PDA

View Full Version : UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
07-16-2013, 02:02 AM
Wow, thank you for sharing that CHRR! Nothing locally has even been released about the hire... you beat them all to it! ~ :)

Thanks. I posted it on twitter but for those here that don't have twitter, new UAA assistant Josh Ciocco played for new UAA head coach Matt Thomas during 07-08 season for the Fresno Falcons in the ECHL.

Alaska Hockey
07-16-2013, 02:51 AM
Story on new UAA assistant Josh Ciocco
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2013/7/15/4526920/alaska-anchorage-hockey-coach-matt-thomas-josh-ciocco-assistant-wcha-ncaa-uaa-seawolves
Thanks and wecome Seawolf Coach Ciocco.

Alaska Hockey
07-16-2013, 02:54 AM
I thought she cut ties with the program.
No her check book cut ties with UAA.

uaafanblog
07-16-2013, 03:00 AM
Absolutely nothing about this hire is remarkable. Jindra has more experience and that isn't saying much. If there are 120 assistant D1 coaches, I'd venture a guess that 119 of them have better resumes than Josh frigging Ciocco.

He was a nice player at UNH but that doesn't necessarily translate to being a good recruiter or even a good person to run a practice.

I'll grant that Coach Thomas can hire whoever he wants and that his staff should be people that he can work with. ... But that aside ... Thomas had a chance here to bolster the standing of the program locally and this doesn't further that important goal. He better now be fully prepared to do ALL the local recruiting.

Far from an impressive first move from our new Head Coach.

AlaskaRox
07-16-2013, 04:16 AM
Absolutely nothing about this hire is remarkable....

:rolleyes:

You were toying with becoming a gopher's fan, so there's always that option.

As for us.. we'll be fine, thank you. :p

uaafanblog
07-16-2013, 04:48 AM
:rolleyes:

You were toying with becoming a gopher's fan, so there's always that option.

As for us.. we'll be fine, thank you. :p

Don't like critical analysis from someone who has literally dedicated thousands of hours writing about the program over the last decade and who has spent **** near 1100 hours at the Sully watching the team over the last 29 years then I'd suggest you choose one of three options:

A: Put me on ignore ...
B: Counter my analysis with something substantive, relevant and/or enlightening ...
C: Stick to being on the Aces bandwagon ...

As for me; ill comment as I choose and as I feel the situation warrants without regard for shallow thinking fans such as you.

hockeyjunkie10
07-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Don't like critical analysis from someone who has literally dedicated thousands of hours writing about the program over the last decade and who has spent **** near 1100 hours at the Sully watching the team over the last 29 years then I'd suggest you choose one of three options:

B: Counter my analysis with something substantive, relevant and/or enlightening ...

As for me; ill comment as I choose and as I feel the situation warrants without regard for shallow thinking fans such as you.

I won't do A, I don't care about C, but I'll take a stab at B. Go on USHR and read Josh Ciocco's scouting notes on players throughout North America that he has evaluated. While the article posted in this thread regarding his hire points to his coaching experience being at Milton Academy, that's not why he's hired. Sure UAA needs to keep Alaska kids, but you aren't going to fill out an entire WCHA roster with Alaska kids. Ciocco has proven to have a great eye for talent, on top of which he has the guts to print what he believes on a site followed religiously by countless NHL scouts, NCAA and junior coaches. He also evaluates younger players than a typical college coach would, so not only does he know the top players in the here and now, he knows whats coming next. Furthermore, with USHR he's been able to build a network with all of the aforementioned coaches and scouts which will help him in this next endeavor.

During the HC search, you advocated for an "outside the box" hire...you got it in the AC search and I promise this will be a sneaky great hire for UAA.

Snively65
07-16-2013, 10:15 AM
I think that you guys will be very pleased with Josh. For the past couple of years, he has provided lots of great insights under his real name on the UNH thread.

uaafanblog
07-16-2013, 03:26 PM
I won't do A, I don't care about C, but I'll take a stab at B. Go on USHR and read Josh Ciocco's scouting notes on players throughout North America that he has evaluated. While the article posted in this thread regarding his hire points to his coaching experience being at Milton Academy, that's not why he's hired. Sure UAA needs to keep Alaska kids, but you aren't going to fill out an entire WCHA roster with Alaska kids. Ciocco has proven to have a great eye for talent, on top of which he has the guts to print what he believes on a site followed religiously by countless NHL scouts, NCAA and junior coaches. He also evaluates younger players than a typical college coach would, so not only does he know the top players in the here and now, he knows whats coming next. Furthermore, with USHR he's been able to build a network with all of the aforementioned coaches and scouts which will help him in this next endeavor.

During the HC search, you advocated for an "outside the box" hire...you got it in the AC search and I promise this will be a sneaky great hire for UAA.

Here the deal .... We no longer have the coach or AD we had in large part as a response to the programs inability to land a single elite level player from the area. It is more complicated than that but the geographical issues that are part of UAAs challenges are partially redressed by keeping some Alaska grown talent.

