PDA

View Full Version : All-Academic Teams

Pages : [1] 2

nescachockey
03-21-2013, 05:57 PM
73 men's hockey players made the NESCAC All-Academic team, maintaining a cumulative GPA of 3.35. What about in other conferences?

http://www.nescachockey.com/2013/03/news-and-notes-32113-all-academic-team.html

PS NESCAC has four of the top six and six of the top 18 schools on U.S. News and World Report's Liberal Arts College rankings. Cue backlash that those rankings don't matter!

joecct
03-21-2013, 06:36 PM
73 men's hockey players made the NESCAC All-Academic team, maintaining a cumulative GPA of 3.35. What about in other conferences?

http://www.nescachockey.com/2013/03/news-and-notes-32113-all-academic-team.html

PS NESCAC has four of the top six and six of the top 18 schools on U.S. News and World Report's Liberal Arts College rankings. Cue backlash that those rankings don't matter!What happened to Williams?

nescachockey
03-21-2013, 07:05 PM
What happened to Williams?

They had 8. Making 81. Sorry Ephs fans.

The Real Georgia Peach
03-21-2013, 08:07 PM
I went to McDonald's today, and a Liberal Arts grad asked me,"You want fries with that?"...:D

PSUChamps2001
03-21-2013, 08:34 PM
I went to McDonald's today, and a Liberal Arts grad asked me,"You want fries with that?"...:D

Cue the congradulations picture......

NUProf
03-21-2013, 08:48 PM

In all fairness. a Liberal Arts degree is a starting place. I actually support the concept.

nescachockey
03-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Also, there is a big difference between a "liberal arts degree" and a degree from a liberal arts college.

NUProf
03-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Also, there is a big difference between a "liberal arts degree" and a degree from a liberal arts college.

Although we are getting a looooong ways away from hockey, pure mathematics is one of the classical liberal arts. Thus, a mathematics degree is a liberal arts degree. The liberal arts are the arts and sciences - as opposed to vocational training :D

neumyer
03-22-2013, 08:16 AM
I went to McDonald's today, and a Liberal Arts grad asked me,"You want fries with that?"...:DBut they own the franchise.

The Real Georgia Peach
03-22-2013, 08:38 AM
I just KNEW I'd get some reaction to my post...:p....Thanks for playing.:D

nescachockey
03-22-2013, 08:48 AM
I just KNEW I'd get some reaction to my post...:p....Thanks for playing.:D

Troll on! ;)

neumyer
03-22-2013, 09:27 AM
I just KNEW I'd get some reaction to my post...:p....Thanks for playing.:DYou ought to know....you bit first!

jerrynu26
03-22-2013, 10:04 AM

I think the ECAC All Academic teams are released the first week of April.

ilikehockey
04-06-2013, 09:54 AM
All Academic for all the ECAC Leagues are posted. Congrats to all

hawkhockey
04-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Interesting to see the spectrum of the number of student athletes at each college.
Babson(3) and St.A's(4) on the low end and Castleton(12) and UNE(12) on the high end.

NUProf
04-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Interesting to see the spectrum of the number of student athletes at each college.
Babson(3) and St.A's(4) on the low end and Castleton(12) and UNE(12) on the high end.

It is a tough job comparing academic achievement between schools. Is an "A" at Norwich, equivalent to an "A" at St. Anselm. Nobody can really say. There are just too many variable involved.About the only comparison that can be made is the relative standing of hockey players to the rest of the student body. Babson grades can be compared to Babson grades, but probably not to Castleton grades.

dreamer6
04-07-2013, 11:15 AM
It is a tough job comparing academic achievement between schools. Is an "A" at Norwich, equivalent to an "A" at St. Anselm. Nobody can really say. There are just too many variable involved.About the only comparison that can be made is the relative standing of hockey players to the rest of the student body. Babson grades can be compared to Babson grades, but probably not to Castleton grades.

My thoughts exactly. Earning a 3.0 @ Babson is a lot more difficult than many of the other schools in the ECAC-E.

NUProf
04-07-2013, 01:44 PM
The degree of difficult of earning a grade depends not always on the academic quality of the school as the grading philosophy of the faculty. Decoding the meaning of grades is not always easy.

oldguard
04-08-2013, 09:09 AM

I agree with the Professor, an 'A' means different things in different schools and, in fact, in different Academic Departments or Degree Programs. A more accurate measure of the academic effort and results of a Hockey team would be to compare each of the players record to others in their own degree program only.

Icequeen
04-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Kudos to all! I don't care what they study - being a student athlete is tough. That being said... My all time favorite player since first day I watched him play as a freshman, Colin Mulvey, at least 3.7 in engineering. Rock on Colin!!!