The Ultimate CCHA Championship: Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate CCHA Championship: Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan

I'm excited about this line-up for the final edition of the CCHA Championship at Joe Louis Arena. I wouldn't be surprised to see any one of these four teams lifting the Mason Cup for the final time on Sunday. Should be a great weekend of hockey!

CCHA Championship
    Saturday, March 23 - Semifinals

No. 3 Ohio State vs. No. 2 Notre Dame - 1:05 p.m. (FOX Sports Detroit Plus)
    After beating Ferris State, 3-2, at home in a decisive Game Three in the quarterfinals, Ohio State (16-16-7, 13-10-3-1 CCHA) will meet Notre Dame in the semifinals of the CCHA Championship on March 23. The Buckeyes are making their first trip to the CCHA Championship since 2005. The Irish (23-12-3, 17-8-3-2 CCHA) last played in the CCHA Championship in 2011 and punched their ticket to JLA with a home sweep of Bowling Green, 1-0 in overtime and 4-3.

No. 4 Michigan vs. No. 1 Miami - 4:35 p.m. (FOX Sports Detroit Plus)
    Miami beat Michigan State, 4-1, at home in Game Three of their quarterfinal series to earn a spot in the semifinals of the CCHA Championship against Michigan on March 23. The RedHawks (23-10-5, 17-7-4-4 CCHA) won the 2011 Mason Cup playoff title and this is their fourth consecutive trip to the ‘The Joe’ for the CCHA Championship. The Wolverines (17-18-3, 10-15-3-3 CCHA) are riding an eight-game unbeaten streak (7-0-1) and head to the CCHA Championship for the 24th consecutive season after sweeping Western Michigan on the road, 4-3 and 5-1.

Sunday, March 24 - Final – 2:05 p.m. (FOX Sports Detroit)
    Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Re: The Ultimate CCHA Championship: Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan

I am so looking forward to this weekend of hockey. All 4 teams have a real chance at lifting that cup on Sunday afternoon. Even though Miami and Notre Dame have locked up a bid they are playing for seeding, Ohio State and Michigan are playing for their Tournament lives and all of that should make for 2 exciting semi-finals on Saturday.
    Last edited by klbaum1077; 03-18-2013, 11:00 PM.

Comment

This is going to be a stressful weekend of hockey.
      I agree that any of these teams could win it.

I'm sure the CCHA is happy that Michigan made it, as evidenced by giving the highest seed (Miami) the late game on Saturday. Need to pack in the fans.

I've seen a lot of promotions for this weekend at the Joe. Many ticket give aways. What do we think attendance will look like?

Who here is going? I'll be there. If Michigan loses Saturday, I'm not sure if my heart will be recovered enough to go back on Sunday.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

Have to guess bouncy ball at the Palace is going to cut into Michigan's attendance a bit, which is to say to majority of potential fans.

Miami and ND haven't traveled well in years past, and I wasn't around the last time OSU made it to the Joe.

Hoping that the Saturday/Sunday format will allow more Miami fans to make the drive up. At least when I was in school, a lot of students had a tough time getting a group and car together in order make it up in time for the early Friday game, especially with it falling right around mid-terms every year. You'd end up with 1 or 2 people wanting to go, a couple more noncommital and the person with the car having a test.

Not holding my breath, but maybe we'll be better represented than in year's past with more students being free and more grads willing to come since they don't have to take off work. I imagine all of the above will hold true to ND/OSU as well.

At any rate, I'll be there.

Comment

Some of my posse and I will be there. I hope the shindig at the RenCen is more like it was in years past, rather than the last 2 seasons of...well...nothing.
          "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
            Some of my posse and I will be there. I hope the shindig at the RenCen is more like it was in years past, rather than the last 2 seasons of...well...nothing.
            Unless Mr. Pletsch is willing to leave hand over his credit card to the bartender, I wouldn't hold my breath...

I'm off next Saturday/Sunday... Not sure if I want to make the drive from Chicago to Detroit without a dog in the fight though...
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
              The "shindig at the RenCen" is not even taking place this year. It was replaced with the "Legacy Party at Cobo Hall," which has since been relocated to the Olympia Club at JLA. My guess would be that the relocation to JLA was due to lack of interest, but that's most likely a direct result of the CCHA's utter failure to promote the event or provide any means of purchasing tickets other than including it in the "alumni" ticket packages that were once offered (now no longer listed on the site).

Regardless, if you somehow find a way to get tickets to the Legacy Party, you get some appetizers and access to a cash bar. Definitely a far cry from the crazy fun atmosphere of the live band, open-bar RenCen parties of the past. Guess the CCHA decided to go out with a whimper as far as fan experience is concerned. We'll just have to make our own fun.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                Unless Mr. Pletsch is willing to leave hand over his credit card to the bartender, I wouldn't hold my breath...

I'm off next Saturday/Sunday... Not sure if I want to make the drive from Chicago to Detroit without a dog in the fight though...
                Alright, fine! I'll take one for the team and leave my card.

You may be a little disappointed by the limit however

Comment

Just in case anyone needs 'em... Groupon: Up to 52% off tickets to the CCHA Championship Tournament

$22 for lower bowl, $16 for upper bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                    Alright, fine! I'll take one for the team and leave my card.

You may be a little disappointed by the limit however
                    They won't charge the card until the end of the night, so the bar will be disappointed by the limit, not us

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                      This is going to be a stressful weekend of hockey.
                      I agree that any of these teams could win it.

I'm sure the CCHA is happy that Michigan made it, as evidenced by giving the highest seed (Miami) the late game on Saturday. Need to pack in the fans.

I've seen a lot of promotions for this weekend at the Joe. Many ticket give aways. What do we think attendance will look like?

Who here is going? I'll be there. If Michigan loses Saturday, I'm not sure if my heart will be recovered enough to go back on Sunday.
                      I'm going to do my best not to be stressed. I actually calmed down a lot in January with not just lowered expectations, but negative...

So this is pretty nice to be at the Joe for the 24th straight season. Think about that for a second- this is the 42rd championship, right? So over MORE of the second half of the existence of the conference, Michigan was part of the championship weekend. And having joined in the 81-82 season, Michigan has missed the CCHA championsip less than 10 times TOTAL. 24 straight seasons. Just amazing.

That amazing history helps a lot.

Sadly, we are not anticipate attending.

edits- so no predictions from me.

edit2- thanks for starting a thread for the whole weekend. It deserved one.
                      Last edited by alfablue; 03-19-2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Last one there turn out the lights.

Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

If you want to mix & mingle the Awards Show at the Fox is probably the place to do it this year. They're having a social hour to start with what's being called an Afterglow Party at the end going to Midnight. (right when the People Mover shuts down)
                          It's $25.00 a head with appetizers and cash bar and reservations in advance.

Comment

I remember in 2010, there was a fight at fan fest at the Ren with a northern and ferris fan. It was hilarious, they both were clearly drunk.

That's how I'll always remember the ol' CCHA LOL! I seriously am sad though because this weekend was usually the one or sometimes second time in a year I got to see my father. We've been going to these since I was a little kid way back when.

Next year they B1G Tournament (gotta get used to not saying playoffs) will be at the X and it will rotate to Detroit in 2015.
                            ---
                            National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                            Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                            19 Conference Championships
                            10 Conference Tournament Championships
                            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Of course the day after I buy my tickets, there are ads up all over the place for $5 tickets (+ $3 fee, of course) in upper level general admission. Just use promo code "CHAMPS" on Ticketmaster. That code provides some discounted rates for reserved seating, as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X