PDA

View Full Version : UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51

Jimjamesak
08-14-2013, 11:39 PM
I'll call you "Anchorage" if y'all call us "Huntsville".

GFM
Deal.

gfmorris
08-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Deal.

They may not like it, but I'm calling them Fairbanks because the only UA in my neck of the woods chews up football national titles like a well-oiled machine. Of course, I call them UAT ...

GFM

seawolfpunk
08-15-2013, 01:58 AM
They may not like it, but I'm calling them Fairbanks because the only UA in my neck of the woods chews up football national titles like a well-oiled machine. Of course, I call them UAT ...

GFM

So is it roll tide or war eagle town in Huntsville ?

Jimjamesak
08-15-2013, 03:36 AM

GFM
Even better. They will never be Alaska to me.

gfmorris
08-15-2013, 10:46 PM
So is it roll tide or war eagle town in Huntsville ?

70/30 UA/AU This is a strong engineering town, and there are a lot of Auburn alumni up here, but there are a lot of BAMA fans. I like to make fun of them. I come from an Auburn family on my mom's side (no alumni) with one cousin who was a star WR at Alabama in the 90s (Craig Sanderson). My dad's side is all Mississippi State people (Dad has two degrees from Starkville). My brother went to Southern Miss when they were relevant as a football school. UAH football is still undefeated. I don't follow the sport at the college or pro levels.

GFM

revfnb
08-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Article on the new freshmen hockey players: http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58450&SPID=6373&DB_LANG=C&CONTENT_ID=%23temp_CONTENT_ID&ATCLID=209159660&DB_OEM_ID=13400
Hopefully they can bring their scoring touch to Division 1 hockey.

bigblue_dl
08-16-2013, 07:25 AM
I don't follow the sport at the college or pro levels.Would you say that you're one of 3 or 4 people in the entire state of Alabama that could say that with a straight face?

Wolfman
08-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Was reading about the Anchorage Olympic committee looking at possibly bidding for the 2026 olympics in Anchorage. I think that since we lost an awesome athletic director at UAA, 2026 would be a realistic chance of us getting an ice arena on campus for the olympic ceremonies. I really feel our hockey team now will be in the Sullivan Arena unless we successfully get the games in 2026. If Anchroage does bid for the games and we win, a new arena would be built I figure by 2024 which is about 10 years from now.

So, I am hoping Anchorage gets the games so we can get a new hockey arena on our campus.

gfmorris
08-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Would you say that you're one of 3 or 4 people in the entire state of Alabama that could say that with a straight face?

Nah, there's plenty of people here who don't care. They're just not vocal about it. The only football games I watched last year were the first half of Miss. State @ Alabama (was hoping for the upset) and the Super Bowl. I think I caught a few minutes of a few random games in bars. So slow. Give me hockey.

GFM <— would be interested to see an Olympics in Anchorage, but there'd need to be a lot of money thrown at the idea.

Suze
08-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Was reading about the Anchorage Olympic committee looking at possibly bidding for the 2026 olympics in Anchorage. I think that since we lost an awesome athletic director at UAA, 2026 would be a realistic chance of us getting an ice arena on campus for the olympic ceremonies. I really feel our hockey team now will be in the Sullivan Arena unless we successfully get the games in 2026. If Anchroage does bid for the games and we win, a new arena would be built I figure by 2024 which is about 10 years from now.

So, I am hoping Anchorage gets the games so we can get a new hockey arena on our campus.

I hope they don't get the bid for the Olympics, I don't think Anchorage has the infrastructure for it. Most cities who want the Olympics start building facilities before hand just to show they are a viable choice. What would they do with a louge after the Olympics were over? And all of the other venues that would have to be built? Anchorage doesn't take care of what they have now!

BTW, you have been convinced for a long time that UAA would get ice on campus, that it was in the works. What changed your mind?

thesullysucks
08-17-2013, 02:07 AM
Jeezzzzzzz! Follow the money!!!!
Olympics
Do any of you actually believe the Olympics are comeing to Anchorage or a combined State of Alaska?
What are you smoking?
Get real!
This is about "forming committees", financing "studies", all the other things that can direct money to the right people on another "failed" bid.
You don't remember his majesty mystrom a couple of years back?
This is the same money grab on steroids.
Look at my moniker...thesullysucks
But it'll look much better and be more functional in 15 years? Ha Ha Ha what a laugh
And it's a luge track, raceway, whatever it's called that we need? where? Carl Eide, Alyeska, Arctic Man ???
With the people running this circus there won't be a hockey rink at UAA it will be an ice skating arena.
These clowns are pulling the wool over your whole head not just your eyes. They'll plunder whatever state funds the can wrangle and institute whatever tax the can to pay their buddies for a lot of nonsense.
The Olympics are not comeing to Alaska!!!!!!

