PDA

View Full Version : UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

seawolfpunk
03-17-2013, 09:02 PM
everyone's frustrated with the way the program is going. I am seriously hoping some big time changes are made with the start of the Nwcha.

Seawolf Fan
03-18-2013, 12:44 AM
seems to me your moniker pretty much tells where you're coming from
haven't heard anything positive in any of your posts
too much negativity for my taste
bye

malainse
03-18-2013, 01:27 AM
If there is something to be positive about I, for one, would love to hear it.

drcobbmustgonow
03-18-2013, 02:27 AM
If there is something to be positive about I, for one, would love to hear it.

The Cross-Country and Track and Field Teams are ripping it up with their Kenyan imports! That's really positive...and according to DD, justifies keep the AD at the helm.

seawolfpunk
03-18-2013, 12:00 PM
seems to me your moniker pretty much tells where you're coming from
haven't heard anything positive in any of your posts
too much negativity for my taste
bye

Find some positives out of this season and get back to me. This is a forum, i will say whatever the Hell i want positive or negative, and there has been nothing positive on the ice this year from this team, Shyiak needs to go, and some of the players need to be cut.

uaafanblog
03-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Find some positives out of this season and get back to me. This is a forum, i will say whatever the Hell i want positive or negative, and there has been nothing positive on the ice this year from this team, Shyiak needs to go, and some of the players need to be cut.

And when other people say what they want you'll tell them to "****" right like you did when I criticized the other negative-nancy? Here's some positives ...

Some of the freshman class performed really well ...
Blake Tatchell lead the team in scoring and was literally only a few points behind WCHA forwards who were on the all-rookie team.
Blake Leask likewise wasn't that far off the numbers of the all-rookie WCHA defensemen.
Chris Williams is a stud. His numbers don't reflect it but the guy has all the tools and anyone who can see hockey talent should be able to see that.

The team went to overtime TEN times during the season. They didn't win any games in OT but they only lost two and only two of the other eight OT games were against teams that aren't in the Final Five this week. That speaks to a level of competitiveness even though overall they were outmatched talent-wise against those teams. If you discount the last 4 games of the season then you'll see that the team was only "not in" 6 games over the course of the season. That's certainly nothing to brag about but again it's indicative of being competitive in the vast majority of games that they played. And more than 50% of the 10 top scorers return ... again, none of them had significant numbers but it's something on which one can build.

There are seven (with six very "seasoned") defensemen returning next season. Only Ben Matthews didn't play a significant number of games as a freshman but in my estimation showed poise when he did play. Both goaltenders played exceptionally well at times and both showed more consistency than in either of their first two seasons.

And there's a pretty decent recruiting class coming in. Impossible of course to say that any of the incoming forwards will light it up but there's reason to expect that at least one of them (if not two) should perform at or near the level Blake Tatchell did this season.

Those are all positives. Now how about you expound on your comments and give us your GM expertise on exactly which players should "be cut"?

Jimjamesak
03-18-2013, 04:29 PM
And when other people say what they want you'll tell them to "****" right like you did when I criticized the other negative-nancy? Here's some positives ...
And who did I tell to SierraTangoFoxtrotUniform besides you? Please provide evidence...

Some of the freshman class performed really well ...
Blake Tatchell lead the team in scoring and was literally only a few points behind WCHA forwards who were on the all-rookie team.
Blake Leask likewise wasn't that far off the numbers of the all-rookie WCHA defensemen.
Chris Williams is a stud. His numbers don't reflect it but the guy has all the tools and anyone who can see hockey talent should be able to see that.
That's fantastic, but also try to remember that freshmen can also have bad sophomore seasons. And to be successful you need to have scoring from upperclassmen, if UAA has to rely on freshmen and sophomores to provide scoring, look at the difference from two seasons ago when the scoring leaders were Tommy Grant and Craig Parkinson to these last two seasons, that's a terrible sign.

The team went to overtime TEN times during the season. They didn't win any games in OT but they only lost two and only two of the other eight OT games were against teams that aren't in the Final Five this week. That speaks to a level of competitiveness even though overall they were outmatched talent-wise against those teams. If you discount the last 4 games of the season then you'll see that the team was only "not in" 6 games over the course of the season. That's certainly nothing to brag about but again it's indicative of being competitive in the vast majority of games that they played. And more than 50% of the 10 top scorers return ... again, none of them had significant numbers but it's something on which one can build.
Bolded part is the key. "Did not win any games in OT", hanging your hat on the fact that "you played teams close" is a terrible idea if you actually want to win. The better thing to say is, "that's 10 games we should have won". And if we're discounting up to four games to help the arguement, I get to do it too! If you don't count the four games we won, we lost or tied all the games this season!

