PDA

View Full Version : UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Alaska Hockey
07-27-2013, 03:22 PM
It looks like more Eastern players going to UAA
It is tough to get players to stay and play for the "home team" when they have lived their whole life in Alaska. Most want to drink beer in somebody elseís back yard. It is a big plus if they do and want to remain in Alaska after college because their faces will be in the newspaper for 4 years as a player at UAA or UA_ and that will help out getting a good job in their field of study if they take advantage of it.

Alaska Hockey
07-27-2013, 03:28 PM
well its official. Josh Ciocco is our 2nd assistant coach.

http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13400&ATCLID=208687489
It's a great day to be a Seawolf. Wecome aboard Coach Ciocco.

Pink Pony
07-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Of those qualified persons who would improve the local recruit paradigm, who would have been your choice? Who either applied or expressed interest in the position? Who has the experience and network outside Alaska?

Steve MacSwain-The Alaska hockey legend

Pink Pony
07-28-2013, 07:45 AM
It is tough to get players to stay and play for the "home team" when they have lived their whole life in Alaska.

Hopefully this will change over time as a kid from Boston wants to play for BC or kid from St Paul wants to play for the Gophers or kid from Detroit wants to play for UM.

The Alaska kids need to want to stay and represent the home state.

uaafanblog
07-28-2013, 05:08 PM
I am impressed with this hire. Especially when you look at what he has done since he stopped playing pro hockey. I disagree strongly with your (uaafanblog) that "the local recruit paradigm ... drove the latest kerfuffle."

The alums have been ****ed for years that local kids haven't been a focus of recruiting efforts. Of course it was a driver in letting Shyiak go and the subsequent Cobb debacle. How you don't see that they were driving the bus escapes me.

uaafanblog
07-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Of those qualified persons who would improve the local recruit paradigm, who would have been your choice? Who either applied or expressed interest in the position? Who has the experience and network outside Alaska?

Corey Millen
Dennis Sorenson

And by the way this was not a public search (which is fine with me). I clearly said Thomas has a right to hire who he wants. Just as I have every right to critically evaluate his decision.

Alaska Hockey
07-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Corey Millen
Dennis Sorenson

And by the way this was not a public search (which is fine with me). I clearly said Thomas has a right to hire who he wants. Just as I have every right to critically evaluate his decision.
Sorenson's kid is at Michigan state, so much for following Dad.

Alaska Hockey
07-28-2013, 05:44 PM
The alums have been ****ed for years that local kids haven't been a focus of recruiting efforts. Of course it was a driver in letting Shyiak go and the subsequent Cobb debacle. How you don't see that they were driving the bus escapes me.
The Alums have a lot of coaching positions as head or asst. coach from house leagues to the comp teams in anchorage and the Valley. I thank them for giving back to Hockey in Anchorage Ö.But they are in the forefront to point the kids to go to UAA and havenít done a good job of getting to get kids to go to Alaska Schools. It takes everybody to guide the players to stay home, Coaches. Parents, Fans ,and Former Players.
Even the fat guy who says he loves UAA enough to badger the Governor to fire personal has his kid skating outside.

seawolfpunk
07-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Corey Millen
Dennis Sorenson

Corey Millen is a head coach for an nahl squad, and sorenson is not going to take a pay cut from his teaching job to be an assistant coach.

Would it be nice to get a alum or local guy as a assistant? Yes it would have but it didn't happen. Time to move on

Pink Pony
07-29-2013, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=Alaska Hockey;5753921Even the fat guy who says he loves UAA enough to badger the Governor to fire personal has his kid skating outside.[/QUOTE]

Someone has to take charge of Alaska hockey. History has shown many kids with talent go away.

davyd83
07-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Corey Millen
Dennis Sorenson

Did either apply? Did either express interest? Do both meet all qualifications? Would both accept the salary available?

Jimjamesak
07-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Did either apply? Did either express interest? Do both meet all qualifications? Would both accept the salary available?
No, no, and no. Just Donald's wishful rambling.

MaizeRage
07-29-2013, 02:08 PM
They really should have hired Davis Payne as the new assistant.

Alaska Hockey
07-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Someone has to take charge of Alaska hockey.
Many have tried, no one has succeeded. Only one to come close was when mmf loaded his purse with rocks and sucker swung it at me while UAA was pounding UA_ at the Beluga Rink. He came close but my custom Coach Man Handbag saved the day.:D

davyd83
07-29-2013, 03:18 PM
They really should have hired Davis Payne as the new assistant.Because the University can pay a hockey coach whatever it wants! :D:eek:

camilo
07-29-2013, 07:02 PM
This stuff about hiring a local assistant to improve local recruiting is just not very thoughtful, imho.

Local kids - no matter what state they're in - have no desire to play locally for a team that is in disarray, has poor coaching and is awful on the ice. It has nothing to do with the charisma or historic local connection of the coach. It has everything to do with the quality of the program and how it will serve the interests (hockey and otherwise) of the kid.

IF (big if) the new coach starts doing something of quality with the level of talent he has to work with, local kids will be easier to attract. This is true for any second tier college team. Some top tier teams like the Boston, the bigger Michigan teams and the Goofs will have a natural attraction to local kids even in down years. Just because they have such long term quality, it perseveres over down years.

Alaska Hockey
07-29-2013, 07:15 PM
They really should have hired Davis Payne as the new assistant.
And have Goz come on as a "volunteer “Asst. Coach so as it won’t screw up his unemployment checks.:rolleyes:

uaafanblog
07-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Because the University can pay a hockey coach whatever it wants! :D:eek:

It shows exactly how uncommitted the school still is to bringing the program back. Had they been committed to the program they would have spent an amount similar to what the consistent top ten teams spend. But once again they decided to spend a slight bit more and cross their fingers.

You get what you pay for in the world of college hockey generally. If they get lucky with Thomas then good on them, time will tell.

Alaska Hockey
07-30-2013, 01:34 AM
This stuff about hiring a local assistant to improve local recruiting is just not very thoughtful, imho.

Local kids - no matter what state they're in - have no desire to play locally for a team that is in disarray, has poor coaching and is awful on the ice. It has nothing to do with the charisma or historic local connection of the coach. It has everything to do with the quality of the program and how it will serve the interests (hockey and otherwise) of the kid.

IF (big if) the new coach starts doing something of quality with the level of talent he has to work with, local kids will be easier to attract. This is true for any second tier college team. Some top tier teams like the Boston, the bigger Michigan teams and the Goofs will have a natural attraction to local kids even in down years. Just because they have such long term quality, it perseveres over down years.
No...... The Alaska players("the blue chipper's") all just love to go to big school's outside just to screw a local kid out of playing for his dream team.:eek:

Seawolf Fan
07-30-2013, 01:34 AM
On this subject probably the best thought out post I've seen.