PDA

View Full Version : UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Alaska Hockey
06-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Funny thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago and I actually thought about you Suze during the conversation I had! I was in a business lobby downtown and our illustrious mayor walks in and sits down a few seats away from me. First time I've met Dan Sullivan, but I figured.. how often does something like this happen? So I walked up to him and here's exactly how the conversation went:

DS: People don't care about esthetics, they care more about the structure.
me: Well, the place needs a facelift.
DS: The seats are in great shape.
me: ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Those ugly yellow seats are tattered and filthy!
DS: I sit in the red seats.
me: I'll bet you sit in the blue seats.
DS: No, I'm in row (blah, blah, blah) in the red seats. (He gave me his row and seat numbers)
me: When's the last time you looked at the yellow seats up close?

Anyway, I figure I got the guy flustered enough.. so I walked off. I honestly did think about you though when I was asking him about the glass!!

Yellow Seats……….. How about the folding chairs that are in the Arena ? they are the same one’s that were put in 1983 nice foam seats what feel like a 40 year old pancake. Sad sad
Btw Dan probably still sits in his Dad’s seats and uses Dad’s “Golden Pass” to get in free

Seawolf Fan
06-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Lot of hockey gets played at Dempsey.
Wonder how much of the $7,000,000 will get spent there?
Anyone have an idea of what new glass at Sully would cost?
What office did he file to run for (the tennis player not the oil company employee)?
Just wondering.

AlaskaRox
06-30-2013, 04:04 PM
What office did he file to run for (the tennis player not the oil company employee)?
Just wondering.

None of it will be spent on improvements that have anything to do with hockey if Mr. Dan Sullivan gets his way.

The article states - "The money was originally intended to support renovations to aging facilities like the Dempsey-Anderson Arena, Sullivan Arena and the Ben Boeke Ice Arena."

http://www.adn.com/2013/06/29/2958508/city-tennis-project-raises-concerns.html#storylink=cpy

When it comes to hockey, Dan Sullivan reminds me of Steve Cobb. Sullivan with his tennis, Cobb with his basketball.

No offense to Cobbleheads. :rolleyes: But they are two of a kind.

seawolfpunk
06-30-2013, 04:49 PM
In answer to your question seawolfan, Sullivan is running for lieutenant governor.

Alaska Hockey
06-30-2013, 04:58 PM
None of it will be spent on improvements that have anything to do with hockey if Mr. Dan Sullivan gets his way.

The article states - "The money was originally intended to support renovations to aging facilities like the Dempsey-Anderson Arena, Sullivan Arena and the Ben Boeke Ice Arena."

http://www.adn.com/2013/06/29/2958508/city-tennis-project-raises-concerns.html#storylink=cpy

When it comes to hockey, Dan Sullivan reminds me of Steve Cobb. Sullivan with his tennis, Cobb with his basketball.

No offense to Cobbleheads. :rolleyes: But they are two of a kind. You forgot The Guy who let his members out to dry and the Fat guy they don't care either. Not a peep what so ever.

Seawolf Fan
07-01-2013, 12:28 AM
In answer to your question seawolfan, Sullivan is running for lieutenant governor.
Running for office he may be amenable to tossing a bone to "the hockey community".
New glass at the Sully. Some rehabilitation and (God forbid) upgrades to Dempsey and Boeke.

AlaskaRox
07-01-2013, 03:25 AM
Running for office he may be amenable to tossing a bone to "the hockey community"

He'll be in a primary with Lesil McGuire, right? I've never seen her at a Seawolves game, but she's definitely at a lot of Aces games. Come to think of it.. the only time I've seen Dan Sullivan at a game was when the Aces were playing. :rolleyes: Then again, I would've never known he was even there if the announcer didn't mention it.

A few politicians show up at games during elections.. but the only one I can think of that goes to Seawolves games on a regular basis is (former) State Senator Arlis Sturgalewski ...and she's a huge fan. Good for her! :)

thesullysucks
07-01-2013, 02:49 PM
He'll be in a primary with Lesil McGuire, right? I've never seen her at a Seawolves game, but she's definitely at a lot of Aces games. Come to think of it.. the only time I've seen Dan Sullivan at a game was when the Aces were playing. :rolleyes: Then again, I would've never known he was even there if the announcer didn't mention it.

A few politicians show up at games during elections.. but the only one I can think of that goes to Seawolves games on a regular basis is (former) State Senator Arlis Sturgalewski ...and she's a huge fan. Good for her! :)
Politicians that don't go to hockey games still care about gathering votes.
Most of them could care less about what an individual thinks or wants.
They are only concerned with their own self interests.
The company that contributes to their reelection fund is who they care about. They also cow-tow to individuals who may be able to influence other individuals.
However if a group or segment of the voting population lets them know of a united concern/want the politician will weigh how many votes will be influenced and act accordingly to serve their own self interest.
Enough individuals and or groups contact them with their concerns and the politician will address those concerns.
You still wondering why the gov stepped into firing Cobb? If you are there's probably no hope for you.
If enough of us write to those running for election/re-election there could possibly be some promises of help for the hockey facilities in this town.

