PDA

View Full Version : UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

seawolfpunk
04-12-2013, 02:20 PM
we got room in the budget for him let's see....... looked up the 2010-2011 budget for UAA hockey $506,054.00
.................................................. ............also looked up the 2010-2011 budget for UAF hockey $1,279,386.00
The University of Alaska Regents are a evenhanded and fair cluster who are looking out for all the students of Alaska ....... just look at the numbers

Where do you get those figures? a link would be nice good sir.

Alaska Hockey
04-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Where do you get those figures? a link would be nice good sir.
http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/index.aspx

Alaska Hockey
04-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Alaska Hockey posted that, and I don't know where his data is from. Only thing I can think of is UAA may not include travel in their hockey budget, but that is a shot in the dark.

Considering that UAA historically has grossed more revenue from athletics than UAF thanks to the GAS and WCHA payouts, one would think their hockey budget would be higher.

Or Cobb spent all the extra money on track and gymnastics.
UAA doesn't budget in “keggers" for the hockey team or bail money for the basketball team.:D
The University Of Alaska Board Of Regents has been brainwashed to think they have to prop up the village of _airbanks with funding for UA_ and keep the UAA Campus unfunded as much as possible. They keep refusing to fund more dorms and student life area’s as much as they can to make the “college experience” as miserable as they can possibly can. They believe if you don’t like it at UAA you should go to the frozen campus in _airbanks.Because they can only hoodwink 5.500 students on main campus up north and don’t like that UAA has 15,000 students attend school at the Anchorage main
campus.
UA_ has dorms for over 1900 students to live in dorms for 5,500 students. UAA has dorms for 950 students to live on campus for 15,000 students.

davyd83
04-12-2013, 03:40 PM
UAA doesn't budget in “keggers" for the hockey team or bail money for the basketball team.:D
The University Of Alaska Board Of Regents has been brainwashed to think they have to prop up the village of _airbanks with funding for UA_ and keep the UAA Campus unfunded as much as possible. They keep refusing to fund more dorms and student life area’s as much as they can to make the “college experience” as miserable as they can possibly can. They believe if you don’t like it at UAA you should go to the frozen campus in _airbanks.Because they can only hoodwink 5.500 students on main campus up north and don’t like that UAA has 15,000 students attend school at the Anchorage main
campus.
UA_ has dorms for over 1900 students to live in dorms for 5,500 students. UAA has dorms for 950 students to live on campus for 15,000 students.if the UAA campus is that bad and the arena and hockey facilities are a negative, why does anyone wonder why they have trouble attracting top recruits?

uaafanblog
04-12-2013, 03:40 PM
If memory serves me correctly the names of applicants for jobs are protected under some privacy provision (quite rightly btw) but at least once in the past the ADN submitted some sort of FOI to have the school release them. The reasoning was a compelling public interest. Is there a compelling public interest that would cause the ADN to do so again this time around?

Naturally, anyone who applied could go public and say they did so. What amount of work Doyle Woody and the ADN will put into this is anyone's guess. Personally, I don't think he decides to write anything about UAA unless there's no other choice.

Note here that the University has the option to re-open the position if they don't find a suitable candidate. One might consider with the DU opening and the Maine opening coming on the heels of Shyiak's departure that it might be in UAA's interest to take some additional time by re-opening and delaying the hiring if that might bring in some candidate that might not have otherwise made today's deadline? I don't know. I sure would like to see an actual list of names ....

Jimjamesak
04-12-2013, 05:48 PM
One thing that is bugging me...someone posted earlier, I think in this thread, the hockey budgets for UAA and UA, and there was a huge difference. How to they justify that? Do they even try? I don't see how UAA can even think of competing when they are put at such a huge disadvantage from the get-go, just compared to the other in-state school. I imagine people have tried to raise holy hell about that already, without much success.
There's a saying at UAA: "UAA gets the students, UAF gets the funding."

