This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Looks like Hill has some fans in the hockey community...William Wrenn tweets

Comment

and apparently Sorenson doesn't sit to high with a current UAA player

Last edited by drcobbmustgonow; 04-17-2013, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Gee ... I wonder what NHL'rs Joey Crabb and Nate Thompson might say about Dennis Sorenson.

Comment

Originally posted by drcobbmustgonow View Post
          and apparently Sorenson doesn't sit to high with a current UAA player
          "current"

Comment

not much...already checked.
            I realize what the "local hockey community" says isn't quite as relevant as what you have to say. You're a hard one to please...if i would have posted w/o a link, I would have been ***** slapped for spreading rumors. I don't totally disagree with your Sorenson analysis..just thought it was interesting to hear from the kids in the trenches. Note that Wrenn's tweet was retweeted by a couple current UAA players.

--Dre

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
              Because I haven't said this in a couple of years: The Sully doesn't need to be renovated. It needs to be imploded. Hell, it needed to be imploded 10 years ago.
              Yes i agree, and there needs to be a rink on campus.
              Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                Gee ... I wonder what NHL'rs Joey Crabb and Nate Thompson might say about Dennis Sorenson.
                for starters…………”My parents had to shell out a lot of money so I could play for Sorenson’s ALL Star’s team so I would be considered suitable to take part in Varsity Hockey at Diamond High School. “
                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by drcobbmustgonow View Post
                  Looks like Hill has some fans in the hockey community...William Wrenn tweets

Well since Wrenn didn't even stay home and play for UAA, I really don't think he is deeply concerned about the success (or lack of) of the program. He wasn't here when Hill led the team to a ZERO league win season. Hill is lucky he wasn't fired then.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                    Well since Wrenn didn't even stay home and play for UAA, I really don't think he is deeply concerned about the success (or lack of) of the program. He wasn't here when Hill led the team to a ZERO league win season. Hill is lucky he wasn't fired then.
                    Well Hill does have 4 playoff wins which is more than the other 3 have combined, so i'll give him that.
                    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                      for starters…………”My parents had to shell out a lot of money so I could play for Sorenson’s ALL Star’s team so I would be considered suitable to take part in Varsity Hockey at Diamond High School. “
                      And what good hockey players don't shell out money for comp teams? Only every kid playing junior hockey or college hockey has parents who shelled out money for a comp team.

The point here is that we would find an array of preferences amongst UAA Alumni and those with ties to Anchorage hockey. Because William Wrenn thinks Hill is a good choice doesn't make it so. And Bobby Murphy tweeting something negative about a potential head coach? Just boneheaded and potentially harmful to his hockey career regardless of who is hired.

Comment

Concerning the new UAA arena that is being built on campus, is there any provision(s) to possibly put in ice later on? And would the size/sightlines be conducive to hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                          And what good hockey players don't shell out money for comp teams? Only every kid playing junior hockey or college hockey has parents who shelled out money for a comp team.

The point here is that we would find an array of preferences amongst UAA Alumni and those with ties to Anchorage hockey. Because William Wrenn thinks Hill is a good choice doesn't make it so. And Bobby Murphy tweeting something negative about a potential head coach? Just boneheaded and potentially harmful to his hockey career regardless of who is hired.
                          DD, My guess would be Bobby communicates with at least some of his team mates. With that said his feelings on the coach subject probably have been at least somewhat influenced on what they think. And just maybe Bobby is enough like you that he has the guts to say what he really thinks instead of being politically correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Well they are the coaches that actually win at UAA so that counts.

I guess.
                            They certainly are the coaches that win at UAA. No qualms there. But nobody on that committee knows enough about hockey to be selecting a coach. Looks more like a business decision than an athletic team decision.

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                              Yes i agree, and there needs to be a rink on campus.
                              There's a novel thought. But I think any chance of that shipping coming to port disappeared when it was cut from the current project. I'd love for that to happen and certainly support it but it should have been part of the current project if it were to happen.

Originally posted by bcuafmsu2 View Post
                              Concerning the new UAA arena that is being built on campus, is there any provision(s) to possibly put in ice later on? And would the size/sightlines be conducive to hockey?
                              My understanding is no. Once the current building is finished than it is finished due to the gym (that won't be filled except for concerts, maybe graduations, and perhaps some day the Shootout) and the auxiliary gym. The current "plan" for on-campus ice is to have a separate facility, away from the current project, to accommodate hockey. This is still a "priority" for our athletic department, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by bcuafmsu2 View Post
                                Ice Hockey will never be played in the new building. Your question has been debated, advocated and argued at length by a wide range of people interested in and connected to UAA hockey. The prevailing position is that it is expensive and cumbersome to changeover between sports. Additionally, it would doom whatever hope there is to one day see a standalone rink for the program.

There are many sides and points regarding this and my answer above is only an explanation of the state of affairs in that regard.

Comment

Working...
                                X