Seawolf Fan
07-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Politicians that don't go to hockey games still care about gathering votes.
Most of them could care less about what an individual thinks or wants.
They are only concerned with their own self interests.
The company that contributes to their reelection fund is who they care about. They also cow-tow to individuals who may be able to influence other individuals.
However if a group or segment of the voting population lets them know of a united concern/want the politician will weigh how many votes will be influenced and act accordingly to serve their own self interest.
Enough individuals and or groups contact them with their concerns and the politician will address those concerns.
You still wondering why the gov stepped into firing Cobb? If you are there's probably no hope for you.
If enough of us write to those running for election/re-election there could possibly be some promises of help for the hockey facilities in this town.
You'll have to get those "promises" publicised and kept in the news for those "promises" to become realities.
These are politicians you're dealing with.

Suze
07-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Just wondering.

Ask _airbanks fans. They have gorgeous, clear glass.

mmf
07-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Not sure what the actual cost ended up being for new dasher boards and glass, but the Juneau Empire had this little blurb back in Nov 2009.

New dasher boards for Nanooks
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009
The Fairbanks North Star Borough Assembly approved a $1 million state grant to pay for a new dasher board system at the 19-year-old Carlson Center. It will be installed next summer.

Seawolf Fan
07-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Not sure what the actual cost ended up being for new dasher boards and glass, but the Juneau Empire had this little blurb back in Nov 2009.

New dasher boards for Nanooks
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009
The Fairbanks North Star Borough Assembly approved a $1 million state grant to pay for a new dasher board system at the 19-year-old Carlson Center. It will be installed next summer.
They can give the richest companies in the world $2,000,000,000 every year.
But can't make a one time investment of 1/2000 of that amount?
Guess to some people there's nothing wrong with this picture.

ninelives
07-02-2013, 12:34 AM
Today was Coach Thomas' first day as Head Coach of the Seawolf hockey team. A pretty noteworthy event that was not covered at all in the local Media. Unless it slipped into a broadcast on the local news that I missed.

I am going assume that he made it into Anchorage yesterday but we don't know. Anyone with a new hockey coach sighting please let us know.......

Seawolf Fan
07-02-2013, 12:42 AM
Today was Coach Thomas' first day as Head Coach of the Seawolf hockey team. A pretty noteworthy event that was not covered at all in the local Media. Unless it slipped into a broadcast on the local news that I missed.

I am going assume that he made it into Anchorage yesterday but we don't know. Anyone with a new hockey coach sighting please let us know.......
Wish there had been more of a greeting.
However it makes it a great day to be a Seawolf!

ninelives
07-02-2013, 01:41 AM
Wish there had been more of a greeting.
However it makes it a great day to be a Seawolf!

I agree.....the booster club or the University should hold a reception for the coach to introduce him as the new head coach and show him that as fans we support him and the program.

And it is a great day to be a Seawolf!!

Alaska Hockey
07-02-2013, 02:19 AM
I agree.....the booster club or the University should hold a reception for the coach to introduce him as the new head coach and show him that as fans we support him and the program.

And it is a great day to be a Seawolf!! Maybe a closed party with season ticket holders.............:eek:

Suze
07-02-2013, 02:21 AM
Maybe a closed party with season ticket holders.............:eek:

All 200 of them? Come on!

Seawolf Fan
07-02-2013, 12:49 PM
All 200 of them to me is a good starting point. Easy to arrange and probably well attended.
Any ideas for introducing him to the general public? Something that would generate enough interest to entice attendance to come meet the coach. Perhaps game tickets to the first 2,000????
If you think that's a bad idea then along with panning the idea come up with your idea.

Alaska Hockey
07-02-2013, 12:54 PM
All 200 of them? Come on!
No…according to “the guy who left his members out to dry” said on his web page in a email to pat gamble his organization will be “part of the solution not the problem” so I am guessing he will have about 4000- 5000 season ticket holders signed up pretty soon, so will have to have the welcome to Seawolf nation at the Sully.:rolleyes:

Suze
07-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Matt’s contract did start on July 1st, that's true, but there has not been any Meet and Greet announced because he isn't here yet. He's had a lot on his plate and he needs to get his family here and get settled. It seems to me that it took Shyiak a while to get settled before the Meet and Greet was held at O'mally's on the Green. I’m sure UAA will do some sort of press conference when Matt gets here, and a Meet and Greet at some point this summer.

We are all anxious to meet him and hear what he has to say, but lets give he and his family some breathing room people.