PDA

View Full Version : Union Hockey 2012-2013 Part II - See U in AC, But Ultimate Goal Still Lies Ahead

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

Dutchman
04-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Disappointing ending but you have much to be proud of and Quinnipiac is #1 in the USA and well deserved and if we couldn't make it, lets hope they go all the way. Here is what the BC hockey blog had to say about your performance. Coming from the Boston College Hockey Blog, this is quite a tribute. We are all so very proud of what you have accomplished and the outstanding program you have helped to build. You are a class act and have your school, your alumni, your conference and your home town very proud.

And So It Ends
You know, sometimes you just don't have things going your way. Whether it's in the rink, the golf course, or life in general, sometimes things just don't go your way. That is unfortunately what happened tonight in what will be the final game for BC's 6 seniors, including captain Pat Mullane. There really is not a whole lot to say about the game itself. I've been watching BC Hockey for a long time now and I've seen a lot of good teams play against the Eagles and there is no doubt in my mind that the team BC faced tonight could beat anyone in the country. That Union team is phenomenal. They capitalized when they needed to early on and they played stout defense (especially on the PK) for the final two periods. They gave the Eagles some chances on the power play and I thought that if BC could pot one or two before the end of the second they would have a chance. Turned out it just wasn't meant to be as Union's ferocious penalty kill came thorough.

I said it last night and I'll say it again. BC had zero chance of winning that game if they took penalties. Well, the Eagles didn't just take penalties, they took some completely boneheaded ones that had no business being taken. You cannot beat good hockey teams when you give them chances on the PP and when your penalty kill is struggling as bad as BC's was, you have no shot. I think the biggest difference between this time last year and now is that it got to a point a season ago where the Eagles just would not let up a goal on the penalty kill. The last couple of weeks, they just couldn't get any stops when they needed to.

To be honest, this was not about how bad BC played because they ran into one heck of a hockey team tonight. I'd bet a lot of money that Union will go on to win the National Championship. They're that good.

http://thebostoncollegehockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Wholin1
04-01-2013, 08:46 AM
It looked to me as if Union had nothing left in the tank last night. No excuses but perhaps a partial,explanation is the ridiculous start time on Saturday. The boys likely didn't turn in much before 1:00 a.m. Curiously, every team going to the FF played the early game. That being said, full credit to Qpac, they have the complete package, and props to any team that ko's them in Pittsburgh, it will take a huge effort to do so. Beating the reigning champs and the number one team in the country on back to back nights would have been a Herculean effort and accomplishment. I won't let the disappointment of last night diminish the pride and satisfaction taken from what the team accomplished Saturday night and this season.

Thank you and all the best to our departing seniors. They helped raise the bar for Union Hockey and are great student athletes, I wish them nothing but the best in their future endeavors.

Miami Ice
04-01-2013, 10:07 AM
The loss to Quinnipiac can not eclipse the the impressiveness of another great season, the sine qua non of which, if not a national championship, was the victory over BC. That game was Union hockey at its finest. There are fifty some teams with the same aspiration at the beginning of the season. Only a few reach the last rounds of the tournament. There is so much to be proud of at Union, particularly in light of the lesser resources available. Can't wait until October!

DarthBruno
04-01-2013, 10:43 AM
The loss to Quinnipiac can not eclipse the the impressiveness of another great season, the sine qua non of which, if not a national championship, was the victory over BC. That game was Union hockey at its finest.

Chiming in from Brown to second this sentiment. Union played well in taking the ECAC tourney championship from our Bears, but against BC they were absolutely brilliant.

Watching last night's game on TV, I was stunned by the way Quinnipiac (whom we beat in the ECAC semifinal!) dominated your guys. But I know that game did not reflect the best of Union hockey -- just an "off" night at the worst time. It happens to every team.

