the NEW WCHA 2013-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the NEW WCHA 2013-14

With thoughts on the conference championships, NCAA tourney, and the Hobey, wondering about thoughts about the "new" WCHA???
    Ferris and Alaska, Northern and Bowling Green will be good. Look out for Minnesota State and I like the Mel Pearson led Michigan Tech Huskies and Bemidji State gave Minnesota a run for its money this past weekend....should be interesting....

Re: the NEW WCHA 2013-14

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
    With thoughts on the conference championships, NCAA tourney, and the Hobey, wondering about thoughts about the "new" WCHA???
    Ferris and Alaska, Northern and Bowling Green will be good. Look out for Minnesota State and I like the Mel Pearson led Michigan Tech Huskies and Bemidji State gave Minnesota a run for its money this past weekend....should be interesting....
    I agree it should be interesting but what makes you think NMU will be good? They're losing their leading scorer to graduation and their starting goalie is leaving early leaving the only returning goalie a backup who didn't start a game and played roughly 5 periods the whole season...all this from a team that finished 2nd to last in the CCHA, went out with a whimper in the playoffs and went 5-15-1 on the road...

Comment

Heading into next season...Here is my preseason WCHA poll.
      1. Mankato State
      2. Bowling Green (goaltending?)
      3. Ferris State (get by on defense and goalie, not sure about the offense)
      4. Michigan Tech
      5. UAF
      6. Lake State (Not a real exciting team on paper, especially at forward, but goaltending should carry them)
      7. Bemidji State
      8. NMU (Need an injection of talent, recruiting the 20 and 21 year old freshman has not gone too far)
      9. Anchorage
      10. Huntsville

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
        I agree it should be interesting but what makes you think NMU will be good? They're losing their leading scorer to graduation and their starting goalie is leaving early leaving the only returning goalie a backup who didn't start a game and played roughly 5 periods the whole season...all this from a team that finished 2nd to last in the CCHA, went out with a whimper in the playoffs and went 5-15-1 on the road...
        You may wish to check your facts. Matthias Dahlstrom is expected to be the starter for NMU next season. He is highly regarded and spent the year at NMU practicing with the squad while gaining eligibility. Yes, they lose their top scorer, but he is the only one of the top 5 that they lose. Oh...as for whimpers...7-0 at home in game 3. Impressive.
        Last edited by davyd83; 03-18-2013, 12:54 PM.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

It's going to be interesting... Don't have a good feel for any of the CCHA teams really... Starting to look forward to it.

Predictions:
          MTU
          NMU

That's all the matters really
          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            You may wish to check your facts. Matthias Dahlstrom is expected to be the starter for NMU next season. He is highly regarded and spent the year at NMU practicing with the squad while gaining eligibility. Yes, they lose their top scorer, but he is the only one of the top 5 that they lose. Oh...as for whimpers...7-0 at home in game 3. Impressive.
            My apologies, you got me on semantics, I should have said the only returning goalie who stepped on the ice was the backup who played only 103 minutes and didn't start a game...Nothing against Dahlstrom but I think it's safe to say that a team with the situation that heading into a season with a starter who has never played a game in the NCAA (regardless of how highly regarded he may be) and a backup who hasn't played the equivalent of two games could be considered precarious at best when discussing their goaltender situation ( I should know, LSSU will be in the same boat following the next season).

Good point about LSSU getting stomped 7-0 in game 3 of our playoff series, that was embarrassing for sure....Remind me what was the score of game 3 between NMU and U of M??

Comment

Without doing any research, I tossed a few darts at the *H bar and came up with the following:

1. Mankato
              2. Ferris
              3. Tech
              4. BG
              5. UAF
              6. eNeMa U
              7. Bemidji
              8. LSSU
              9. UAA
              10. Huntsville

2-4 and 5-8 I view as being fairly interchangeable.

