This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

FWIW, I've heard some rumors of UAA wanting to be D1 across the board for a while now. I personally think it's one of the reasons you are building a 5,000 seat arena for a basketball team that doesn't usually sell out its current 1,000 seat facility.

It might happen, or it might not. But I don't see it happening without a big time budget increase, and as Donald pointed out, athletics are simply not a major priority in the UA system. UAF can't even get a (majorly needed) Patty Center renovation on its top 10 infrastructure priority list.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      With all due respect, Cobb has been saying that a new hockey facility will be built on campus for YEARS. He's just tickling your ears.
      Suze,

I know you have mentioned this before several times. But Dr. Cobb continues to assure me that the new hockey facility will be a reality. So, anything else as I was saying is up for Analysis, debate and speculation.

As for Division I in all sports, this is true. The reason we can't sell out the 1,000 seat delapatated gym is because nobody wants to go and be uncomfertable except the die hard fans like me. I believe with a respectable facility, you will see many people go to the new arena to watch basketball. Also, it will allow the school to sell the club seats, etc. Our UAA peers are mostly division I in athletics such as Boise State, etc. The new arena supposed to set us up for Division I in all sports.

I respect many on this board because we all want the success of our program. Heck, I wear my UAA class ring 24/7. I took my UAA flag to Iraq and proudly sent pics back to school. So, like all of you, I want the best for our sport programs in particular our hockey program.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        FWIW, I've heard some rumors of UAA wanting to be D1 across the board for a while now. I personally think it's one of the reasons you are building a 5,000 seat arena for a basketball team that doesn't usually sell out its current 1,000 seat facility.

It might happen, or it might not. But I don't see it happening without a big time budget increase, and as Donald pointed out, athletics are simply not a major priority in the UA system. UAF can't even get a (majorly needed) Patty Center renovation on its top 10 infrastructure priority list.
        Well it isn't like they're doing D1 FBS Football. I could see D1 in all sports as feasible with the right conference (such as the Big Sky). The only problem I see is adding enough sports.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          Well it isn't like they're doing D1 FBS Football. I could see D1 in all sports as feasible with the right conference (such as the Big Sky). The only problem I see is adding enough sports.
          True. Although another roadblock is there isn't a whole lot of D-1 basketball/volleyball talent in AK. That's not to say you couldn't recruit some outside players at that level, but it would be a challenge. And you'd still have the same problem our hockey teams have with the top end talent leaving for a bigger and more prestigious Outside school. I'd love to see D-1 across the board at both schools, but reality is if it happened (at both or just UAA) it would be another Hawaii...generally mediocre across the board with major travel issues. What the new arena does give you is the ability to be a big fish in a small GNAC pond, which isn't entirely bad, at least for UAA.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
            Suze,

The reason we can't sell out the 1,000 seat delapatated gym is because nobody wants to go and be uncomfertable except the die hard fans like me. I believe with a respectable facility, you will see many people go to the new arena to watch basketball.
            At least at UAA you have some underswell of support for non-hockey facilites. UAF's Patty Center had nearly half of the 2,000 seats condemned last year. WFSC may be small, but it ain't that bad.

Comment

Here's a clip of the evening news on KTUU in Anchorage. The volume is pretty bad (on my computer anyway) .. but loud & clear if you happen to have headsets handy..

NBC Anchorage- http://www.ktuu.com/sports/ktuu-offi...,1332100.story

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaRox View Post
                Here's a clip of the evening news on KTUU in Anchorage. The volume is pretty bad (on my computer anyway) .. but loud & clear if you happen to have headsets handy..

NBC Anchorage- http://www.ktuu.com/sports/ktuu-offi...,1332100.story
                It was also mentioned that the late news will have info on Corbett's meet & greet today.
                Originally Posted by aparch
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Suze,

I know you have mentioned this before several times. But Dr. Cobb continues to assure me that the new hockey facility will be a reality. So, anything else as I was saying is up for Analysis, debate and speculation.
                  I've mentioned it because myself (and other fans) have been told this for 5 or 6 years now, and yet nothing has happened. After awhile you start to take things with a grain of salt, and that's where I am. Show me something concrete.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                    It was also mentioned that the late news will have info on Corbett's meet & greet today.
                    Awesome! Hopefully someone who went will pop by here with the scoop before then!