Your team is a worthy opponent for anyone in any league. See you next year in the now "semi-respectable" ECAC. :)

- Darth

RENCEB
04-01-2013, 12:00 PM
5-2 UnionMy friend Hoky, if you're going to "ho-hum" the ones you get right, you have to at least "own the ones you get wrong.;)

After watching U dismantle BC, I though QU was in for a rough night; Dutchman never got it started and QU played VERY well. Both teams dong the ECAC proud.

Hokydad
04-01-2013, 12:08 PM
My friend Hoky, if you're going to "ho-hum" the ones you get right, you have to at least "own the ones you get wrong.;)

After watching U dismantle BC, I though QU was in for a rough night; Dutchman never got it started and QU played VERY well. Both teams dong the ECAC proud.

Ho bum

Wrong Q team showed up. I thought the slide was tought to reverse, guess not

Coach ran 1 line 80%, unheard of but worked. Jones twins and Pecca were very good all night+. As soon as I saw the pass from WS to SG picked off, I knew it would find its way in the net and that about summed up the night.

Great season by Union, outside that streak of giving up 3rd period leads(which they fixed), and to make it to final 8 again and win ECAC Championship says a lot about the program going forward.

Another year where they did better then RPI also!! A trend that isnt going to change

licwinko
04-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Great season, U! Here's hoping you keep all your youngins' for next season.

Bummer that you were off a step last night. After so many great games in a row I'd have thought you'd run straight through to the Championship game. Also too bad two ECAC teams had to square off before the FF.

Congrats again!

ADK11
04-01-2013, 11:08 PM
It looked to me as if Union had nothing left in the tank last night. No excuses but perhaps a partial,explanation is the ridiculous start time on Saturday. The boys likely didn't turn in much before 1:00 a.m. Curiously, every team going to the FF played the early game. That being said, full credit to Qpac, they have the complete package, and props to any team that ko's them in Pittsburgh, it will take a huge effort to do so. Beating the reigning champs and the number one team in the country on back to back nights would have been a Herculean effort and accomplishment. I won't let the disappointment of last night diminish the pride and satisfaction taken from what the team accomplished Saturday night and this season.

Thank you and all the best to our departing seniors. They helped raise the bar for Union Hockey and are great student athletes, I wish them nothing but the best in their future endeavors.Agree with this 100%!! It was definitely a roller-coaster weekend and I never like to see the season end with a loss (especially to a league rival ;)), but Saturday night pretty much makes up for it. That was the signature big-game incredible win that I never thought I would ever see from a Union team. BC was VERY talented and the game was played at an incredibly high pace.. and U more than held their own and actually dominated at times. I've never been prouder of the program and what the players and coaches have accomplished this season. I don't know if this means that the program has reached a higher level and will stay there, but this kind of win gets the attention of people in the hockey world and can't hurt when it comes to scheduling games with high level teams, recruiting, etc.

I'm not surprised that U had nothing left in the tank after that one, though that is not to take one iota of credit away from Qpac who is also a a very high talent team and was a very tough matchup for U in the best of circumstances this year. Last year U got the benefit of the early game and UML had the short rest after playing OT the night before, and I didn't complain then.. but the NCAA really should look at how to schedule these things so there isn't any question of one team having an advantage before the puck is dropped. Its only a matter of time till one of the late games goes to 2 or 3 OTs and the game the next day is a joke. If bouncy-ball can give a day in between games, I don't see why they can't figure it out for hockey.

Also want to give a vote to this class being the best in U's history.. especially if you consider that it included Jeremy Welsh and Keith Kinkaid. 7 players that all made really big contributions and achieved some incredible things. THANK-YOU!!!

Skate79
04-02-2013, 07:36 AM
The loss to Quinnipiac can not eclipse the the impressiveness of another great season, the sine qua non of which, if not a national championship, was the victory over BC. That game was Union hockey at its finest. There are fifty some teams with the same aspiration at the beginning of the season. Only a few reach the last rounds of the tournament. There is so much to be proud of at Union, particularly in light of the lesser resources available. Can't wait until October!