The ability to spot talent is not a rare commodity.

Again, Thomas has every right to hire who he wants. The proof will be in the results. A local alum as an Assistant would have given him a leg up in landing local players (a small but important key to building the program).

Thomas can overcome that by doing it all himself since its pretty clear to me that the community responded very positively to Thomas' hiring.

Part of what remains to be seen in this is what happens with Jindra after this season? I'd tend to think he should be polishing his interview skills and building contacts as he's likely one and done.

Overall, my point is that hiring Ciocco doesn't advance solutions to any one of the myriad problems this new Coach faces as far as I can see.

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
07-16-2013, 03:32 PM
I have no relationship with Josh Ciocco except for having respect for his professional abilities. Just to put that out there so know one thinks I'm tooting his horn because of a friendship or any other allegiance with him. I also did not go to UNH. What I will say is he has become very well respected in the scouting community and has a good eye for talent. Furthermore, imagine if no one ever gave Bill Belichick a chance? Think about it. Everyone has to start somewhere. Have a little faith in this being a good hire. Sometimes just hiring a local alum just to hire an alum doesn't make sense. Often times you don't get the best qualified candidate and I hate to break it to you, but UAA is going to need to scour AJHL and BCHL for talent if they want to win in the WCHA.

uaafanblog
07-16-2013, 03:43 PM
I hate to break it to you, but UAA is going to need to scour AJHL and BCHL for talent if they want to win in the WCHA.

Gee ... I really wish someone had pointed out that important piece of the UAA recruiting puzzle before now.

NorthernLite
07-16-2013, 03:43 PM

I think your thousands of hours of dedication to this program, in time, and in print ...........gives you good cause to long for what you perceive is the best possible candidate.

However, the program you have dedicated heart and soul to, is a bit of a "bowser"..... in most worlds .... and not one that is going to attract a long list of candidates with the "looks" you believe "she's" worthy of.

This new Coach, who has gone all in to bring respectability to the program you love, is surrounding himself with people who have decent qualifications that he knows and trusts. So really everything that is happening to your program is "remarkable".

If I were you, I'd try to find some positives to support this Coaching Staff, because there's only one direction this program can go. I hope the Seawolves enjoy success this season.

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
07-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Gee ... I really wish someone had pointed out that important piece of the UAA recruiting puzzle before now.

You're the one griping about UAA not recruiting well in Alaska. Recruit all the Alaska kids you want. UAA won't be good unless it gets the majority of its roster from BCHL and AJHL and good players from those leagues.

uaafanblog
07-16-2013, 04:12 PM
You're the one griping about UAA not recruiting well in Alaska. Recruit all the Alaska kids you want. UAA won't be good unless it gets the majority of its roster from BCHL and AJHL and good players from those leagues.

Understanding sarcasm isn't one of your strong points.

uaafanblog
07-16-2013, 04:14 PM
I think your thousands of hours of dedication to this program, in time, and in print ...........gives you good cause to long for what you perceive is the best possible candidate.

However, the program you have dedicated heart and soul to, is a bit of a "bowser"..... in most worlds .... and not one that is going to attract a long list of candidates with the "looks" you believe "she's" worthy of.

This new Coach, who has gone all in to bring respectability to the program you love, is surrounding himself with people who have decent qualifications that he knows and trusts. So really everything that is happening to your program is "remarkable".

If I were you, I'd try to find some positives to support this Coaching Staff, because there's only one direction this program can go. I hope the Seawolves enjoy success this season.

Find someone online that has been more positive about UAA over the last decade and then get back to me.

C-H-C
07-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Absolutely nothing about this hire is remarkable. Jindra has more experience and that isn't saying much. If there are 120 assistant D1 coaches, I'd venture a guess that 119 of them have better resumes than Josh frigging Ciocco.

He was a nice player at UNH but that doesn't necessarily translate to being a good recruiter or even a good person to run a practice.

I'll grant that Coach Thomas can hire whoever he wants and that his staff should be people that he can work with. ... But that aside ... Thomas had a chance here to bolster the standing of the program locally and this doesn't further that important goal. He better now be fully prepared to do ALL the local recruiting.

Far from an impressive first move from our new Head Coach.

I'm confident you'll be pleasantly surprised with Ciocco's eye for talent and ability to motivate and relate to young players. UAA will be a stepping stone for him.

Jimjamesak
07-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Find someone online that has been more positive about UAA over the last decade and then get back to me.
Positivity is not important. *********gedness is what annoys us. And you sir, are the King of *********gedness.

malainse
07-17-2013, 03:44 AM
Well it's nice to see we are back to ****ing all over each other. Things feel quite normal again.

Wayfarnorth
07-17-2013, 11:21 AM
How is Ciocco pronounced?

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
07-17-2013, 11:27 AM
How is Ciocco pronounced?

See-ahh-Kow (sorry if I'm not perfect at that, but just to give you a general idea)