Comment

1. Mankato
                2. Tech
                3. Alaska
                4. Bowling Green
                5. Ferris
                6. Bemidji
                7. Lake State
                8. Northern Michigan
                9. Huntsville
                10. Alaska-Anchorage
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Without doing any research, I tossed a few darts at the *H bar and came up with the following:

1. Mankato
                  2. Ferris
                  3. Tech
                  4. BG
                  5. UAF
                  6. eNeMa U
                  7. Bemidji
                  8. LSSU
                  9. UAA
                  10. Huntsville

My Predictions:
                  1 - Mankato
                  2 - BSU
                  3 - Michigan Tech
                  4 - Ferris Bueller
                  5 - BG
                  6 - UAF
                  7 - Lake State
                  8 - Northern Michigan
                  9 - UAA
                  10 - Who HATES Huntsville

And I will say top 3 will qualify for the NCAA's
                  If Walsh plays like he did against the U they will be very tough. BSU was much better than their record reflects this year.
                  - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                  Go you Green and White
                  Go Bemidji Beavers
                  Fight with all your might!
                  Rah! Rah! Rah!
                  We are here to cheer you
                  We are out to win your fame,
                  So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                  Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

1. Mankato
                    2. Ferris
                    3. Tech
                    4. BG
                    5. UAF
                    6. eNeMa U
                    7. Bemidji
                    8. LSSU
                    9. UAA
                    10. Huntsville

I have no knowledge of CCHA teams as they don't get any coverage in Minnesota, but I do like the position the Mavericks are going to be in. There are rumors that Stephon Williams is getting looked at to leave early, which would suck to lose the goaltender of the year after his freshman season.

Comment

1. Mankato
                      2. Ferris State
                      3. Bowling Green
                      4. UAF
                      5. Tech
                      6. NMU
                      7. LSSU
                      8. Bemidji
                      9. UAA
                      10. UAH
                      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

My shot in the Dark not knowing much about the CCHA teams....

1. MSU
                        2. Tech
                        3. Ferris
                        4. BG
                        5. BSU
                        6. UAF
                        7. LSSU
                        8. NMU
                        9. UAA
                        10. UAH
                        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

In his book " The signal and the Noise" Nate Silver talks about why most people who prognosticate are totally wrong. Especially those who prognosticate on TV.

So with that in mind maybe it would be better to elucidate about our respective teams a bit since most Wcha fans know little about the ccha teams and vica versa.

I don't know much myself but I do know a little so here's my little and i'd invite other fans to expound on it.

Mankato- Best goalie in the Wcha as a freshman, went over to an up tempo game when Hastings was hired as coach at the end of last year. Have a lot of talent. I don't know how much they are losing, but being Where they are, and with who is coach they will be able to recruit high end players and will be very competitive. they Skate on an olympic rink. Rink seats around 5500 if i'm not mistaken.

MTU- also has gone over to an up tempo game. Has two freshman goalies this year, sophomores next year, both got a good bit of time this year. Also quite a number of skill players, especially underclassmen, with more coming in next year. losing a couple of defensemen but picking up some good ones as well. Will be a better team next year than this year. Tech Skates on an NHL rink, capacity is around 4000 and though the rink has been around, it is in very good shape and is a really good place to watch hockey. Other hockey facilities( weight room, etc) are also very high end and compete with anyone's.

Bemidji- Very good goaltending, and a defensive game, Bemidji has a number of seniors and losing them will hurt to some degree. Bemidji likes to throw the puck up the rink and chase it down hoping to get behind a sleepy defense. Facilities are among the best in the nWcha. Fantastic nhl rink which is almost brand new, seating around 5500 also.They will be tough for any team.

AA- I think they will end up changing coaches this year. Play a defensive style on an olympic sheet. A number of positives going into next year but not as many scorers as they might want. Some good recruits coming in. The jury is out on how well they will do depending on the coaching situation and the amount of money they are willing to spend.

NMU- always in games they do better at home, also have an olympic sheet and swept st cloud in st cloud this year as well as wisconsin. I have no idea why they do poorly away or why they seemingly can't quite put it together.

Ferris- liked their team last year but know very little about this years team. NHL rink, which is quite small. Don't know much about the other facilities. I know they play a defensive style and have been fairly successful in doing so.

LSSU- seems like a jeckyl and hyde team but again I don't follow them closely at all. I believe they are getting some significant upgrades to the rink this year, which is an nhl size sheet. Even though we played them early in the year I don't remember much about the style of play or what they will lose or have coming in.