It has been, for many years, a point of contention. The UA Board of Regents keeps this going, to the point that supposedly a UAA Chancellor was forced out for questioning it.

mmf
04-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Step out of the 80’s.
The exact opposite is occurring and has been occurring for a couple of decades. Most of the University’s capital money from the state has gone to Anchorage for twenty years. Anchorage has legislative control, has had legislative control, and will continue to have legislative control forever. This dynamic doesn't just impact the University system, but everything in this state. Every place outside of south central is withering on the vine.

UAF’s strength is research and science. It will continue to be turned into a research institution and Anchorage will become the obvious if not the only option for a comprehensive post-secondary education. It already has substantially more students, it's just that it is still mostly a commuter school. It's traditionally weak degree programs have and will continue to improve and Fairbanks, Juneau, and rural campuses will have a tough time competing.

I know you begrudge the funding UAF is begging for to keep their 50 year old coal fired power plant running. It’s kind of ironic. UAF is asking for money to try and stay warm, and UAA fans want money for ice.

FadeToBlack&Gold
04-12-2013, 07:18 PM
If memory serves me correctly the names of applicants for jobs are protected under some privacy provision (quite rightly btw) but at least once in the past the ADN submitted some sort of FOI to have the school release them. The reasoning was a compelling public interest. Is there a compelling public interest that would cause the ADN to do so again this time around?

I'm guessing that "compelling public interest" is interpreted by the court system to apply only in limited circumstances.

Note here that the University has the option to re-open the position if they don't find a suitable candidate. One might consider with the DU opening and the Maine opening coming on the heels of Shyiak's departure that it might be in UAA's interest to take some additional time by re-opening and delaying the hiring if that might bring in some candidate that might not have otherwise made today's deadline? I don't know. I sure would like to see an actual list of names ....

That could be a dangerous game if no one else is interested, as it is likely to pi55 off the best candidate from the first round and he'll tell you to * off, leaving you with your second or third-best choice. However, I agree with you that in the face of two high-profile openings, it might be in UAA's best interest to delay the application period.

uaafanblog
04-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Step out of the 80’s.
The exact opposite is occurring and has been occurring for a couple of decades. Most of the University’s capital money from the state has gone to Anchorage for twenty years. Anchorage has legislative control, has had legislative control, and will continue to have legislative control forever. This dynamic doesn't just impact the University system, but everything in this state. Every place outside of south central is withering on the vine.

UAF’s strength is research and science. It will continue to be turned into a research institution and Anchorage will become the obvious if not the only option for a comprehensive post-secondary education. It already has substantially more students, it's just that it is still mostly a commuter school. It's traditionally weak degree programs have and will continue to improve and Fairbanks, Juneau, and rural campuses will have a tough time competing.

I know you begrudge the funding UAF is begging for to keep their 50 year old coal fired power plant running. It’s kind of ironic. UAF is asking for money to try and stay warm, and UAA fans want money for ice.

And it makes sense for the state's university system to have it's Oceanographic Institute in Fairbanks? Sure I can see Arctic Studies etc there and even Geophysical Sciences etc ... but when the place is a minimum of 400 miles from any ocean and UAA is at most 5 miles from the ocean? Puhlease. And shall we cover a couple of the big capital outlays to go to UAF recently? How much did the "Museum" cost again? 100 million plus? And it's big installation ... an audio room that imagines what the northern lights might sound like whose official name is "The Place Where You Go To Listen"?
http://www.timgrubu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/uaf-museum-of-the-north.jpg
Very nice. Such a great resource for the students ... and by that I of course mean an actual destination for tourists in the summer which provides zero benefit to the students at the university other than some internships etc. I'd bet all of several hundred Fairbanks residents have ponied up the 8 buck admission fee ... cos we all know how culturally active a typical Fairbanks resident is.

Squarebanks
04-12-2013, 09:43 PM
If you are going to argue that the oceanography program shouldn't be at UAF, having it at UAS makes a hell of a lot more sense than UAA. Unless you're a fan of studying mud and quicksand, anyway.

