Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Holy Grail

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Ok- when I get home- for help- what picture posting service does this board like the best? I have picasa that I can send things up to.
    repeating that question- picasa doesn't seem to let you link. suggestions?

Comment

My brother saw it at school in calumet ill have to ask him who brought it though, probably randy mckay
      Huskys all the way

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
        I've been led to believe there are 3 Cups:

1. The original bowl - this one is always in a vault in Toronto under Fort Knox-like security
        2. The Presentation Cup - the Cup that gets awarded at the end of the playoffs
        3. A replica Cup - This one always stays at the HHoF in Toronto

My understanding is the Cup on display at the HHoF is either the Presentation Cup or a replica depending on whether the Presentation Cup is out on business or not.

Can anybody clear this up?
        so are we going to say whether we have been within 10 feet of cups 1, 2 or 3???

I have been within 10 feet of cup number 3, only

Comment

Everyone knows the orgins of the Cup trace back to when one of Stanley's daughters traveling from Regina to Monetreal got sidetracked in a snowstorm and ended up in Biwabik, MN. Ole Swenson found the daughter passed out in a snowbank and brought her into his inn, warming her up by a fire and providing ebelskivers, sardines, lingenberries and rye. When she woke the next morning she noticed a stack of bowls in a glass chest. It drew her attention because they didn't match and changed size and shape from top to bottom. She spent time drawing on a tablet with a clay pencil Ole had provided for her to pass the time until she was well enough to finish her journey. She finally made it home in time that her father used the rendition to commissino a trophy for the first ever Dominion Hockey Challenge. This of course eventually became the official trophy presented to the then championship match between winners from the NHA and PCHA and eventually the NHL. Thus of course like everthing ever in hockey it is forever indebted to the State of Hockey.

Comment

I saw it in the back of Grant Potulny's minivan.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Only 1.

Zdeno Chara is tall, enough that when he's holding it you are not within 10 feet of the Cup. unless you're on a ladder.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
              -Blackadder
              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
              -Casablanca
              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Everyone knows the orgins of the Cup trace back to when one of Stanley's daughters traveling from Regina to Monetreal got sidetracked in a snowstorm and ended up in Biwabik, MN. Ole Swenson found the daughter passed out in a snowbank and brought her into his inn, warming her up by a fire and providing ebelskivers, sardines, lingenberries and rye. When she woke the next morning she noticed a stack of bowls in a glass chest. It drew her attention because they didn't match and changed size and shape from top to bottom. She spent time drawing on a tablet with a clay pencil Ole had provided for her to pass the time until she was well enough to finish her journey. She finally made it home in time that her father used the rendition to commissino a trophy for the first ever Dominion Hockey Challenge. This of course eventually became the official trophy presented to the then championship match between winners from the NHA and PCHA and eventually the NHL. Thus of course like everthing ever in hockey it is forever indebted to the State of Hockey.
                Nicely done. Did she go on to marry a mariucci, by any chance?

Comment

2005 - Grand Forks, ND
                  I was a volunteer usher at the 2005 World Junior Championship at Ralph Engelstad Arena. For a couple days during the tournament the Cup was in the adjacent basketball arena for public viewing (pregame/postgame festivities). In between games (and before doors opened) a few of the other volunteers and I had a chance to view it up close and read the names.

2006 - Grand Forks, ND
                  Former Sioux Mike Commodore won the Stanley Cup with the Carolina Hurricanes and brought it back to Grand Forks. There was small a ceremony at Ralph Engelstad Arena and afterward the Cup was on display in the lobby. There were barricades surrounding it so fans couldn't get too close. I got a picture with it in the background.

2010 - Winnipeg, MB, Canada
                  Former Sioux Jonathan Toews won the Stanley Cup with the Chicago Blackawks and brought it home to Winnipeg. A friend and I made the trip to attend his Stanley Cup parade and the ceremony at the old rink where he used to play. Afterward fans were given the opportunity to either get an autograph OR pose with the Cup. As you can imagine the line was quite long so we just hung around the area. Toews' father eventually carried the Stanley Cup right by us. I also got to see the Conn Smyth Trophy up close.

2010 - Roseau, MN
                  Dustin Byfuglien brought the Cup to his hometown of Roseau, MN a couple weeks after Toews had it in Winnipeg. Once again I decided to make a 2+ hour trek to see the Stanley Cup parade and attend the ceremony at Roseau Ice Arena.

2011 - St. Paul, MN
                  A friend and I attended the 2011 NHL Draft and the Stanley Cup was on dsiplay in the Xcel Energy Center concourse. Fans were given the opportunity pose for photos right next to the Cup.
                  Last edited by MissSioux85; 03-18-2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                    A prize. For something this important there should be a prize.
                    to be announced when?
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      to be announced when?
                      Kind of dropped the ball, didn't I, FF?

The Selection Committee will convene shortly and announce the winners.

Comment

I toured the HHoF in about 1992 or 1993 and saw the cup in its display case there.
                        When the Wild win this year I will visit the cup at the Excell Energy Center.
                        Everyone should make the trip to the HHoF in Toronto quite a experience.
                        Also you should get up to Northern MN in Evelth and visit the US Hockey Hall of Fame they are both worth going to.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          The Selection Committee will convene shortly and announce the winners.
                          You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to burd again.

Nice thread, thanks. My vote is for the infant that was put inside the bowl itself, if you are taking nominations (assuming it is true, that is).
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                          X