Some teams just know how to beat other teams. It can be that simple. Quinnipiac really knows how to play you guys and that isn't an indictment of your team or program. It just is. Same as Brown not losing to Quinnipiac this season. Go figure. We beat BU twice this season in the midst of one of the worst seasons in our program's history. Again, go figure.

I don't think you should use the game time and finish as an excuse. You guys dominated BC and had that game won by late in the second period. It's not like you had to go to OT. I think it was more a matter of the Bobcats knowing how to play and beat Union. They are uber talented and it showed on Sunday. Peca is as hard nosed as they come and his motor was running on a different level throughout the game.

I think what you've done with the limited resources you do have is very impressive. It bodes well for the ECAC going forward. And Gostisbehere is a special player. Are you guys worried about losing him to the pros? He looks like he could step in and play right now (I think the announcers said the Flyers own his rights?).

SlyFoxMan7
04-02-2013, 08:46 AM
I heard from a neutral observer that Quinnipiac got away with some stuff in the first period. Some late hits and such then when Union matched that play in the second period, the Quinnipiac players got all *****y about it and of course both of Union's five minute penalties would only be penalties in college hockey where big, scary hits get called as penalties whether they are so or not. But with that said, it didn't look like Union really had their game from the get-go and were missing passes and not handling the puck well. Quinnipiac took advantage of that early and put it out of reach before Union had a chance to steady themselves. I think I'll be rooting for Lowell at the Frozen Four. I don't consider Quinnipiac a real ECAC team and Lowell seems like a nice underdog story that doesn't typically have hockey success.

Wholin1
04-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Some teams just know how to beat other teams. It can be that simple. Quinnipiac really knows how to play you guys and that isn't an indictment of your team or program. It just is. Same as Brown not losing to Quinnipiac this season. Go figure. We beat BU twice this season in the midst of one of the worst seasons in our program's history. Again, go figure.

I don't think you should use the game time and finish as an excuse. You guys dominated BC and had that game won by late in the second period. It's not like you had to go to OT. I think it was more a matter of the Bobcats knowing how to play and beat Union. They are uber talented and it showed on Sunday. Peca is as hard nosed as they come and his motor was running on a different level throughout the game.

I think what you've done with the limited resources you do have is very impressive. It bodes well for the ECAC going forward. And Gostisbehere is a special player. Are you guys worried about losing him to the pros? He looks like he could step in and play right now (I think the announcers said the Flyers own his rights?).I would agree with your conclusions at least as far as this season is concerned but if memory serves, we had a winning record v. Qpac going into the season. That being said, this is not your typical Qpac team. Their run and gun no defense style obviously has gone and they are an all around improved and formidable product. This may be seen as sour grapes, but I sort of understand what SlyFoxMan is getting at also. Qpac's resources in terms of facilities and budget are likely second to none in the ECAC and Union's certainly trail by comparison. I also think they might have an easier time getting some kids into school, but again, this in no way is meant to diminish what they have accomplished and may still accomplish. They are an excellent well-balanced team.

Ghost is a super talent, perhaps the most talented player we have ever seen at Union. Whether he stays four years is anyone's guess, but I am at least hoping that he realizes that he can use another year at least to develop his game and his body for that matter. One plus is that he is still young. Jeremy Welsh's situation last season was a lot different. He had clearly progressed as far as he was likely to at the collegiate level and was 24 years old and was on course to graduate, which he has done. His stock would likely not have risen any higher and when a seven figure contract comes around, it's perhaps foolish not to grab the opportunity.

Wholin1
04-02-2013, 10:49 AM
I started an off season thread for those who are ready to discuss the here before you know it upcoming season. http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?104632-Union-Hockey-Official-off-Season-Thread-Can-U-Three-Peat&p=5698650#post5698650

Goaliefan
04-02-2013, 01:18 PM
I started an off season thread for those who are ready to discuss the here before you know it upcoming season. http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?104632-Union-Hockey-Official-off-Season-Thread-Can-U-Three-Peat&p=5698650#post5698650
Not soon enough . . .:( It was an interesting season - I hate to see it end.