, 10:36 PM
I did read this earlier today. I believe Miami is 1-0-1, with a game sometime in the 90's and once at the Ohio hockey classic in 2004.I remember that first game as it was the first Maverick game I attended.

MavHockey14
03-25-2013, 10:46 PM
No. From Cincinnati originally. Got a great job opportunity here back in November. No love for/against Hawkeyes or Cyclones though I would have loved it if ISU could have knocked off duhOSU in the bball tourney the other day...
Ah. I'm an Iowa Football season ticket holder, and the love for them there in Des Moines, and to a lesser extent the love the ISUcks fans have for their team is awesome.

redhawk95
03-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Ah. I'm an Iowa Football season ticket holder, and the love for them there in Des Moines, and to a lesser extent the love the ISUcks fans have for their team is awesome.

For sure. No pro teams here so ISU and U of I get a lot of attention. Both schools vie for the "mega market" that is the 515. LOL. Did you go to school at U of I?

MavHockey14
03-25-2013, 11:15 PM
For sure. No pro teams here so ISU and U of I get a lot of attention. Both schools vie for the "mega market" that is the 515. LOL. Did you go to school at U of I?

Nope. Grew up in a Hawkeye family. My dad moved to Minnesota for work. Still make the four hour trek seven Saturdays a year. When born into a Hawkeye family, there's no turning back.

MUhawks628
03-26-2013, 06:11 AM
I'd think Hastings will ask his guys to push some buttons to see if he can earn some PP time. Miami's senior leadership will take the bait.

:rolleyes:

MUhawks628
03-26-2013, 07:27 AM
After the wins last weekend in Detroit I don't doubt the ND fans will show and I would HOPE weather permitting a stong contingent makes the 2 1/2 hr drive up from Oxford. I met Miami fans who came from quite a distance last weekend so why not this weekend? And don't give me an excuse of the shellacking Michigan gave them. Win or lose they're YOUR team and they need you there for them!

Oh, no doubt our normal traveling fans will be there, but when you start going to enough road/tournament games you realize it's the same 1,000 or so people every time. We're dedicated, but we're tiny lol.

If it weren't Easter weekend I'd think we'd have a very strong contingent coming out of the woodwork, but it's pretty short notice on a holiday weekend for the casuals who don't normally follow Miami until the postseason, let alone track chances of making this regional for the last two months.

SweeneyHawksHockey
03-26-2013, 07:42 AM
628, have you heard anything about which section is the designated Miami section? I haven't decided whether I will buy in that section or just buy closest to center ice.

redhawk95
03-26-2013, 07:47 AM
:rolleyes:

Perfect.

MUhawks628
03-26-2013, 07:52 AM
628, have you heard anything about which section is the designated Miami section? I haven't decided whether I will buy in that section or just buy closest to center ice.

I haven't, doesn't sound like Miami has distributed any tickets yet, so not sure anyone knows. I just grabbed a couple tickets in 107, judging by the seating map on Ticketmaster this will be much more of a sit as you please type affair, probably be pretty easy to relocate to an open seat by the Miami section.

A guess would be the 109/110 corner since that would be our bench side in the Regional Final if the bracket holds.

MavHockey14
03-26-2013, 09:38 PM
I haven't, doesn't sound like Miami has distributed any tickets yet, so not sure anyone knows. I just grabbed a couple tickets in 107, judging by the seating map on Ticketmaster this will be much more of a sit as you please type affair, probably be pretty easy to relocate to an open seat by the Miami section.

A guess would be the 109/110 corner since that would be our bench side in the Regional Final if the bracket holds.

When I looked on the ticket map, there was three sections you couldn't buy tickets in. I just figured those were for the schools.

Edit: awfully quiet in here today...

redhawk95
03-26-2013, 10:46 PM
When I looked on the ticket map, there was three sections you couldn't buy tickets in. I just figured those were for the schools.

Edit: awfully quiet in here today...

I think I've tempered expectations for us all. LOL...

Hockeybuckeye
03-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Oh, no doubt our normal traveling fans will be there, but when you start going to enough road/tournament games you realize it's the same 1,000 or so people every time. We're dedicated, but we're tiny lol.

If it weren't Easter weekend I'd think we'd have a very strong contingent coming out of the woodwork, but it's pretty short notice on a holiday weekend for the casuals who don't normally follow Miami until the postseason, let alone track chances of making this regional for the last two months.I didn't even consider it being the holiday weekend so that may indeed affect the turnout as home, family & church may trump traveling to hockey. Otherwise Toledo isn't a very hard drive from Miami's campus. Regardless, I hope as a CCHA team you are well represented and the CCHA goes out with a National Champion.