Comment

As for Division I in all sports, this is true. The reason we can't sell out the 1,000 seat delapatated gym is because nobody wants to go and be uncomfertable except the die hard fans like me. I believe with a respectable facility, you will see many people go to the new arena to watch basketball. Also, it will allow the school to sell the club seats, etc. Our UAA peers are mostly division I in athletics such as Boise State, etc. The new arena supposed to set us up for Division I in all sports.

I respect many on this board because we all want the success of our program. Heck, I wear my UAA class ring 24/7. I took my UAA flag to Iraq and proudly sent pics back to school. So, like all of you, I want the best for our sport programs in particular our hockey program.
                      I mean no disrespect to you, but I have heard the same assurances for several years now and have yet to see anything concrete either. It is still a "priority" for the department to get on-campus ice but nobody has yet to show anything at all definitive to that point and after years of hearing the same things, one gets less optimistic.

I hope you're right about the reasoning for few attendees at current sporting events. I'm not as optimistic that a prettier building will get filled with the same competition occurring there as what is currently available at WFSC. I hope I'll eat my words on the matter, but I still see the building as a money pit for all sports

Thank you for your service and for representing the university with such class! Regardless of the issue, I think we can all agree on that
                      Last edited by UAA Seawolves Fan; 04-23-2013, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                        We're unable to adequately fund the 2 D1 programs we have now. How in the world does anyone think we could fund several more?
                        The politicians could, if they wanted to, flood both UAA and UA_ with money for not just athletics but anything else needed to make both schools first rate if not first class. We had to beg and grovel for the money to get a decent engineering school going. And the only reason it was funded is because the oil companies want the engineers. Instead of funding schools at any level the politicians choose to give multi billion dollar gifts to the folks that fund their re-election. Or in 3 cases what their employers want. Think there might be the hint of a conflict of interest there? As our governor reminds us daily, we're going to have to tighten our belts in these tough economic times.
                        But Dr. Cobb is the problem? Give me a break.
                        We're getting what we voted for. Hockey program and all.
                        I think Seawolf sums it up about right. You can jump all over Cobb all you want. The problem lies in the legislature funding on campus ice. Not sure where all you detractors expect Cobb to get the money. Maybe he can just pull it out of his butt do you think? I think all you Cobb detractors are naive trying to get a guy fired who has pulled the whole department up to a number 12 out of 300 ranking. How about we try a tact with the people who control the money? The legislature. Put our efforts into getting the funding to put an ice rink on campus. Just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaRox View Post
                          Awesome! Hopefully someone who went will pop by here with the scoop before then!
                          The Meet & Greet was better attended than I had expected. Great to see so many people come out to support the program and show interest in the future of UAA hockey.

Corbett reminds me of his boss at AF when speaks in that he knows his way with words. He talked about forging strong ties with the community again and get the Sully back to the raucous atmosphere that he remembered playing in front a few decades ago. He emphasized the need to recruit locally and pick up those players that should be staying here instead of going somewhere else, while also discussing some of the differences in recruiting that he would face being able to recruit more than just Americans like he currently does. Sounds like his focus is more on faster players than bigger players and playing a smarter game instead of a rough game.

Comment

I met Damon Whitten once when he was an MSU hockey office staffer. Really good guy. Seems like he's done a decent job at MTU.

I wouldn't be upset at all if Whitten got the job, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Corbett. All that said, Cobb will probably hire an inanimate carbon rod.
                            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                            66 - 86 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Corbett said all the right things: fast, freewheeling game, no "system" just responsibilities, did I mention more speed?, guys need to want to wear the sweater, the facilities are what they are - deal with it, players and coaches involved in the community, don't step on any alumni financial toes, want high intensity, get the players involved with the students, no prima donnas, small steps, keep moving forward, did I mention more speed?, etc. etc. not a real polished speaker, however said all the right things and was convincing saying most of them.
                              I liked the guy and was suitably impressed with him and what he said. The other applicants are going to have to go some to measure up.

Comment

More Corbett: he'll be in the "trenches with his guys", all 3 coaches out recruiting, has contacts for successfull recruiting all areas, retain T.J. (he doesn't have any choice first year), has an alumni in mind for second/third assistant. Answered all questions head on. Was well prepared. I spoke with alumni who played juniors for him and they say he's "the guy".
                                My guess is about 75 people there. Anyone got another guess?

Comment

Working...
                                X