X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
    OK, does anyone know that if they made a Change order today to add ice to new arena if in theory can happen? Or are we past point of no return?

Suze, I hope you are not mad at me for any reason. Going to email you.
    Do you know something we don't know?
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
      I doubt it as "change order's" are a contractor's dream money wise and that would be a redesigning nightmare.
      It'd probably be cheaper to buy the contractor a time share in Hawaii...
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• UAA has been the lucky beneficiary of at least $240,000,000 of new construction in the last decade. I'd bet you the next beer that the BOR approved all of that, and somehow the BOR is only supporting UAF? Copy.

Flame away.

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
        I understand the displeasure the Alums and the Alaska State Hockey Association has but I think they need to keep their fire going but redirect it to who writes the checks. First go to the Alaska University Regents as a courtesy and when they get the “You don’t need it as we need to keep UA_ going as it props up _airbanks” song and dance then storm the Anchorage legislative offices and demand a meeting with them. That’s where it all starts …..Top of the ladder, as long as their feet are not held in the fire nothing is going to get done with either an Ice Arena or upgrades to the campus to improve the “campus life of UAA”.
        Case in point why does UA_ have over 1900 dorms for 5,500 students and UAA has only 930 dorms for 15,500 students?
        Why doesn’t UAA have a Student Recreation Center? _airbanks has one for their 5,500 students.
        Also see you tonight and next week as we hear the rest of the candidates.
        Only 10 alums on Monday night … like all organizations 5-10 % run the whole thing.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          It'd probably be cheaper to buy the contractor a time share in Hawaii...
          Hey JJ, I accidentally sent you some neg rep, that was supposed to positive and funny. Sorry about that.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
            Football...never going to happen.
            As for a turf field there was talk of turfing over the Wellsfargo rink when the new arena was built.
            Maybe if we turf over the ice at the Wells Fargo, we could have an indoor football team. That was such a success up here that they might just go for it

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
              UAA has been the lucky beneficiary of at least $240,000,000 of new construction in the last decade. I'd bet you the next beer that the BOR approved all of that, and somehow the BOR is only supporting UAF? Copy.
              Just because there has been funding going to UAA, doesn't mean that the funding is deserved. Funding for projects at UAf is also a priority when looking at the age and condition of the some of the buildings, but the same can be said for UAA. In order to make this a top-notch university system, campuses will need to keep focusing on particular areas and do so funding needs to show to meet the needs of the growing fields. Nursing for example at UAA almost fills the Health Sciences building and is a very competitive program to get into.

But nobody can really justify that some of the basic structural needs at UAA haven't been met and are being focused elsewhere to projects that, though nice and ideal, don't really represent the primary deficiencies. Yea a new engineering building would be nice, but the housing at UAA is embarrassing, in quantity and condition (mostly). Housing at UAf, though older, at least meets the needs for a chunk of the students, which is certainly not the case at UAA.

The days of ACC are gone and infrastructure (not just building, but building the right buildings) is what is needed to build this school and the system up.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                At least I don't live in strip mall Wasilla!
                Stripmallsilla. ;0)

Comment

Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
                  Just because there has been funding going to UAA, doesn't mean that the funding is deserved. Funding for projects at UAf is also a priority when looking at the age and condition of the some of the buildings, but the same can be said for UAA. In order to make this a top-notch university system, campuses will need to keep focusing on particular areas and do so funding needs to show to meet the needs of the growing fields. Nursing for example at UAA almost fills the Health Sciences building and is a very competitive program to get into.

But nobody can really justify that some of the basic structural needs at UAA haven't been met and are being focused elsewhere to projects that, though nice and ideal, don't really represent the primary deficiencies. Yea a new engineering building would be nice, but the housing at UAA is embarrassing, in quantity and condition (mostly). Housing at UAf, though older, at least meets the needs for a chunk of the students, which is certainly not the case at UAA.

The days of ACC are gone and infrastructure (not just building, but building the right buildings) is what is needed to build this school and the system up.
                  I think that is well said. UAF can't even get money to replace its 50+ YO power plant, which is at the end of its life cycle. Things like that drive me nuts. To quote Shawshank Redemption, "How can you (legislature) be so obtuse?"

Anyway, carry on. Fire Cobb, rehire Shyiak, etc.
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

I think that is well said. UAF can't even get money to replace its 50+ YO power plant, which is at the end of its life cycle.
                    But it can get 100 million for a "Museum" who's main attraction is the "sound of the northern lights"? Or it can get another 100 million for an ocean research vessel while it's 400 miles from the nearest ocean? UAF may be the "Land Grant" institution and hence get all the research and science money but the truth is it is slowly becoming the little sister in the system after being the big sister for decades. Deal with it. More students are always going to go to UAA and so from this point forward more money is going to have to be spent there to accommodate the needs of the public ... 40 percent of which lives within 10 miles of it.

Maybe it's because a University with it's own power plant is an anachronism? Throwing good money away on something like that in this day and age would be the height of stupidity. Join the 21st century and connect to the modern power grid along with the rest of the modern world.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                      But it can get 100 million for a "Museum" who's main attraction is the "sound of the northern lights"? Or it can get another 100 million for an ocean research vessel while it's 400 miles from the nearest ocean? UAF may be the "Land Grant" institution and hence get all the research and science money but the truth is it is slowly becoming the little sister in the system after being the big sister for decades. Deal with it. More students are always going to go to UAA and so from this point forward more money is going to have to be spent there to accommodate the needs of the public ... 40 percent of which lives within 10 miles of it.

Maybe it's because a University with it's own power plant is an anachronism? Throwing good money away on something like that in this day and age would be the height of stupidity. Join the 21st century and connect to the modern power grid along with the rest of the modern world.
                      What he said!
                      Originally Posted by aparch
                      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I think that is well said. UAF can't even get money to replace its 50+ YO power plant, which is at the end of its life cycle.
                        they don’t use money at UA_ for coal plant rehab they go to……….Elmendorf air force base in Anchorage and ripped off all the parts from all but one of the power plant’s coal boiler’s said wasn’t like digging in a dumpster but was high-quality picking’s ….no fighting …no yelling Dibs no hoarding and camping on “your pile of parts” but it was lonely nobody else was there, but it was a “honey hole”
                        Things like that drive me nuts.
                        The UAA family member finally broke you of the scrounging habit huh????
                        To quote Shawshank Redemption, "How can you (legislature) be so obtuse?"
                        They pay attention to University Regents that are pleased just to find a freshly filled Dumpster.
                        Anyway, carry on. Fire Cobb, rehire Shyiak, etc.
                        At least we fire ….._airbanks just hires 2 more to cover their butt’s figuring out of the 3 somebody might guess right.
                        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

UAA has been the lucky beneficiary of at least $240,000,000 of new construction in the last decade. I'd bet you the next beer that the BOR approved all of that, and somehow the BOR is only supporting UAF? Copy.

Flame away.
                          And UAA should get the next $2,500,000,000.00 just to get even. Kind of hard not to approve money already given to you, even, if you are ****ed about it (Alaska Airlines Center).
                          It' was your turn buy cheapskate ........ yep they don't want another Chena blamed on them.
                          Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 04-25-2013, 01:37 AM.
                          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

How did Whitten's public interview thing go? (as a Tech fan, I'm mildly curious)
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              How did Whitten's public interview thing go? (as a Tech fan, I'm mildly curious)
                              Here's the link to an article about it in our local paper: http://www.adn.com/2013/04/24/287826...-coaching.html

Comment

Sounds like the new coaching staff will have to find one more foward as Michael Stenerson has changed his commitment to Vermont according to Heisenberg.
                                Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Working...
                                X