There are seven (with six very "seasoned") defensemen returning next season. Only Ben Matthews didn't play a significant number of games as a freshman but in my estimation showed poise when he did play. Both goaltenders played exceptionally well at times and both showed more consistency than in either of their first two seasons.
There are seven returning defensemen next season... from a team that gave up over 3.5 goals a game (3.69 if you'd like specifics). 3. Point. 5. Goals. Per. Game. You want a better statistic? Against opponents from the nWCHA UAA gave up 32 goals, in 10 games. I'm not a mathematician but I'm pretty sure that's 3.2 goals a game. You wanna know where the problems were, look at defense. Now it's a positive that basically the entire defense is returning? Or is this all on Scott Warner?

uaafanblog
03-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Nice response guy.
Trust that this will the last direct interaction between us.

Jimjamesak
03-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Deleting and running again I see...

seawolfpunk
03-18-2013, 05:31 PM
well seems as if i ****ed off the almighty uaafanblog. I'd respond but your not worth my time. all i can say is if you are satifisied with mediocrity and lack of effort by our team, then so be it.

And don't respond i have you on ignore.

cross cheque
03-18-2013, 05:36 PM

Gonna nuke the thread again jdub...uh I mean Donald?

seawolfpunk
03-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Gonna nuke the thread again jdub...uh I mean Donald?

He can't. I created the thread. Good luck in the Final five, unlike certain other posters i will miss seeing UND up here.

cross cheque
03-18-2013, 05:42 PM
He can't. I created the thread. Good luck in the Final five, unlike certain other posters i will miss seeing UND up here.

Very nice of you, hope the ship starts turning for you fine fans.

Alaskana
03-18-2013, 10:22 PM
*Tiptoeing around minefields*

I'm going to try and stay out of the JJAK/DD warzone, but for what it's worth I fully agree that Shyiak needs to go even if it doesn't produce an appreciable change in results (I personally think it will, but that's just me). As it stands, if pitted against our future nWCHA opponents we would still stink up the charts, so I'm not one that wants to wait to see what Shy will do in the nWCHA. IMHO, sometimes change for change's sake is what's needed, even if in name only. I do agree with DD that to *truly* make waves we will most likely need someone with name 'recog' who will most likely cost more than 300k. Having said that, I think a fresh coach of even modest stature with a new take on coaching will still make an appreciable difference. The tough part will be showing quantitatively that said new coach (if they produce newfound success) will have been responsible for that improvement as there are too many new variables that will be introduced via the nWCHA that we may never know what affect a new coach (if it ever comes to be) will have, but again it is my opinion that even a new coach of Shyiak's caliber will cause positive changes that will resonate throughout the Anchorage community and possible serve to re-energize a deeply hurting program.

Oh, and props as well to ND fans here. May we play again soon!

fairbanks hockey puck
03-19-2013, 01:53 AM
300K??? wow maybe $150K???

seawolfpunk
03-19-2013, 01:02 PM

Yeah 150K is more reasonable, they all seem to think we could get Davis Payne or someone like him (won't happen) 150K seems reasonable to get someone (mainly an alum of the program in my opinion) to get things back on track to being competive in this new league. Take a page out of uaf's book and have an almost all alumni coaching staff.

cross cheque
03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Yeah 150K is more reasonable, they all seem to think we could get Davis Payne or someone like him (won't happen) 150K seems reasonable to get someone (mainly an alum of the program in my opinion) to get things back on track to being competive in this new league. Take a page out of uaf's book and have an almost all alumni coaching staff.

I'd be curious to see what the stats are for teams with alumni coaching staffs vs non alumni coaching staffs, alas I have a full time job.

hockeyjunkie10
03-19-2013, 02:32 PM
I'd be curious to see what the stats are for teams with alumni coaching staffs vs non alumni coaching staffs, alas I have a full time job.

Having an all-alumni coaching staff is a pipe dream for 95% of programs, and certainly - in my opinion - wouldn't be in UAA's best interest. For a program to turn around, you need a great staff with no holes, and a huge part of that is in the recruiting component. The problem that UAA has, is you can get a lot of mid-to-upper level coaches who would take a Head job for 110-150k with relative ease. You're not going to get an upper echelon name guy to take that kind of money, but you can get a young, up and comer, or a guy who's had success in junior, something along those lines. The bigger problem in my opinion is to get a great recruiter as an assistant, you're going to need to have a salary of around 75k to lure anyone worth their salt out of Minnesota, Massachusetts, etc. and relocate to Alaska. You'd be hard pressed to get a stud 2nd assistant to come to Alaska for 40k. What ends up happening is the HC takes the job and hires the "best available" guys to come with him and it falls apart in a hurry.

Alaskana
03-20-2013, 06:34 PM

Well, yeah I agree 300K+ would never happen. Not sure what I was thinking that night. :)

UAA08
03-21-2013, 12:08 AM

So I take it that the Sunday pancake breakfast is off?