BGSU- older nhl rink which did get some upgrades recently, fairly new coach and a new positive attitude. losing a senior goalie and the top defenseman. I don't know that much about the incoming class, or the style of play. I was able to watch several of their games on TV and they were quite competitive with the big name schools. They did have some very good wins this year before seeming to fade at the end.
                          Hunstville- know very little except he rink is pretty big and it's warm there.

Alaska Fairbanks- Once again, don't know much, they had a number of good wins mid season and were very close to making the tourney but faded at the end. I suspect they will be a dark horse next year.

One other thing. all these olympic rinks. I think it's an advantage during the regular season, but come ncaa time I think it hurts a team. Things happen a lot faster on an nhl sheet and there is not the time that olympic sheets have. So I think teams with big sheets struggle more in the playoffs because of it. Especially st cloud.
                          Last edited by manurespreader; 03-18-2013, 06:42 PM.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            In his book " The signal and the Noise" Nate Silver talks about why most people who prognosticate are totally wrong. Especially those who prognosticate on TV.

So with that in mind maybe it would be better to elucidate about our respective teams a bit since most Wcha fans know little about the ccha teams and vica versa.

I don't know much myself but I do know a little so here's my little and i'd invite other fans to expound on it.

Mankato- Best goalie in the Wcha as a freshman, went over to an up tempo game when Hastings was hired as coach at the end of last year. Have a lot of talent. I don't know how much they are losing, but being Where they are, and with who is coach they will be able to recruit high end players and will be very competitive. they Skate on an olympic rink. Rink seats around 5500 if i'm not mistaken.

MTU- also has gone over to an up tempo game. Has two freshman goalies this year, sophomores next year, both got a good bit of time this year. Also quite a number of skill players, especially underclassmen, with more coming in next year. losing a couple of defensemen but picking up some good ones as well. Will be a better team next year than this year. Tech Skates on an NHL rink, capacity is around 4000 and though the rink has been around, it is in very good shape and is a really good place to watch hockey. Other hockey facilities( weight room, etc) are also very high end and compete with anyone's.

Bemidji- Very good goaltending, and a defensive game, Bemidji has a number of seniors and losing them will hurt to some degree. Bemidji likes to throw the puck up the rink and chase it down hoping to get behind a sleepy defense. Facilities are among the best in the nWcha. Fantastic nhl rink which is almost brand new, seating around 5500 also.They will be tough for any team.

AA- I think they will end up changing coaches this year. Play a defensive style on an olympic sheet. A number of positives going into next year but not as many scorers as they might want. Some good recruits coming in. The jury is out on how well they will do depending on the coaching situation and the amount of money they are willing to spend.

NMU- always in games they do better at home, also have an olympic sheet and swept st cloud in st cloud this year as well as wisconsin. I have no idea why they do poorly away or why they seemingly can't quite put it together.

Ferris- liked their team last year but know very little about this years team. NHL rink, which is quite small. Don't know much about the other facilities. I know they play a defensive style and have been fairly successful in doing so.

LSSU- seems like a jeckyl and hyde team but again I don't follow them closely at all. I believe they are getting some significant upgrades to the rink this year, which is an nhl size sheet. Even though we played them early in the year I don't remember much about the style of play or what they will lose or have coming in.

BGSU- older nhl rink which did get some upgrades recently, fairly new coach and a new positive attitude. losing a senior goalie and the top defenseman. I don't know that much about the incoming class, or the style of play. I was able to watch several of their games on TV and they were quite competitive with the big name schools. They did have some very good wins this year before seeming to fade at the end.
                            Hunstville- know very little except he rink is pretty big and it's warm there.

Alaska Fairbanks- Once again, don't know much, they had a number of good wins mid season and were very close to making the tourney but faded at the end. I suspect they will be a dark horse next year.

One other thing. all these olympic rinks. I think it's an advantage during the regular season, but come ncaa time I think it hurts a team. Things happen a lot faster on an nhl sheet and there is not the time that olympic sheets have. So I think teams with big sheets struggle more in the playoffs because of it. Especially st cloud.
                            Nice capsules. On minor correction, BSU only seats 4375, can get close to 4500 if the sell standing tickets like they did for the Goofers.
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Hmmm...I wonder what was wrong with this thread
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                              X