PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin vs. UMass-Lowell (Bucky vs. Rowdy) - NCAA Northeast Regional Friday 3/29

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

FiveHole12
03-26-2013, 06:44 PM
This should be a great regional with 4 high quality teams. If there's any chance at a regional sellout, this is it. Lowell and UNH within an hour's drive going against perennial hockey powers Denver and Wisconsin. Of course, if the WCHA happens to spoil the party, attendance could take a hit on Sunday.

Good luck to our Hockey East brothers.

Go-UML
03-26-2013, 06:49 PM
UML has "The Band" ... Boston sports writers have declared the band "the best in the East." They travel as the Universities' "Jazz Rock Big Band" and play all over the country.They looked a bit skimpy in Boston but still sounded great.

streeter
03-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Wow, the recession hit Bruce Wayne really hard.

photo applies to Madison Wisconsin as well... lol just sayin...

streeter
03-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Will Wisconsin bring their band? Does Lowell have a band? I assume UNH will have a band and DU will not...

Wisco will not bring the band.... long drawn out story but lets just say hockey isn't the Important sport in wisconsin athletics that it once was so the athletic dept. won't spend the money to send the band out...

streeter
03-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Relax there, buddy. They've been targeting the F4 for Lee's return for weeks now. Nothing's changed.

Even if he was good to go there is no way EAves is changing those top 3 lines around right now!!! Lee would likely see min. time on the 4th line.... This team is playing the best they have all year right now... in all 3 zones...

Fishhawk
03-26-2013, 08:00 PM
They looked a bit skimpy in Boston but still sounded great.

On Saturday night they were all there and they rocked it! They even payed a spontaneous jam session in the hallway between the 2nd and 3rd periods.

WiscDC
03-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Wisco will not bring the band.... long drawn out story but lets just say hockey isn't the Important sport in wisconsin athletics that it once was so the athletic dept. won't spend the money to send the band out...

Is that just pessimism, or can do you know this for sure? I know it's the Twin Cities and not New Hampshire, but UW sent the band for the women's frozen four last year, and they almost never have the band at regular season women's games.

streeter
03-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Is that just pessimism, or can do you know this for sure? I know it's the Twin Cities and not New Hampshire, but UW sent the band for the women's frozen four last year, and they almost never have the band at regular season women's games.

The frozen four is different... We can't even get all our home games on TV so I'm gonna say the band is a no show in New Hampshire.... It may just take another national title for some in the athletic offices to wake up.... The men's hockey program has taken a hit in the last 5 years in attendance, partially because of the lack of a consistent tv deal and the rise in ticket prices... both of which are a direct result of some of the higher ups in the athletic offices.... I hope they win #7 this year just because of that...

WiscDC
03-26-2013, 08:37 PM
The frozen four is different... We can't even get all our home games on TV so I'm gonna say the band is a no show in New Hampshire.... It may just take another national title for some in the athletic offices to wake up.... The men's hockey program has taken a hit in the last 5 years in attendance, partially because of the lack of a consistent tv deal and the rise in ticket prices... both of which are a direct result of some of the higher ups in the athletic offices.... I hope they win #7 this year just because of that...

Many of us on this board are on the same page as you with most of this stuff, but I still think we'll get the band there. As for everything else, send your thoughts to the Athletic Department. I wrote paragraphs upon paragraphs dealing with that in my season ticket holder survey, and once the season is over, I'll send a separate message.

streeter
03-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Many of us on this board are on the same page as you with most of this stuff, but I still think we'll get the band there. As for everything else, send your thoughts to the Athletic Department. I wrote paragraphs upon paragraphs dealing with that in my season ticket holder survey, and once the season is over, I'll send a separate message.

They might just because the Bball team is done and nothing else is really going on, its Spring break so they won't have to miss classes. you could be right but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the UW band isn't there... One other thing I didn't mention in my previous comment about the hockey team's dip in attendance and its the local media coverage... I hate local news in madison so I rarely watch it but my parents do and they informed me if the hockey team gets and coverage at all on any of the local news its 30 sec. max and its after every badger sport and local madison prep sports... kinda hard to energize a fan base with local coverage like that....

MadCityRich
03-26-2013, 08:53 PM
A friend just called and asked me about a rumor of Madison TVW picking up the game. I went on their website...AND IT IS CONFIRMED.

TVW (Television Wisconsin) is available throughout the Madison market on over-the-air digital channel 3-2, on Charter Cable channel 14, and on DirecTV channel 14. I used to have DISH network and I know they DO NOT have it.