Wolfman
08-17-2013, 07:08 PM
I hope they don't get the bid for the Olympics, I don't think Anchorage has the infrastructure for it. Most cities who want the Olympics start building facilities before hand just to show they are a viable choice. What would they do with a louge after the Olympics were over? And all of the other venues that would have to be built? Anchorage doesn't take care of what they have now!

BTW, you have been convinced for a long time that UAA would get ice on campus, that it was in the works. What changed your mind?

Suze, we would have had our hockey arena much sooner. However, now that Dr. Cobb is gone, the people with power and money who could have gotten us an on-campus arena are gone. They do not support how UAA handle the firing of Dr. Cobb. So, now they are gone. So, I really think the Olympics would be our last hope in an on campus arena. But, I know you are happy that Dr. Cobb is gone, so hope you like the sully even longer.

Suze
08-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Suze, we would have had our hockey arena much sooner. However, now that Dr. Cobb is gone, the people with power and money who could have gotten us an on-campus arena are gone. They do not support how UAA handle the firing of Dr. Cobb. So, now they are gone. So, I really think the Olympics would be our last hope in an on campus arena. But, I know you are happy that Dr. Cobb is gone, so hope you like the sully even longer.

I'm not so sure about that, one of those very influential persons is on the committee to find a new AD, at least according to channel 2 news a couple weeks ago. Doesn't sound like they are "gone".

Wolfman
08-18-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm not so sure about that, one of those very influential persons is on the committee to find a new AD, at least according to channel 2 news a couple weeks ago. Doesn't sound like they are "gone".

Suze they are gone. This is what you all wanted. So, it is what it is. Hope you are happy.

kamariek
08-18-2013, 02:55 AM
There are a lot of people who have very strong feelings about what happened during this off-season. I have hopes that the dust will settle with Thomas's hire but my personal belief is that any inroads that were made towards an on campus ice were blockaded with events during this summer. There are a lot of special interests in the Seawolf world with their own favorite sports. I have my favorite, I haven't missed a hockey game in the past 15 years-we even made it to St Paul when UAA beat Minnesota to make the WCHA playoffs. We renewed for all the sports ranging from hockey to basketball to gymnastics (yep, our other division one sport). I like and want to support college sports and renewed again because I am a Seawolf fan. As Cobb said so often, it is a great day to be a Seawolf.

malainse
08-18-2013, 08:53 AM

I'm sorry, but like most of the claims you have made about the arena through the years this is laughable.

Pink Pony
08-18-2013, 09:23 AM
There are a lot of people who have very strong feelings about what happened during this off-season. I have hopes that the dust will settle with Thomas's hire but my personal belief is that any inroads that were made towards an on campus ice were blockaded with events during this summer. There are a lot of special interests in the Seawolf world with their own favorite sports. I have my favorite, I haven't missed a hockey game in the past 15 years-we even made it to St Paul
when UAA beat Minnesota to make the WCHA playoffs. We renewed for all the sports ranging from hockey to basketball to gymnastics (yep, our other division one sport). I like and want to support college sports and renewed again because I am a Seawolf fan. As Cobb said so often, it is a great day to be a Seawolf.

Good to see.

Alaska Hockey
08-18-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm sorry, but like most of the claims you have made about the arena through the years this is laughable.
Yea ...laughable to you.......... but so true. The people who would of got it done, are done.

ninelives
08-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Yea ...laughable to you.......... but so true. The people who would of got it done, are done.

if these "people" were committed to getting it done (new ice arena) before, they should still be committed now, no matter who the AD is. One person doesn't make the program..... Let's not sink the ship before it sails.....

Alaska Hockey
08-19-2013, 01:39 AM
if these "people" were committed to getting it done (new ice arena) before, they should still be committed now, no matter who the AD is. One person doesn't make the program..... Let's not sink the ship before it sails.....
I think they are going to step aside and let Darryl Thompson and Ashley Reed get it done.