Also, the state had squat to do with the museum expansion. You can thank Bill Gates and the Feds for that one; The Murie Building is the first new state-funded construction at UAF in nearly 20 years, and UAA still tried to torpedo that. Mmf is right: this "Regents favor UAF" argument died a decade or more ago. We are at a point where any major new state-funded construction will have to benefit both schools. UAS is the one that will ultimately get screwed.

And it makes sense for the state's university system to have it's Oceanographic Institute in Fairbanks? Sure I can see Arctic Studies etc there and even Geophysical Sciences etc ... but when the place is a minimum of 400 miles from any ocean and UAA is at most 5 miles from the ocean? Puhlease. And shall we cover a couple of the big capital outlays to go to UAF recently? How much did the "Museum" cost again? 100 million plus? And it's big installation ... an audio room that imagines what the northern lights might sound like whose official name is "The Place Where You Go To Listen"?
http://www.timgrubu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/uaf-museum-of-the-north.jpg
Very nice. Such a great resource for the students ... and by that I of course mean an actual destination for tourists in the summer which provides zero benefit to the students at the university other than some internships etc. I'd bet all of several hundred Fairbanks residents have ponied up the 8 buck admission fee ... cos we all know how culturally active a typical Fairbanks resident is.

mmf
04-12-2013, 09:55 PM
And it makes sense for the state's university system to have it's Oceanographic Institute in Fairbanks?...

Well since the program had its beginnings when ACC was still offering night classes in West High, it’s no wonder. And SFOS is just headquartered in Fairbanks, with other divisions in Seward, Anchorage, Juneau and Kodiak. And that also makes sense because the Fairbanks campus is the statewide university system’s principal research center. There is order in the universe. We will not challenge UAA’s claim to supremacy in “debate.” You guys have always been able to talk a good game. :)

I will quit trolling this thread...I usually just read it for entertainment value, and only jump in when Alaska Hockey besmirches Fairbanks…I know, a rarity. :eek:

Alaska Hockey
04-12-2013, 10:13 PM
My memory is shot. Can't remember if Cobb releases the list of coach applicants. Closes Friday 5pm. Anyone remember if he releases the list?
George Gwozdecky didn't make it. His ego was too hefty to get on the plane and could only be barged up and would take too long to make the interview.:D

seawolfpunk
04-13-2013, 12:24 AM
So according to adn 4 applied for the job

John hill
Campbell Blair
Dennis sorrensen
Mike Corbett

Suze
04-13-2013, 02:26 AM
So according to adn 4 applied for the job

John hill
Campbell Blair
Dennis sorrensen
Mike Corbett

There were rumors that Corbett applied for the DU job?? Hill? Really? Do you honestly think he'd be applying for the job if he hadn't been fired from Minnesota? No way. And remember, his wife really does hate Alaska. And that's not rumor, John's brother told me that.

The ADN said "Johnson said Hill's connection to the Anchorage hockey community can mend fences -- the relationship between UAA and its hockey alumni, for instance, is fractured, according to many former players". Hill didn't help any when he threw UAA under the bus to go back to the Gophers. And he didn't do anything to improve attendance when he WAS here. After his no win season it got so much worse. I can't believe he applied. Personally, I like Blair or Corbett. I wish we had a few more names to choose from though.

uaafanblog
04-13-2013, 03:07 AM
Dennis Sorenson would be my choice.

No disrespect to Mike Corbett but he's just not what UAA needs. UD should hire him.

Campbell has worked hard and certainly deserves consideration but honestly even though he's found quality D-men they just have never put up good defensive numbers. And that was his primary duty. And what really can he bring to the table in terms of the disconnect between local talent and the program? I just don't see him as getting the job.

So with that said, I suspect that it's Hill's job to lose. His departure and the "faux-reasons" he gave at the time can perhaps be overcome if he fesses up honestly to Cobb and I think that he'd get the job. He did throw the program under the bus though when he left. Still though, it's his job to lose. He probably just has to mend the fences he created with Cobb in order to be the guy that Justin Johnson says he can be. If it was me hiring though, Hill wouldn't get the job just because he had it, called it his "dream job" and then left for reasons other than he said publicly.

