Bemidji State: Fire Tom Serratorre!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bemidji State: Fire Tom Serratorre!

Since there is nobody else in the city of Bemidji that has any stones to call for this guy's job (and partly because you can count how many BSU coaches there have been on one hand) I'll speak up. This team is going nowhere fast. Sure we have a great goaltender in Walsh (AKA Goalie Jesus), but other than walsher where are the recruits? Hell, we were in the frozen four and opened a great new barn.. it shouldn't be that difficult of a task. I just don't buy into the strategy of plucking leftover guys out of the NAHL when I see all the top end WCHA talent coming out of USHL and Minnesota high schools. I know players on multiple other WCHA teams personally (went to high school with them) and they told me that they either 1. Never even received a call from BSU or 2. Didn't want to play 2 seasons of junior hockey before starting college. Sounds like a coaching issue to me if top prospects aren't even getting a call from Serratorre...

Re: Bemidji State: Fire Tom Serratorre!

Who are these kids you speak of and if BSU did come calling would they have seen the caller ID and not answered anyways?

Comment

you bet. I am sure it would be easy to outrecruit Mn and UND, much less everyone else in the WCHA.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

He was a great recruiter when he was at SCSU and has proven to be a good coach. The problem is most people don't want to live in Bemidji even with a new arena.
        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Wow. Surprised to see this thread........

greenmachine. As was stated earlier, the Beavers are not going to out recruit the Minnesotas, Wisconsins and North Dakotas of the college hockey world. That is a fact and BSU knows it. Should they invest the time and energy on a kid they know they have no chance of getting?

And with the shakeup of the leagues coming up, it will be interesting to see how the WCHA holds up against the NCHC and Big10 out west. Bemidji State is a school that is going to be a little tougher to get hockey players to come to just based on location. It is the same way with the general student population at Bemidji State.

As for the recruits who didn't want to play juniors before starting their college career, what dream world are they living in? Don Lucia at Minnesota is on record the last year or two stating that even the U of Mn needs to go after players that have two years, or in essence, at least 120 junior games, under their belt. Heck, even D-III schools are going after junior players rather than high school players. An 18 year old freshman at a D-I college hockey program is going to have to be **** special to be able to play against 21 year old freshmen that are at North Dakota, Denver, Colorado College and the Minnesota schools. A player who played 25 games his senior year at a Minnesota High School is going to be at a SEVERE disadvantage when it comes to playing D-I college hockey. Are there exceptions, yes, but they are few and far between. But by the time that 18 year freshman becomes a senior, he has only played up to 120 college games (on average) over his first three years. Compare that with a 22 year old who came in as a 21 year old freshman, he has 40 college games under his belt, plus 120 junior games for a total of 160 games. He also has the benefit of two years of development and growing into his body as the junior level.

Serratore's track record is just fine in my book as I feel the Beavers have done very well with the hand they have been dealt. Joining the CHA in 1999-2000, the league did not get an auto bid to the NCAAs until 2003. So basically in ten years of tournament eligibility, the Beavers have four NCAA tournament berths, with a Final Four in 2009 and an at large bid in 2010. There are a TON of schools out there that would love to have that track record over the last 10 years. The Beavers also have one WCHA Final Five berth and a Final Five victory in their three years in the WCHA. I am sure there are a few WCHA schools that would like to say that for the last three years (UNO anyone!).

BSU has landed some very nice players. Andrew Murray, Matt Read to name a couple. Cory Ward looks like he could be one that has an upside. I have heard good things about Phil Brewer as well. Brandon Harms who is coming in next year looks to be a stud, but then again, junior numbers don't always compare well when moving onto the college game. With the nature of the college game the way it is, 100 point scorers don't grow on trees and it takes a special player to reach that level. 70+ points in a college career gets you a pretty good player.
          Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 03-21-2013, 09:03 AM.
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I think everyone knew the transition to the WCHA was going to be difficult, and this was a tough year. There will be a new athletic director(anyone hear anything on the new A.D.?) who will be trying to bring in money, at least that's what it's sounding like. Winning sells more tickets and brings in more money for sure.

I think all coaches should get heat for bad years just like they get praise for good years and sometimes a change up in assistants is good sometimes(like Minnesota dumping John Hill). Minnesota stuck with Lucia through down years, he got a lot of heat, made some staff changes and they're back on top. You don't hear the fire Lucia comments anymore either.

I don't think you let a coach like Serratore go unless you're willing to put the money up to get a really big name. Minnesota State Mankato has had success this season, Michigan Tech is doing better than what they were, but Nebraska-Omaha is pretty much where they were under Mike Kemp.

I don't think Tom Serratore would have much trouble finding a head coaching job if he was fired.

But who knows what will happen when the new A.D. comes, but for now, no reason to fire Serratore after one rough season.
            Last edited by thebrain; 03-21-2013, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Don't fire any Bemidji coach who responds to my emails at 2am and/or takes my phone calls.

GFM <-- loves Serratore
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
              X