EDIT: I just noticed icebadger posted the same info a couple hours ago on the UW thread.

WiscDC
03-26-2013, 09:03 PM
They might just because the Bball team is done and nothing else is really going on, its Spring break so they won't have to miss classes. you could be right but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the UW band isn't there... One other thing I didn't mention in my previous comment about the hockey team's dip in attendance and its the local media coverage... I hate local news in madison so I rarely watch it but my parents do and they informed me if the hockey team gets and coverage at all on any of the local news its 30 sec. max and its after every badger sport and local madison prep sports... kinda hard to energize a fan base with local coverage like that....

Well, they never have the full band at basketball/hockey/volleyball, only a small portion of it, and the band has been at both hockey and basketball the past 2 weekends, when both teams have been in action at the same time. And just like before, I'll add that I agree with what you're saying about coverage and enthusiasm.

aznman08
03-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Of course, if the WCHA happens to spoil the party, attendance could take a hit on Sunday.

Good luck to our Hockey East brothers.

I got $5 on the Easter bunny :D:D:D

Almington
03-26-2013, 09:09 PM
I believe that the NCAA covers the costs of sending the bands to the tournament. I'd be shocked if UW doesn't sent the band (unless the band is under double secret probation, again)

CleggyofUML
03-26-2013, 09:22 PM
The crowd will be pro-Lowell obviously, but I'm curious as to who the UNH fans will root for (if they show up for the first game)...?

Man, I still can't believe I'm missing this. Closest regional to my house, the first time Lowell is the #1 seed ... and I can't go.

You aren't the only one Monty. I'm missing out because of work and I may miss Saturday as well if UML advances.

riverchief1
03-26-2013, 10:29 PM
The crowd will be pro-Lowell obviously, but I'm curious as to who the UNH fans will root for (if they show up for the first game)...?

Man, I still can't believe I'm missing this. Closest regional to my house, the first time Lowell is the #1 seed ... and I can't go.

The Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce is worried that your absence will affect the economic impact of the regionals due to a reduction in local bar revenue. :)

UMLFan
03-27-2013, 12:29 AM
Should I avoid sending score updates? Seems every time I do you are Tivo-ing the game :eek: :o
I'll be at my brother's wedding, and ****ed about it. So updates are requested. And plenty of them. I'm even going to have my phone off silent for this one. I want Lowell to score a goal right during the ceremony when they ask "Does anyone have any objections?" and I just scream "YES!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You aren't the only one Monty. I'm missing out because of work and I may miss Saturday as well if UML advances.
See above. I'm out for the entire weekend. :( Charleston, SC weekend for me.

The Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce is worried that your absence will affect the economic impact of the regionals due to a reduction in local bar revenue. :)My friend who owns Castro's has already said the same to me, they were looking forward to me showing up and smoking some cigars this weekend.

UMLHockey224
03-27-2013, 04:02 AM
Again Monty, thank you for the tickets what day are you leaving? Just so we can meet up to get them!

Wisko McBadgerton
03-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Any UML fans care to comment on the play of #28 Jake Suter this year?
Badger fans may be interested because of Jake's deep family connections to UW. His father Gary played for the Badgers in the mid 80's following Jake's uncles, John and (Miracle on Ice'r) Bob, who both played with Mike Eaves and 3 other all Americans on our '77 NCAA Champion team, and Jake's cousin, NHL'er Ryan, starred for the Badgers in 2005.
I see he has 1-4-5 /+5, but points don't always tell the story. Uncle Bob wasn't a big points guy, but was a great college player.

WrathOfAramark
03-27-2013, 07:55 AM
Any UML fans care to comment on the play of #28 Jake Suter this year?
Badger fans may be interested because of Jake's deep family connections to UW. His father Gary played for the Badgers in the mid 80's following Jake's uncles, John and (Miracle on Ice'r) Bob, who both played with Mike Eaves and 3 other all Americans on our '77 NCAA Champion team, and Jake's cousin, NHL'er Ryan, starred for the Badgers in 2005.
I see he has 1-4-5 /+5, but points don't always tell the story. Uncle Bob wasn't a big points guy, but was a great college player.

Jake has been a very solid stay at home defenseman this year. He blocks a ton of shots. Has excellent positioning and gap control. Doesn't panic when pressed in his own zone. Not a huge shot, but moves the puck very well in the offensive zone.