I hope Dennis gets a reasonable chance from the "search committee" and from Cobb. Dennis has lived in the community since finishing his hockey career. He is the most visible hockey person in town ... I couldn't name anyone more passionate about the local hockey scene or anybody that works harder in the hockey community. He knows talent and obviously can coach or Dimond wouldn't have had the success they have against the larger and typically more talented South High squads. Yes, he doesn't have college hockey experience. He should try to turn that into a positive during the interview process by telling them that his lack of experience is an opportunity for a fresh outlook. This is a guy that if you hired could turn into someone that builds the same success he's had at every other level and become the longest and most winning coach ever at UAA.

Good luck Dennis ... I hope you get the job.

Jimjamesak
04-13-2013, 05:28 AM
I hope Dennis gets a reasonable chance from the "search committee" and from Cobb. Dennis has lived in the community since finishing his hockey career. He is the most visible hockey person in town ... I couldn't name anyone more passionate about the local hockey scene or anybody that works harder in the hockey community. He knows talent and obviously can coach or Dimond wouldn't have had the success they have against the larger and typically more talented South High squads. Yes, he doesn't have college hockey experience. He should try to turn that into a positive during the interview process by telling them that his lack of experience is an opportunity for a fresh outlook. This is a guy that if you hired could turn into someone that builds the same success he's had at every other level and become the longest and most winning coach ever at UAA.

Good luck Dennis ... I hope you get the job.
When Dennis Sorenson meets this...

five years of progressive experience as an NCAA ice hockey coach; a majority of which must be at the Division I level.
Then we can talk about him. He's a high school coach, and not a Phil "I coached the team that won the World Juniors" Housley level one. There is no way he should be considered. If he wants to be an Assistant under the next coach then fine. Head Coach? No.

Suze
04-13-2013, 12:47 PM
When Dennis Sorenson meets this...

Then we can talk about him. He's a high school coach, and not a Phil "I coached the team that won the World Juniors" Housley level one. There is no way he should be considered. If he wants to be an Assistant under the next coach then fine. Head Coach? No.

I agree JJ. And the level of highschool hockey in Alaska can't compare to the level of HS hockey in Minnesota. I think Dennis would make an excellent assistant coach though. I wonder what the qualifications are for that position?

I like what Corbett brings to the table, and he has ties to Alaska as well. Hill? Been there, done that.

Seawolf Fan
04-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Good debate about the candidates who've been identified. Wish we knew who else has applied but haven't been "outed".
Re-opening after the high profile jobs have been filled?? Dicey.
Questions Questions Questions

davyd83
04-13-2013, 02:14 PM
I have a feeling that there are more applicants and those 4 are just those who the ADN has confirmed. Of those four, Corbett would seem to be the best qualified. He's been a part of a successful program. Has worked that time for a very well regarded coach and has the recruiting network and experience. Hill had a .303 winning percentage in his first go round. What would convince anyone that it would be any better this time? And his previous departure leaves questions as well. Sorenson is a high school coach. How long would it take him to build a good recruiting network, to build relationships at the junior levels? Would he be able to attract a top flight, experienced assistant to assist? Blair has coached the defense that finished dead last in the WCHA the past two seasons, more than a half goal per game worse than the next to last club. Hopefully for UAA the poo; is much deeper than this.

Corbett, by the way was not a finalist at Denver. Seth Appert, Derek Lalonde, Jim Montgomery and Greg Brown will all have interviewed by the end of the day today. LaLonde is also expected to be in the mix at Rennsalaer if DU chooses Appert, while Montgomery will interview with Maine as well.

Seawolf Fan
04-13-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't know Mr. Sorensen. Have only read about him in the ADN.
If he teaches at Dimond in addition to coaching, he probably wouldn't want the cut in pay being an assistant would require.
Not knowing him, I have no idea if his ego would tolerate being an assistant.
If successful how long will any new coach stick around?
Anybody who makes this program a winner will have job offers too good to refuse from schools who will pay substantially more.